AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I agonized for weeks over which TV to get, spent hours comparing them online, in stores, and reading reviews. I talked a friend of a friend's ear off about his Sammy HLM507W. I dragged friends I've known for 10 years away from their families so they could render their opinions.

I finally decided that the HLN507W sounded like the set for us. It'll be our 1st large screen, nevermind HD or ED set.

Then I spent hours looking for someone with a reasonable price and a good reputation, and then presented the funding proposal to my wife. To my great pleasure and amazement, she approved - (she even said that if we had the space, she'dve pushed for the 61" instead of the 50"! Damn this small house!)

We pulled the trigger about a week and a half ago. I ordered it knowing that there'd be a delay. I figured I could handle it.

I can't sleep. I wander around the house muttering to myself and scratching at my arms. I refuse to watch movies on these inferior TVs, knowing that I'm going to want to see them again when my set... my precious... arrives. My wife's about to make me sleep in the spare room. My dogs won't come to me anymore when I call. People I don't know come up to me in public and ask if I'm okay.

I got an email tonight. My set should be here Friday.

How is everyone else handling it? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
smalloy, you are about to enter real world...

It is just normal that you are having the problems.

It is called Matrix.

You will see a new world through the 507.

When you see the real new world, you won't be back.

Congratulation! for your new Sammy507? or 617?

You made the best choice. I am sure you will love this 507.

I have a 617 and my wife and I are really enjoying this TV.

Right now we are watching this thread together, mostly we surf internet together because this monitor is big enough for everybody in my room.

Just amazing!

Our room for this TV is just 22 x 17, we are mostly seating in about 9-14' from the TV. I don't think you'll have any trouble with 61".

It will be lots of fun with the TV.

I hope you stand strongly until the moment. he he

:D :D

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Smalloy what are you going to do if they call to tell you that a fork lift driver ran over your set?

You know a HLN567 is only 3" wider than a HLN507. That might be fatal--it's a longer wait.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Maybe a valium or lorazepam?

Seriously, Does the store have a trial period?

Have you searched out all the potential problems

(and benefits1) on this forum?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We decided on the HLN507W - the price point and size of the set matched our needs pretty well - and waiting another month or two would drive us both nuts. Plus I've learned over the years that there's always something better "just around the corner".

I did do my research here and elsewhere about buying online. I've made major purchases online over the years (engagement ring - really!) and am comfortable with how this is set up. The vendor seems to be admired in several areas on this board, is an authorized Samsung dealer, has kept me informed, etc. I have no complaints so far.

I did attempt to buy locally first, however, as I reckognize that there's some value in that. None of the local mid-high end retailers impressed me though. I might go as far as to say that a couple of them p*ssed me off.

So, online it is.

The current entertainment center gets disassembled tomorrow. The digital cable box goes back to Time Warner in exchange for a HD-capable box sometime this week. The Avia DVD has already arrived.

*scratch, scratch* *twitch*

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Good luck! Here is a tip. Get a big bucket of lard and start slathering ...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Sorry, but no sympathy from me. A lot of us on the board ordered these through a Powerbuy. We waited months and had a couple false "shipping next week" alarms along the way.

Know that once the TV arrived, it was so great it made up for the waiting and the teasing. So I'm sure you'll be fine once it actually arives :)

Enjoy,

Sal

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Dammit! Don't freak out all us 507 purchasers with headlines of "HLN507W Problem"

But actually... having decided yesterday to get it, yeah I can relate to the suspense, the "quiet desperation" as it were.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
Sorry, but no sympathy from me. A lot of us on the board ordered these through a Powerbuy.
I've been hearing about this "powerbuy" but have no idea how it works, how much you're each paying for it and... whether it's over?

Anyone? (that means you, Salmoneous!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The powerbuy he's referring to was through TV Authority, I think, and happened as the HLM's were first being released.

Basically, a bunch of people on here agreed to purchase the sets, and then had a 3-month wait as Samsung (?) had a number of repeated delays in getting them delivered.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Every now and then, the hosts of this forum will facilitate what they call a Powerbuy. Basically, they go to a seller and say, "we've got 20-50-100 people who want to buy your product, can you give us a deal?" Once the details are set, the hosts get out of the way, the buyers get a great bargain, and the seller unloads a truckload of product. These are usually one-shot limited time deals.

They set one of these up for the Samsung DLP's last year. Unexpected delays hit and people b!tched (and b!tched and b!tched) at anyone and everyone. In the end, most people got their TV's just fine at a great price. I suspect that our hosts - who aren't involved in the transaction and are just setting things up as a favor to the community - are more gunshy about setting these up than they used to be. There's a separate forum for Powerbuys that you can visit to see if any are active - but I can pretty much promise you there isn't one on Samsung DLP's!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.