AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the sammy for three months, and the picture is outstanding. I have had a front projector LCD and a rear projector CRT and nothing compares to this picture. I do have one problem however that I need help with. The set is very prone to "pattern problems". It has a difficult time with any object that has vertical or horizontal lines such as blinds on a window, a car grille, buildings with horizontal lines, even stacked dishes. It is almost as if the comb filter is not working. I have noticed that the problem decreases as the picture quality increases so rarely is it a problem with HD. I was going to call Samsung and decided to see if any one else on the forum is having a similar problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Wex

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wex237
The set is very prone to "pattern problems". It has a difficult time with any object that has vertical or horizontal lines such as blinds on a window, a car grille, buildings with horizontal lines, even stacked dishes.

Wex
What you are seeing may be in the source and caused by compression algorithms. You may want to describe what you are seeing with more information about the source and what connections you are using. A "subject" that indicates exactly what your question is might get response from more people who are better informed than I am.

Have you read the "HLN Guide" that Arun Gupta wrote? If not, click on the "popular" link at the bottom of my message and go to the Samsung section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This problem has occurred with all source material including DVD. Unfortunately, I only have component connections as my cable box does not have DVI output as yet. As good as this set is, there is no doubt it is very demanding of good source material. Until I get DVI input into this set I will have to bite the bullet and live with some minor SD problems.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Your problem is either in the source (80% probabilty) or caused by the component connection (20% probability). I have confirmed through a significant amount of investigation that TV itself does not introduce ANY artifacts other than "Dark shades dithering" - see my signature.

While you are waiting for cable box to go DVI, I highly recommend that you invest ~$200 in a DVI equipped DVD player - Bravo D1 if you get one now. Also see link in my signature for upcoming players.

When you do get a new DVI equipped DVD player, I recommend that you try a DVD where you had observed an artifact. Then see if the artifact went away through the DVI connection. If it stays, then it is in the source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.