AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just purchased a Samsung HLP 5085W.

A group of us were watching a movie on it the other day when one person noted a "fluctuation of pixels" during certain scenes. Example: While watching Phantom Menace, during the scene where they are running through the building with long windows he noticed it the most. In the reflection on the floor he said it looked like "Ants dancing around"

Others were unable to see it.

Aslo, we were unable to adjust the tint to meet the Video essentials standard while attempting to calibrate it. (Using the progressive componet inputs)

We were thinking of using the DVI input (But that would mean buying a new DVD player) to maybe help the PQ ?? Or would that just take away more picture adjustments and make it more difficult to calibrate?

Is this a calibration issue?

Samsung issue?

or maybe a DLP issue in general where only certain people can see certain issues like Rainbows?

· Registered
185 Posts
You can only make adjustments to the Tint when dealing with the DVI or HMDI inputs. Other than that you are out of luck for tint controls. however you might want to try taking it off of progressive mode...Ive read on here that sometimes the DVD players actually look better like this.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is that?....What is the theory behind Samsung disabling the tint adjustment when using componet progressive inputs? I don't get it:confused:

Also, anyone else ever see the fluctuation of pixels with this set? or screen Smudges?

· Registered
615 Posts
I have seen a HLN look much better with the DVD player progressive setting turned off (component connections).

Ken

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately we are returning the set to B.B. this week....The smudges, Lip sync, lack of tint adjustment in progressive mode, and dithering issues, are just more than we can deal with in a nearly 4K $ set.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We returned the set yesterday to B.B. for a full refund.

Unfortunately we had to explain the problems with the set several times to multiple sales people and the operations manager. "Apparently" all of them were unaware of these issues and became argumentative with us about the problems because they had never seen any of these issues with their sets in the store. You would think they would be a little more accommodating considering my friend just put $4,000 back in his pocket and is now undecided as to which TV he wants. I was expecting them to apologize to him for being disappointed with his purchase, instead of arguing with him about why he is returning it. Maybe they just got defensive because we knew 10 times more about Samsung and the issues than they did? B.B better get more educated about the products they are selling and learn to treat customers (especially knowledgeable ones) with more respect if they expect to compete in the buisness world.

· Registered
1,312 Posts
If those guys were on 50k+ a year salary, then u can expect them to know more about products... Part timers looking for weekend jobs won't know as much as you about TVs or electronics.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gun
B.B better get more educated about the products they are selling and learn to treat customers (especially knowledgeable ones) with more respect if they expect to compete in the buisness world.
They ARE competing in the business world.

If they can offer a lower price and have salespeople who do not know ****, they will still sell a helluva lot of tvs and so on.

If you do not like it, go to ultimate electronics or a specialty store.

For me, i do not care about knowlegable sales people. I do my own research. I know that not everyone is like that though.

· Registered
2,946 Posts
The "ants dancing around" which you describe is often referred to as "mosquito noise". When I was researching sets and was auditioning the Samsung HLNs at a local Tweeter, the mosquito noise was the most easily observed issue with these sets (even easier to notice than the common lip-sync problems, which aren't apparent if one isn't using external speakers).

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RockStrongo
They ARE competing in the business world.

If they can offer a lower price and have salespeople who do not know ****, they will still sell a helluva lot of tvs and so on.

If you do not like it, go to ultimate electronics or a specialty store.

For me, i do not care about knowlegable sales people. I do my own research. I know that not everyone is like that though.
Competing. NOT. If they were, they would'nt have allowed my friend to walk back out the door with $4,000. Very Dumb on their part to start arguing with us about all the reasons (All legitimate ones too) he was returning it, instead of not doing what it takes to earn back the business they had just lost.

We may go to specialty shop or may go to C.C.....and yes, we do our own research as well.......the point is instead of calling out the operations manager to continue to argue about issues the Sammy obviously has, they should have been trying to get him into something he would be happy with.

Letting him walk out the door with $4,000 is not competing for business. B.B. should stand for bad business.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gun
Competing. NOT. If they were, they would'nt have allowed my friend to walk back out the door with $4,000. Very Dumb on their part to start arguing with us about all the reasons (All legitimate ones too) he was returning it, instead of not doing what it takes to earn back the business they had just lost.

We may go to specialty shop or may go to C.C.....and yes, we do our own research as well.......the point is instead of calling out the operations manager to continue to argue about issues the Sammy obviously has, they should have been trying to get him into something he would be happy with.

Letting him walk out the door with $4,000 is not competing for business. B.B. should stand for bad business.
Well, if he was within the 30 days (or whatever BB return period is) then you should have not had an issue. But, Best Buy IS one of the only electronic stores that I know of that does not charge restocking though. In that regard, he saved money.

His $4k was nothing, there was probably someone else there buying a set soon there after.

Your friend should have called Samsung to come look at it. That would have been the proper recourse. Thats just my opinion.

They have to make sure that something is defective before they just accept a return of that size.

As far as competing, they are one of the most successful electronics stores (if not THE most successful). They have their quirks, but people continue to shop there due to the prices. That will not change due to making a few customers unhappy (ive been one of them before too).

In my opinion, your friend should have called Samsung tech support first.

· Registered
179 Posts
Billy Gun,

That's unfortunate you ended up returning the set. I purchased one last month and have been very satisfied with it. In regards to the "mosquito noise" it could be several things. The set has a digital noise reduction setting that seems to sometimes reduce some of these effects and other times make it worse. (I leave it off.) I have noticed some digital artifacts using the DVI connection, but they were player related. I'm wondering what kind of DVD player you were using and how you had it hooked up (s-video, component?) was the player older, without progressive scan capabilities? How was the sharpness level on the tv set? Any chance of RF interference in the AC line? Any one of these things can make a difference and result in the video issues you described. I run my HD satellite via component and apart from the occasional digital noise on some programming, there is nothing that I would consider unusual for a digital television. (There's quite a bit of video processing going on in these sets and sometimes you might see things that you never saw with a standard analog set.) As far as adjusting the tint, it cannot be changed through the on screen menu using a DVI connection either. This adjustment can be made through the service menu. In regards to the lip-sync issue, the only time I occasionaly notice this is when watching some programming through the local HD antenna. It's few and far between though. No problems whatsoever through the satellite feed.

· Registered
179 Posts
Currently I'm using the sets speakers (satellite reciever audio output through the standard RCA audio jacks), but I plan to run the audio to my audio receiver this weekend. (Coax digital from the satellite receiver) I'll be doing the same with my DVD player. I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
10 Posts
Is there a belief that the Kirk somehow delays the sound with the video so that there is less sync issues when using the set's speakers and that Carlos will discover a problem once he attaches his AVR?

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CarlosC
Billy Gun,

That's unfortunate you ended up returning the set. I purchased one last month and have been very satisfied with it. In regards to the "mosquito noise" it could be several things. The set has a digital noise reduction setting that seems to sometimes reduce some of these effects and other times make it worse. (I leave it off.) I have noticed some digital artifacts using the DVI connection, but they were player related. I'm wondering what kind of DVD player you were using and how you had it hooked up (s-video, component?) was the player older, without progressive scan capabilities? How was the sharpness level on the tv set? Any chance of RF interference in the AC line? Any one of these things can make a difference and result in the video issues you described. I run my HD satellite via component and apart from the occasional digital noise on some programming, there is nothing that I would consider unusual for a digital television. (There's quite a bit of video processing going on in these sets and sometimes you might see things that you never saw with a standard analog set.) As far as adjusting the tint, it cannot be changed through the on screen menu using a DVI connection either. This adjustment can be made through the service menu. In regards to the lip-sync issue, the only time I occasionaly notice this is when watching some programming through the local HD antenna. It's few and far between though. No problems whatsoever through the satellite feed.
Carlos,

We were using a Denon DVD player using componet progressive scan. The sharpness was set using the video essentials DVD during the calibration.

video sync issues were apparent while watching normal NTSC Adlephia RG-6 connection from the wall.

Even if we could have somehow got the tint adjustment figured out the screen fogging/smudge issue was the last straw. What a BIG dissapointment the Sammy was for a $4,000 investment. Glad my friend got his money back for it.

I hope you don't have any of these issues with yours. Good luck.

Billy

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pshughes
Is there a belief that the Kirk somehow delays the sound with the video so that there is less sync issues when using the set's speakers and that Carlos will discover a problem once he attaches his AVR?
We noticed the video syn problem through the Sammy's speakers AND routing audio through the Denon Receiver my friend has.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RockStrongo
Well, if he was within the 30 days (or whatever BB return period is) then you should have not had an issue. But, Best Buy IS one of the only electronic stores that I know of that does not charge restocking though. In that regard, he saved money.

His $4k was nothing, there was probably someone else there buying a set soon there after.

Your friend should have called Samsung to come look at it. That would have been the proper recourse. Thats just my opinion.

They have to make sure that something is defective before they just accept a return of that size.

As far as competing, they are one of the most successful electronics stores (if not THE most successful). They have their quirks, but people continue to shop there due to the prices. That will not change due to making a few customers unhappy (ive been one of them before too).

In my opinion, your friend should have called Samsung tech support first.
I really could'nt disagree with you more.

$4K was nothing to them maybe, but that attitude is wrong. It is a lot of money to most consumers out there. There are people who I talked to today at work that also told me they don't go to B.B. anymore because of the same reasons I mentioned. I'm sure there are several others out there who also won't shop there because of similar problems. So I wouldn't be so quick to think that it is only a few unhappy customers. I would bet there are there are SEVERAL unhappy customers. I don't care how much money they bring in, they could be taking in a lot more with some simple attitude adjustments with their staff, even if they are already #1 as you implied, a good business is always looking for ways to make more money. Too bad they are missing out on that.

As far as somebody buying a set soon there after, that may be, but guess what? those are coming back too. There were 2 other identical Sammy models like my friends sitting on the floor as open box buys. So that now makes 3 identical used Sammy kirk sets sitting in just that particular B.B. alone... returned for some reason another. In my business (Which happens to be Quality assurance) that smells like a trend. and not a good one at that, I wonder how those customers were treated when they returned theirs?

By calling Samsung that it would have caused delays when my friend was already in the final days of the 30 day trail period causing him to end up being stuck with an obviously poorly designed set. Not good either.

If you research the Sammy, it is rapidly becoming well known for the smudges and video syn issues, of which there really isn't a proper fix for. I would rather not have to deal with a Samsung "Band aid" fix for the set when it really should'nt even be on the market with these problems.

We'll see if samsung recalls these sets eventually. But probably not, cause it is easier and more cost effctive for them to Band aid problems in the field as they arise, because most consumers won't be that critical of their sets performance and may not even notice most of these issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.