AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my Samsung HLP color wheel and adjusting the index, my colors are very good in daylight scenes, but I have blue/green banding/posterization in the dark areas of black and white movies and in the dark areas of color movies. Brightness increase in the user menu removes banding, but bleaches out the otherwise vivid colors. Are there any service menu adjustments that adust out banding in dark scenes?

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_777 /forum/post/0

After replacing my Samsung HLP color wheel and adjusting the index, my colors are very good in daylight scenes, but I have blue/green banding/posterization in the dark areas of black and white movies and in the dark areas of color movies. Brightness increase in the user menu removes banding, but bleaches out the otherwise vivid colors. Are there any service menu adjustments that adust out banding in dark scenes?

How did you adjust the "index"?

My guess would be an issue with the color wheel timing.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjw /forum/post/0

How did you adjust the "index"?

My guess would be an issue with the color wheel timing.

That's a real possibility.

Our calibrated HLP has neither problem. There is an owner's thread for the HLP sets. Maybe someone has written about adusting the color wheel timing. You can also have it professionally calibrated. If you did that, it would be a good idea to have a fairly new lamp before you have the work done.

HLPXX63W Owners Thread/Problems/Tweaks/Service Menu/Discretes etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The index that I adjusted was the Index Delay. The Factory Service Manual suggests adjusting it to find minimum and maximum red color at the bottom of the screen, then adjusting to the mean value.

Thanks for the feedback. I will search the forums for color wheel timing adjustments. I currently know of no way to adjust color wheel timing, but then again, two weeks ago I didn't know the Index Delay was an adjustable parameter related to the color wheel!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Index Delay IS color wheel timing. Does anyone know of any other color wheel timing parameters? Any other thoughts regarding how to reduce banding, solarization, posterization in dark scenes after a color wheel change and Index Delay adjustment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.