AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to connect a Samsung HLP DLP TV with the VGA input from HTPC? My father just bought the TV and he doesn't want to mess with any programs to get the HTPC to work. He wants it to work straight out of the box. He has an ATI 9700 AIW with the vga connector and the new Cat 4.10 drivers. Will he have any problems connecting it? Will there be any overscan at 720p or 1080i? Will it look as good as the component cables from an ATI card at the same resolutions?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If you get this set use the DVI connection, it works great right out of the box. It has 3 picture sizes, expand (1:1 1280x720) wide tv (normal overscan) and wide pc (underscanned). DVI will be the highest quality connection you'll get.

I have the HLP 5063 and it has been great since day 1, made for PCs IMHO.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have my HTPC connected via VGA, works great. I'm using my samsung dvd player via DVI. The overscan is OK for movies, you lose about an inch of screen. Not so good for the regular desktop. Hard to manuver

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Wayne,

How much overscan do you get with "expand" compared to wide TV? I have the HLN with only wide TV and wide PC modes.
Cliff:

With "expand" you get less overscan then WIDE TV but lmore than WIDE PC which is now adjustable with the latest firmware v1033. If you search my posts I posted some pics of the OSD for this.

Expand on the HLP matches the panel to the aspect ratio of the source, so this is how you get 1:1 pixel mapping on the HLP. The overscan is just enough, but I do see sidebars on 1.66:1 anamorphic enhanced DVDs like Disneys' Tarzan & Aladdin.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I set black level using DVE low APL black level test pattern.

Don't know about DVI black crush & don't want to know...I'm having a good day so far. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.