AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung HLP-5663W and a Toshiba HD-A2. I'm curious what settings users with similar setups (i.e. Samsung HLP series and Toshiba HD-A2) are using. Of course, I'm just trying to get the best possible picture quality from my setup. Here are my current settings:

Toshiba HD-A2:

* Output Resolution = 720P

* Enhanced Black Levels = OFF

Samsung HLP-5663W:

* Input = HDMI

* Picture Size = Expand (Supposedly 1:1 Pixel Mapping)

* Picture Mode = Cinema

* Contrast = 90

* Brightness = 50

* Sharpness = 0

* Color = 50

* Digital NR = OFF

* Dnie = ON

Also curious if anyone switched from this setup to a new 1080p TV and noticed a significant difference.

· Registered
16,406 Posts
Try comparing 720p and 1080i out from the A2 to see which you prefer (some seem to prefer 720p and others 1080i to 720p displays).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

Try comparing 720p and 1080i out from the A2 to see which you prefer (some seem to prefer 720p and others 1080i to 720p displays).

Hi Bill. I couldn't tell any significant difference between my initial experiments between 1080i and 720p. I went ahead and stuck with 720p.

I recently discovered the "Expand" setting on the Samsung DLP which supposedly enables 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm guessing the only way to make use of this feature is to feed a 720p signal to the TV (i.e. native resolution).

I had been previously been using the "Wide TV" setting instead of "Expand" setting at 720p, and I think the "Expand" setting at 720p is sharper with less artifacts. I'm not sure if the 1:1 pixel mapping is actually better, or if this is just physcological...

· Registered
2,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflexstudios /forum/post/0

I recently discovered the "Expand" setting on the Samsung DLP which supposedly enables 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm guessing the only way to make use of this feature is to feed a 720p signal to the TV (i.e. native resolution).

I had been previously been using the "Wide TV" setting instead of "Expand" setting at 720p, and I think the "Expand" setting at 720p is sharper with less artifacts. I'm not sure if the 1:1 pixel mapping is actually better, or if this is just physcological...

The Expand setting reduces overscan, which is why I use it on my HLP-5053.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 /forum/post/0

The Expand setting reduces overscan, which is why I use it on my HLP-5053.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. Do you think you could take a shot at explaining what overscan really is? Seems like a "smart" 720p TV should automatically enable 1:1 pixel mapping if it receives a native 720p signal. Does overscan take the 720p signal, downcovert to 540p, and upconvert back to 720p? Sorry, just trying to understand what the term "overscan" means.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Overscanning is when the display in effect zooms in a little bit on the image (say 10-15 pixels on all sides, don't know for sure in this case), so that the entire image is not visible. You can see this for yourself. Tune to a channel that has a logo in a bottom corner, such as ABC or ESPN. Toggle between Expand and WideTV and you will see, on WideTV, the logo sits closer to the edges of the screen than it does with Expand. That's because the WideTV setting presents an image that is cropped slightly and then zoomed out to fill the screen to prevent any edges from showing. But the only time I see an edge on Expand is occasionally with ABC or HBO on the top of my screen and then generally only during a 4:3 commercial or promo.

Make sense?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 /forum/post/0

Overscanning is when the display in effect zooms in a little bit on the image (say 10-15 pixels on all sides, don't know for sure in this case), so that the entire image is not visible. You can see this for yourself. Tune to a channel that has a logo in a bottom corner, such as ABC or ESPN. Toggle between Expand and WideTV and you will see, on WideTV, the logo sits closer to the edges of the screen than it does with Expand. That's because the WideTV setting presents an image that is cropped slightly and then zoomed out to fill the screen to prevent any edges from showing. But the only time I see an edge on Expand is occasionally with ABC or HBO on the top of my screen and then generally only during a 4:3 commercial or promo.

Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Thanks for explaining it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.