AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TV SOS!!!: I have a Samsung HLP5685w DLP HDTV. The old bulb ran out, the TV turned off and flashed a bulb defect warning light after 4.5 years of use. I bought a new one from advancedlamps.com

* I placed the new one in the TV, screwed the cover back on, and still getting a "bulb defect" warning light from the TV.

* I sent back the bulb but the in house tests revealed no issues.

* I got a new bulb sent to me and that does not work as well. I have tried everything I can think of (including putting little bit of styrofoam to push the safety blue toggle UP) and no luck.

If you have friends or contacts who could help ASAP, Plz pass my name. Thx!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.f.hanna /forum/post/17015218

What is a ballast?

From web definitions:

A device used with an electric-discharge lamp to obtain the necessary circuit conditions (voltage, current and waveform) for starting and operating: all fluorescent and high intensity discharge (HID) light sources require a ballast for proper operation.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.f.hanna /forum/post/17013773

...If you have friends or contacts who could help ASAP, Plz pass my name. Thx!

Do you hear the colorwheel spin up?

Do you hear the ballast firing?

The ballast will not fire until the colorwheel spins up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dilemma is twofold (or more):

If the ballast is not the cost of the issue I will shell something for a part I didnt need? Question: Anyway I can isolate this to the ballast. Definitely I am hearing the TV come on with a whine and a multiple clicking sound as it shuts down and reboots itself again

If I bring in a service technician to get to true root cause that will probably cost a great deal of money as well.

I guess I am trying to save as much money as possible, on top of the 150 + shipping I have already spent on the new bulb. Very frustrating

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You won't SEE the colorwheel spinning. What you are seeing and probably hearing is a fan. Colorwheel should sound very high pitch. It's not easy for an untrained ear to know the difference between healthy colorwheel noise, bad colorwheel noise, and fan noise. Also not easy to know the difference between relay clicks and ballast firing. Others have posted video with sound of the Tv starting up...

·
Registered
25 Posts
what lights are blinking on your TV besides the Lamp?

also, was your TV vibrating mechanically?

I suspect a color wheel. there is no way to see if it is spinning, and they are prone to fail after about 3 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts