AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the specs of Tvs is almost like trying to read a foreign language to me. I was at XXXXthe other day and saw a "nice" Samsung 56" 16:9 HDTV DLP Projection TV w/ Matching Stand for $XXXX. I forgot to get the model number, but on their website, they list one seems to be the same as Model HLR5656C.

Then in yesterday's paper, I saw XXXXXs circular for a Samsung 50" DLPâ„¢ HDTV (HL-R5067W) for $XXXXwith a free Insignia home theatre system and a free DirectTV HDTV receiver. This one doesn't come with a stand, which would cost an additional $225.

** Just noticed XXXXXXXXX has the same TV for $XXXX, but is it not worth it to pay an extra $200 for the addtional "free" stuff? **

Bottom line is, a 56" HLR5656C TV with stand for $XXXX and a 50" HL-R5067W TV for $XXXX plus $250 for the stand. It's 6" smaller, but I'm not sure if one is missing any features.

(I read people saying sometimes are missing features, but I have no idea what to look for)

Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The free stuff from Best Buy is only online as far as I know. I think the special BB is running this week is for 24 month financing on HDTV's. If you like Best Buy enoguh to shop there, just have them price match to Circuit City.

As far as the Costco version, I have no knowledge there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to look at the Costco model again and on the TV itself, the model is labeled as HLR5656WX, but on the boxes, they're labeled "C".

If the only difference is a cablecard slot, but the pic quality,etc is similar, I think I'd go with the Costco one for the same price, but 6" larger.

Does anyone know if Bestbuy online price matches? I'm guessing they won't because they'll claim that they offer free stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's so special about the "Costco" Special? Do you know if it's any different than the regular HLR5656? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoke to sales Samsung sales rep yesterday and he stated that the 5656 is a hybird,, last years hd2+ chip and cabinet with some other current year parts. Difference in ports can be seen at Samsung's website by looking at the manuals,, This model is similar to the 5667w but without the cablecard, firewire, pc in, and glink ports.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AKAstp, you have me worryed as to which chip is in the HLR5656W. I just bought it tonight but have not opened it up. Is there any way to tell for sure what chip is in the box? The sales rep was pretty certain that it was the HD2+,, maybe I should call back.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt500
AKAstp, you have me worryed as to which chip is in the HLR5656W. I just bought it tonight but have not opened it up. Is there any way to tell for sure what chip is in the box? The sales rep was pretty certain that it was the HD2+,, maybe I should call back.
Just turn it on (start up a DVD or broadcast), get 12" from the screen and look at the pixel pattern. If it is an HD2+ set than the pixels will form a pattern composed of little rectangles and look like what you see in a window screen. If you can not see the distinct rectangles, than it is an HD3 or HD4 wobulated chip. Please report back with your observations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have a membership.

tygger, like it says above:

If it is an HD2+ set than the pixels will form a pattern composed of little rectangles and look like what you see in a window screen. If it is the HD3/HD4 then you will see a faint diamond-shaped grid pattern only when there is motion or camera movement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see if I can stop by tomorrow or Friday. But being that I've never seen the difference, I dont know if I'll be able to tell. While looking at various tvs on display, I've never noticed a difference. It must be one of those things where you have to actually be looking for it. ???

I'm sure you can get in without a membership. Just walk in and tell them that you want to inquire about a new membership. They'll point you to the customer service desk. From there, you can just walk away and find the TV section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got one of these today. It to me looks like it has diamond patterns. HD4? The picture looks great to me. I didn't need the PC in or CC as I use the 8300HD.

Wes

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygger
I'll see if I can stop by tomorrow or Friday. But being that I've never seen the difference, I dont know if I'll be able to tell.
Remember that you have to get within inches of the screen. If you don't see the pixel grid then the chip has to be a "HD4" chip unless your eyes can't focus from one foot or less.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
On an HD3 or HD4 you should be able to see the diamond-shaped pattern of the pixel grid when there is motion or camera movement. Try it on your HLP5063. ;)
True, but I didn't expect him to stand there waiting for the right scene. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
they have this set at the Costco in Mountain View, CA. i'll take a closer look next time i'm there. i didn't give it much thought because i assumed samsung was just rebadging last year's hlp5663 set for costco. the outer chassis is identical to the hlp5663, as opposed to the "floating screen" design of the hlrxx67 models. it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that costco was selling what would essentially be last year's hlp model, given that costco continued to sell a 50" hln model for the longest time (in fact, they might still be selling the hln model in Bay Area stores). :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me get this straight before I buy. Is everyone saying that I would be better to buy the HLP 5674 instead of the HLR5656? I will be watching from 12' away. I will also be using DISH instead of cable.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailie
Let me get this straight before I buy. Is everyone saying that I would be better to buy the HLP 5674 instead of the HLR5656? I will be watching from 12' away. I will also be using DISH instead of cable.
The HLP5674 has a DVI and a HDMI digital port. That's an advantage. It also has the HD2 chip which is sharper.

If the HLR5656 is a rebadged HLP then it has the HD3 chip which is what I have.

How many digital ports does this set have. If it's a rebadged HLP then it should have a DVI and a HDMI port. It's softer but a lot of us like that watching DVD movies.

With both DVI and HDMI ports you can connect your Dish to one and a ~$200 upscaling DVD player to the other.

I think they both are worth having ISF calibrated if there is anyone who works in your area with "good" Samsung DLP experience. That should run about $400.

You have to judge for yourself things like price difference, and case appearance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Greetings,

I compared my hl-p5674 to the hl-r5656 at Costco yesterday. The pixel structure on mine is definitely visible from about a foot away in a square type grid pattern, as is indicative of the hd2+ chip. This pixel pattern was not noticeable on the the hl-r5656, which would lead me to believe it is not using the hd2+ chip, but it would be hard to say if it was the hd3 or hd4 version. The hl-r5656 does not have the input capability of the hl-p5674 either as per the Samsung website.

However, depending on your needs it still might be a viable candidate since the price is rather compelling including the bundled stand. ISF calibration will also bring out it's maximum pq potential. YMMV,

b.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few things...

1. If I bring my camera and take close-up pics, will you able to see the pixels to determine it's chip?

2. Does Costco allow you to take pics of their products? Never thought about this before. If not, I can take pics of the inputs also.

3. Can someone briefly explain what each input would be needed for? You guys mention that it is lacking this or that, but I have no idea what those inputs would be used for to begin with.

4. Someone mentioned that the new Samsungs were "floating" screen design and the Coscto unit was not. Is the "floating" screen design just a little space cut out between the screen section and the speaker section below?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.