AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. After doing lots of reading, seeing the DLP's for myself in stores, etc. I've tentatively decided to buy a Samsung HLR5067 DLP TV (NOTE: here in Canada this same TV goes by the name HLR5064 - the main difference being we don't have the cable card thingy here - but samsung includes an extra input instead (DVI-D) on the back of the TV.

My main reasons for looking at the Samsung DLP are that I really like all the inputs that they offer, the overall design of the TV, etc. I plan on hooking up a home theatre PC to it and the VEGA input is a nice touch. Also in Canada the HLRxx series comes with a DIVI port which my cable company uses for its YD receiver - the Toshiba DLP comes with HDMI which i know is awesome but the cable boxes they sell here don't use that type of connector on them).

So I've read through the dozens of threads here and comments, opinions, etc. I have a series of questions that I'm hoping people can answer objectively (ie: not fans or critics of Samsung but people who actually OWN this model of Samsung DLP TV).

I am looking for definitive answer to clear this issue up once and for all:

MY 3 QUESTIONS:

1). I've read about this xbox/PS2 lag effect. Does this absolutely effect the HLRxx67 series of DLP's (and specifically the HLR5067)?

2.) Does this 'lag effect' still happen even with audio connected through a receiver (ie: not using the speakers)? I will be using a receiver and home audio theatre setup instead of the TV speakers.

3). If this lag effect does exist, will it still be present with the PS3/Xbox360 HD consoles to the 'best guess' of anyone here? This is my real concern since I'm looking toward the future with this TV more than the current consoles out.

I'm looking at buying the TV sometime in November.

Feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks and Cheers!

- Kared

·
Registered
955 Posts
1. Yes. At the very least, signals that are 480i (standard definition) will lag. There are reports about 480p and one 720p game lagging as well.

2. Sort of. If you have a 480i source, the TV takes extra time to process it. The sound will come out of the receiver a split second before the signal is shown on the TV. That's the whole lag issue. The TV delays the sound to match the picture. Your receiver will not.

3. Probably not. If they can display their back library at at least 480p, it should be a fix. PS3 and 360 games are supposed to support 720p at a minimum.

Cush

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush1978
1. Yes. At the very least, signals that are 480i (standard definition) will lag. There are reports about 480p and one 720p game lagging as well.

2. Sort of. If you have a 480i source, the TV takes extra time to process it. The sound will come out of the receiver a split second before the signal is shown on the TV. That's the whole lag issue. The TV delays the sound to match the picture. Your receiver will not.

3. Probably not. If they can display their back library at at least 480p, it should be a fix. PS3 and 360 games are supposed to support 720p at a minimum.

Cush
So if the main purpose of a TV I'm going to buy is playing Xbox 360 games & watching DVD movies, will I have any problem with "lag" or "sound delay"?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXbox360
So if the main purpose of a TV I'm going to buy is playing Xbox 360 games & watching DVD movies, will I have any problem with "lag" or "sound delay"?

If your main interest is games a Samsung DLP is the wrong choice for sure as just about everyone who has one says it has a audio delay. I had the HLP and it had a noticeable lag that some games were un-playable.

You should look at the new Sony A10's.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Quote:
Well, without a 360 out there, no one can say for sure, but assuming you're running a DVD player in progressive scan mode and that the 360 displays all material at 480p or higher, then no, you should not have any issues.

Cush

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver
If your main interest is games a Samsung DLP is the wrong choice for sure as just about everyone who has one says it has a audio delay. I had the HLP and it had a noticeable lag that some games were un-playable.

You should look at the new Sony A10's.

I would disagree though if your aim is to play next gen games the Samsung DLP should be fine. The lag from reading the forums occurs on games of 480i and older. Since the next gen consoles are all HDTV (480p, 720p, etc) there shouldnt be any issues. And the Sony A10 has its own share off issues (esp if you not an LCD projection fan which I'm not).

I'm gonna go ahead and get a Samsung 50" DLP I think next month. I've just fallen in love with it after watching it alongside other DLPs and the LCD's (including the sony A10 and A20 series).

Kared

·
Registered
955 Posts
Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and get a Samsung 50" DLP I think next month. I've just fallen in love with it after watching it alongside other DLPs and the LCD's (including the sony A10 and A20 series).
That's how I came to my conclusion with my HLP5063W a year or so ago. Even though I discovered the console lag after the fact (and I do play older systems), I couldn't find another set that had good enough picture quality and/or features to make the switch. Hope you enjoy it.

Cush

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually ended up getting a Toshiba 52" DLP today (the 52HMX95). I got a great deal on it and the stand. But I app all the help from this thread, you guys rock.

Why anyone gets a plasma TV I really don't know (people are obsessed with thin for some reason I guess).

Cheers,

Kared

·
Registered
297 Posts
i too am pretty bummed out about the lag issue. i recently picked up hotshots golf fore for the ps2 and its unplayable due to the lag issues. the ball is unhittable in the game due to the 1 second delay. i press x to stop the swing meter and it moves for a second more. i'm taking the game back if this will not fix it. what do you guys think? i got to looking around and found THIS at liksang.com. will this be able to upconvert the picture and get rid of the lag? does this product actually upconvert the images and make them look better?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kared
nna go ahead and get a Samsung 50" DLP I think next month. I've just fallen in love with it after watching it alongside other DLPs and the LCD's (including the sony A10 and A20 series).

Kared
So what is the point of the thread? I mean it already sounds like you have made up your mind. What answer are you looking for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver
So what is the point of the thread? I mean it already sounds like you have made up your mind. What answer are you looking for?
If you had bothered to read further you would have seen that I had some specific questions and wanted to try and clear up some confusion, etc.

And in fact, I ended up buying a Toshiba DLP instead of the Samsung yesterday thanks to people's responses in this thread..... but thanks for reading so carefully. I also wrapped up the thread (thanking everyone,etc) right before your irrelevant posting.

Kared

·
Registered
955 Posts
re: HSG Fore, yeah, that's a horrid game to play with the lag issue. You can't do it. I wouldn't buy one of those cheap upscalers; they will most likely not work. I've tried a nice iScan Pro and a cheap Redant VGA adapter.

Someone else has bought (~$200) the Micomsoft XRGB2+ and has confirmed this gets rid of the lag issue. I'd go ahead and get one of those; read the post in the Home Theater Gaming Forum here. This is the route I'll be taking when I got $200...:)

Cush

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.