AVS Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4035 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfore  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3960#post_22205727

Happy for you guys, that your TVs haven't failed like mine did! The picture was awesome, while it lasted. I only got a couple years out of my TV, and usage was not even that high, before its board failed. The reflow did not fix the issue, so I just gave up and found a home for the TV thru Freecycle. I wonder if the guy was ever able to get it fixed?
Guess I got lucky. The main board went flaky on my TV right before the warranty went out. The replacement board has been rock solid ever since.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Samsung TV is 6 years old now and has been great. After replacing the bulb a couple months ago I decided to replace the ballast due to starting issues. With the new ballast the bulb fires right up, but the TV shuts off after only a few minutes. It never did this using the old ballast. As far as I can tell the fans are running too. I placed the original ballast back in the TV and now it won't fire the bulb at all.

I'm thinking the new ballast might have over-burdened the power supply to where it can't supply enough juice...any thought??

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3960#post_22343938

My Samsung TV is 6 years old now and has been great. After replacing the bulb a couple months ago I decided to replace the ballast due to starting issues. With the new ballast the bulb fires right up, but the TV shuts off after only a few minutes. It never did this using the old ballast. I placed the original ballast back in the TV and now it won't fire the bulb at all.

I'm thinking the new ballast might have over-burdened the power supply to where it can't supply enough juice...any thought??
Found I didn't place the power connector on properly when I put the original ballast back in. I fixed that issue and the TV comes on again, but the issue when using the new ballast still remains.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just talked it over with the wife...we're buying a new 73" MITSUBISHI WD73C12 DLP television for less than $1200...with free shipping!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248080

We'll keep the Samsung TV to use as parts, since I have another identical TV in my XBOX room. Between the two of them I should be able to keep it going for a several more years.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3960#post_22344306

Just talked it over with the wife...we're buying a new 73" MITSUBISHI WD73C12 DLP television for less than $1200...with free shipping!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248080

We'll keep the Samsung TV to use as parts, since I have another identical TV in my XBOX room. Between the two of them I should be able to keep it going for a several more years.
Doesn't look like Newegg is an authorized Mits dealer. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/locator/online/ Could effect your warranty. There's some pretty good deals from authorized dealers on the 73640.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made a new thread for this question, But maybe I should have posted it here instead......

I mistakenly ordered a replacement L3 color wheel for my hlr5067w which has an L6 chassis. I have read that the actual color wheels are identical. The only differences are in the housings. If that is the case, then I could remove the color wheel from the new part and install it in my old housing. Does anyone know if this is true? i would love to have my TV up and running tonight when I get home from work. But for now, it looks like I am going to have to eat the 20% restocking fee and wait for the other part.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never had my colow wheel out, but if it looks do-able then give it a try. The bulbs also have the same issue...bulbs between even the same model may have different housings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have a cheap meritline HDMI switch since only 1 HDMI out, been using for some time, lately every now and then can't do video through PS3, 360 or apple TV stating not HDCP compliant. I tried bypassing switch and connecting HDMI cable to source directly, also tried switching out HDMI cable completely and going to source directly without HDMI switch Still having problem. Anyone have similar problem? Sucks to not be able to watch movies through any of these devices.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3960#post_22350093

I've never had my colow wheel out, but if it looks do-able then give it a try. The bulbs also have the same issue...bulbs between even the same model may have different housings.

Lamps should not have different housings. Perhaps that is the problem with your TV. There have been numerous reports here on the forums of TVs not working after a lamp change which are corrected by using the proper OEM lamp bought from the manufacturer. There are many "OEM compatible" lamps being hawked out there that prevent the TV from operationg correctly. It is also recommended that you replace the lamp and cartridge together.

Your TV's start up issues only began after replacing the lamp. I would recommend getting a factory lamp and trying it with the original ballast. If your other TV is the exact same model number, you could use it's lamp to check, as long as it is not also an aftermarket lamp.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts
Two questions;

1. How many have had to replace the color wheel?

2. Has anyone had to replace any of the fans?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had to replace the bulb once, color wheel once, and bulb cooling fan once, in that order. Bulb went out at 12,xxx hours so not too bad at all since it's probably at 17,xxx now. However, the analog board has nrn going out for a long time and now the TV is retired due to digital board issues. Replacement LG LED TV is fantastic.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts
12k for the lamp is a excellent count.

Anyone else with issues with just the color wheel and fans? The reason for the specific question is a friend has a HLR4266 (the cheapo) and it sounds as it's the color wheel that is going. It's not the lamp fan for sure. I don't know how many other fans are on that chassis; one or two as i might be that, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

I've had my HLR4267W for several years, have replaced the color wheel before and the lamp. Now, recently, the screen seems to go from normal brightness to slightly darker and back to normal darkness every few minutes. I have not timed the interval between but I have a feeling it is becoming a little more frequent.

Is this my light bulb going bad again or something else? Last time, I remember the screen was getting darker over time, but nothing like this. I just want to have an idea what could be wrong. If it is anything more than a light bulb, it may be time for a new TV.

Francisco

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoraes  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3990#post_22622086

Hi,

I've had my HLR4267W for several years, have replaced the color wheel before and the lamp. Now, recently, the screen seems to go from normal brightness to slightly darker and back to normal darkness every few minutes. I have not timed the interval between but I have a feeling it is becoming a little more frequent.

Is this my light bulb going bad again or something else? Last time, I remember the screen was getting darker over time, but nothing like this. I just want to have an idea what could be wrong. If it is anything more than a light bulb, it may be time for a new TV.

Francisco
Could be the ballast giving you trouble ...it powers the bulb.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3990#post_22644465

Could be the ballast giving you trouble ...it powers the bulb.

Is there a way to know or tweak it to be sure? I am trying to decide if I fix the TV or get a new one. Ballast + new lamp and we maybe talking about near half the price of a new TV.

Francisco

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoraes  /t/537675/samsung-hlrxx67w-owners-thread-720p-dlp-hdtv/3990#post_22644654

Is there a way to know or tweak it to be sure? I am trying to decide if I fix the TV or get a new one. Ballast + new lamp and we maybe talking about near half the price of a new TV.

Francisco
Only way I know is to replace one component first (bulb or ballast), then if you still have trouble replace the other.

I got lucky a few years ago and bought an identical TV online and I used it for my XBox. I've since replaced my main TV and both Samsungs are now in my XBox room. I'm saving one for parts. The ballast is going out on mine (already has a new bulb), but I haven't swapped it yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just checking in...nothing new to see here.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts

Quote:
Ballast + new lamp and we maybe talking about near half the price of a new TV.
For a $500 (or so) LCD set? I'd stay with this even though it's only a 720p.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just keep moving.

3981 - 4000 of 4035 Posts