AVS Forum banner

4021 - 4035 of 4035 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Moved my trusty old 46" Samsung to my living room yesterday after my 73" Mitsubishi DLP went belly-up for the 2nd time in it's 3-year life. Now that it's out of warranty I'm not sure I can repair it.

My Samsung has been repaired twice...once under warranty and once by me, but even after 9 years it still has a clear and bright picture with eye-popping color! This is why I love DLP technology! The image on the Mitsubishi was never this good though. Too large a screen I suppose for a single bulb to illuminate.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My HLR4266W started making a huge buzzing sound, and the picture won't come on. I'm guessing this is the color wheel failing?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quite possible, or it could be one of the cooling fans. There are three if I remember right. You would need to open it up and check closer to be certain.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Quite possible, or it could be one of the cooling fans. There are three if I remember right. You would need to open it up and check closer to be certain.
I took it apart yesterday, the color wheel is shattered. I'm leary about replacing it though, unless someone who has done so can answer a question. If the color wheel is broken, will the lamp still light? Since my color wheel has broke, the lamp won't light, and the 3 lights on the power button flash. I don't want to replace it for it then to need a lamp replacement.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe there is a sensor on the color wheel, and without that signal the lamp cannot light. Lamp replacement is no big deal, and if you can get a replacement color wheel at a decent price it may still be better than buying a totally new TV.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I believe there is a sensor on the color wheel, and without that signal the lamp cannot light. Lamp replacement is no big deal, and if you can get a replacement color wheel at a decent price it may still be better than buying a totally new TV.
Thanks for the help, and It was just the added expense of the lamp I was worried about. I'll keep my eye on eBay for the color wheel. If I can get one around $60 I'll do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
::ding::

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nothing to see here.....move along.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Reactions: AzDragonLord

·
Registered
211 Posts
Still going strong!

I have a 2nd TV to use for donor parts. I've already had to replace the bulb's power unit. As long as I can keep this one running I see no need to replace it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I blew out the built-up dust from the back of the TV while investigating a fan noise, now the TV won't come on at all. I checked the obvious culprits to no avail. My donor machine is now my primary TV. Got a feeling it won't be long now. :(

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I blew IN the built-up dust from the back of the TV while investigating a fan noise, now the TV won't come on at all. I checked the obvious culprits to no avail. My donor machine is now my primary TV. Got a feeling it won't be long now. :(
Post has been corrected. I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
211 Posts
OOPS.....thanks Augerhandle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
After 12 years....

...it's done. The TV keeps randomly shutting off with no error or trouble lights showing....just OFF. It'll turn right back on, but I can't put up with it any longer. I replaced it with a 55" 4K television that cost 1/4 of what I paid for the Samsung back in 2006.

Been a good run. :cool:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Just retired my HLR5087W. From January 2006 to December 2019, not bad considering some of the reliability reports.

4021 - 4035 of 4035 Posts