AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the new home theater magazine and they were reviewing a couple of hdtv TVs and one of the TVs being reviewed was the samsung hls 6188w and it got the highest rating beating the Sony xbr2. And the jvc 61fn97 d ila and the toshiba 62mx196 and the mitsubishi wd 65731 TVs and I was leaning more towards the samsung TV even though the samsung got the highest score the 5 reviewers said that the TV is way too bright and that it will be extremely fatiguing to your eyes. Also they said that the samsung needs a user menu iris adjustment more than any display they have reviewed. Has anyone had a problem with the TV being way too bright at night???

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/0

Uh, the Picture/Contrast setting controls the overall brightness of the picture...the white levels. The Brightness setting controls the black levels.

... and a properly calibrated set with the right bias lighting in a dark room will not be too bright.

Check the owners reports of professional calibrations that they have had done using the link at the bottom of my post.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakviet /forum/post/0

So at night time viewing is where its gonna be way too bright because I do most of my TV viewing at night

That depends on your room lighting. Do you watch with all the normal lights off. If so you need to have your set calibrated and/or add a bias light to relieve eye strain.

Some starting settings and a tutorial are linked at the bottom of my post.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:

yes all of my normal lights are off... but when i finally buy this tv i ll will go ahead and take your advice with having some little bit of light at night time.. thank you

A bias light is placed behind the TV so that there is a dim helo around it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

Quote:

yes all of my normal lights are off... but when i finally buy this tv i ll will go ahead and take your advice with having some little bit of light at night time.. thank you
Ideal-Lume Bias Light

IMHO, well worth the money, but any lighting will help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.