AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending too much time, overanalyzing, and walking around PC and BB like a nut-job. I've narrowed my choices down to the HLT 76 or 87 series (whether I go 61 or 56 is still TBD).


From what I can tell the two main differences are

-- XX76 has a lamp engine and slimmer back

-- XX87 has an LED engine and slightly


For now, most of my viewing will be SD and regular DVD


What are the pros and cons of LED vs. bulb? replacing bulbs? picture quality?


I believe one potential negative with the 76 thinnner back is picuture bowing. Not sure if this is any more of an issue with the 76 than the 87.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,515 Posts
I have a Samsung DLP that is several years old, and one of my issues with it is the amount of noise generated by the color wheel. This is one area where the LED model would have an advantage. There will still be fan noise, but no whine of the color wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
The LED light engine will give you longer life than a lamp and lower light output.


As a result, you'll be able to look at a comprimised picture for longer.


Samsung lamp based sets give a picture that is like looking out a window. Unfortunately, you'll likely spend a considerable amount of time actually looking out the window, waiting for the repair technician to arrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/0


The LED light engine will give you longer life than a lamp and lower light output.


As a result, you'll be able to look at a comprimised picture for longer.


Samsung lamp based sets give a picture that is like looking out a window. Unfortunately, you'll likely spend a considerable amount of time actually looking out the window, waiting for the repair technician to arrive.

So I take it you're not a lamp fan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,311 Posts
Advantage LED: no bulb changes (although I'm still on my first bulb on my almost 4-year-old DLP) and greatly reduced rainbows (although most people don't see rainbows).

Advantage color wheel DLP: Thus far, better PQ by most reports.

In the end, it's what you prefer based on viewing them in stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwolf /forum/post/0


So I take it you're not a lamp fan

Actually, the lamps on these sets have been pretty reliable. They eventually need replacement, but most people know that when purchasing the sets.


The whining power supplies; noisy color wheels; bowing of the picture; and failing light engines are more of a problem with the recent version of the Samsung DLP sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Unfortunately, at this point in their development, most HDTV's are not perfected. All brands and technologies have different issues as they age, best to get an extended warranty and pick the one which has the picture you like the best.


I have an almost 2 year old lamp based Sammy DLP which has been excellent tho I do believe bulbs are on their way out and LED will replace them. I'm just not sure the picture on the LED is up to the level of the bulbs yet in this year's models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I really enjoy my LED, as far as noise, I can barely hear anything, I haven't watched a regular lamp based one, but I think the PQ is GREAT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
The HLT lamp sets have a brightrer and clearer picture than the LED which appear somewhat washed out, and must be set on vivid to get significant contrast and from I can see there is NO bowing in the lamp unit. I have been comparing them side by side at a local store. In the manual it looks quite easy to change a bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Audio /forum/post/0


The HLT lamp sets have a brightrer and clearer picture than the LED which appear somewhat washed out, and must be set on vivid to get significant contrast and from I can see there is NO bowing in the lamp unit. I have been comparing them side by side at a local store. In the manual it looks quite easy to change a bulb.

All the Samsung rear projection sets (Lamp and LED both) I've seen have a chance to bow and pincushion. I've seen several up through two years ago and with PC inputs they produce bowing. It's made me believe it has nothing to do with the LED technology or chassis itself but rather something else.


I own a 61" LED DLP and enjoy it thoroughly. I do have some slight bowing on the set but it's not noticeable unless I'm reading text on my PC. Not noticeable on video or games at all.


It is easy to change a bulb on RPTV sets.
My previous set of five years was a Sony KLW9000, the grand-daddy of the current RP LCD Wega series. Bulbs are a cinch.


>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I dont want to sound abrupt or rude. But if your still watching SD and DVD's and dont want to use HDTV, why not wait until you do use HDTV? Who knows what will be out when you start using HDTV??


Also I dont see ANY brightness difference or "washed out" colors on LED sets comparing to the Lamp sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwolf /forum/post/0


After spending too much time, overanalyzing, and walking around PC and BB like a nut-job. I've narrowed my choices down to the HLT 76 or 87 series (whether I go 61 or 56 is still TBD).


From what I can tell the two main differences are

-- XX76 has a lamp engine and slimmer back

-- XX87 has an LED engine and slightly


For now, most of my viewing will be SD and regular DVD


What are the pros and cons of LED vs. bulb? replacing bulbs? picture quality?


I believe one potential negative with the 76 thinnner back is picuture bowing. Not sure if this is any more of an issue with the 76 than the 87.


Thanks.

Having just had a HLT5087s (LED) delivered, I can say the hotspotting is definately more noticeable on the LEDs over the bulbs... However, for someone who has had issues with bulbs before in other sets, it's a trade off. Now the colors on the LEDs, once you get them home , are magnificent. It's a great set. Lots of options... nice not feeling guility about leaving it on either. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox /forum/post/0


I dont want to sound abrupt or rude. But if your still watching SD and DVD's and dont want to use HDTV, why not wait until you do use HDTV? Who knows what will be out when you start using HDTV??


Also I dont see ANY brightness difference or "washed out" colors on LED sets comparing to the Lamp sets.


Not rude at all. After I submtted my initial post I realized I should have revised it, but never got around to it.


My current TV is an old 32" JVC CRT and I just moved into a new house and need something newer and bigger. As far as HD vs. SD, it depends on the channel I'm watching. I do have HD stations, and would chose to watch ESPN HD or HBO HD over ESPN SD or HBO SD, but there are only a limited number of stations that are broadcast in HD. Not sure what options there are with DVD players, but for now my focus is on the TV and new speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Yeah well like most have said, you should check them out in person then. I see hotspotting only on pure black screens that are not fro ma source... so like the setup screen of my HD DVD player, but if theres a pure black screen on a HD DVD that im playing i wont see it.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top