AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the tv about 3-4 years now, never have had to change the bulb. A few weeks ago I had the "white dot" problem corrected by a tech that Samsung sent out free of charge to change the chip. Tv worked fine when tech left, white dot problem was fixed. About a week later we were watching the Tv and it just shut off, sound played for a bit with no picture until the set powered itself off. Set will not power back up, unplugged from the wall, pulled the bulb out and cleaned behind, nothing. When I power the set up green light (lamp) blinks like always, set sounds like its trying to power up but then after a few seconds the set turns off and the red light will blink by itself (temp)...the tv will cycle itself on and off this way until I unplug it. Is this an easily corrected problem or is it time to upgrade? I have heard it could be a bad bulb but dont want to spend that 200 that could be going towards a new tv if that doesnt fix my problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess noone has an idea of what the problem may be? I was just looking for a little bit of hope, this Tv just doesnt feel like it should be old enough to dump..and I loved the picture on it, just hate to crap away the cost of a bulb only to realize that didnt fix my set, and the repair companies want to charge so much just to diagnose..too close to the holidays, will just have to remain an expensive coat rack for now as I keep watching my 20"...

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWright31 /forum/post/19566123

Guess noone has an idea of what the problem may be? I was just looking for a little bit of hope, this Tv just doesnt feel like it should be old enough to dump..and I loved the picture on it, just hate to crap away the cost of a bulb only to realize that didnt fix my set, and the repair companies want to charge so much just to diagnose..too close to the holidays, will just have to remain an expensive coat rack for now as I keep watching my 20"...

If you've have it three or four years and not had to change the lamp, I'd say lamp is a good bet. Figure the hours a day times how long you've had it and you should be pretty close to typical lamp life. Lamp is a good bet but of course not certain. Nowhere near $200 btw: http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.ne...Search=HLT5075

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply...and the link! Guess I will go ahead and order one and cross my fingers! Honestly this is the first projection tv I have ever owned (upgraded from a monstrous 35" Sony tube) and I cant figure out how just the bulb being burnt out would keep the set from powering up, im thinking ok the bulbs burnt out but seems like I would get sound without picture.. guess the tv has built-in features that wont let it power up if the bulbs shot? I had been looking at LCD and Plasmas but just hated the thought of not trying to fix a tv that I spent over 1500 on just few years ago! Just didnt want to spend as much as a new set on fixing this set, but if the bulb does the trick I will be satisfied with this set again, I love the PQ it has...

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWright31 /forum/post/19572812

Thank you for the reply...and the link! Guess I will go ahead and order one and cross my fingers! Honestly this is the first projection tv I have ever owned (upgraded from a monstrous 35" Sony tube) and I cant figure out how just the bulb being burnt out would keep the set from powering up, im thinking ok the bulbs burnt out but seems like I would get sound without picture.. guess the tv has built-in features that wont let it power up if the bulbs shot? I had been looking at LCD and Plasmas but just hated the thought of not trying to fix a tv that I spent over 1500 on just few years ago! Just didnt want to spend as much as a new set on fixing this set, but if the bulb does the trick I will be satisfied with this set again, I love the PQ it has...

You're right there. It's kind of annoying that they design them that way, and all manufacturers do it. If everything but the lamp would turn on it would give one some comfort that it was just the lamp.

By the way, wherever you buy a lamp, the Philips option is always the better way to go vs Osram, imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts