AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HDMI1 input has failed. For any resolution above 480P it squeezes the video horizonally, and the ratio can not be changed. 480P behaves normally. Switching the same source with the same HDMI cable to HDMI 2 solves the problem. The TV (HLT7288W) is 2 years old and has had no issues. My question is whether there is any further things I can do before calling for service. I've read that others have had HDMI issues and have performed a reset to solve it. I don't believe this is a handshake issue since HDMI 1 input has had the same set-up for over a year with no problems. I also switched my bluray player to HDMI 1 and saw the same problem. Is there a separate PCB for each input that can be ordered and replaced? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The Picure/Size settings are set and saved separatly for each resolution received over each interface connector.

I suspect that when your picture is squezed that your Picture/size setting is set to 4:3 instead of Wide screen for HDMI1 when receiving 16:9 content.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion, I should have said more about the trouble shooting I performed prior to posting. At first I was almost certain that my DirecTV HDPVR was the problem so I checked for the proper settings and even performed a hard reset of the box, and went through all the settiings twice. There is little doubt in my mind that there is a problem with HDMI input 1, but I'm still hoping that someone might now some trick on how to reset the input or be able to tell me if I can buy a replacement card rather then call for an expensive repairman.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Did you confirm on your Samsung TV that your Menu/Picture/Size setting is the same when connected to and watching a 16:9 aspect ratio program using HDMI1 as when connected to watching a 16:9 aspect ratio using HDMI2?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I mentioned in my first post, the aspect ratio is correct at 480P, but above that, the picture squeezes horizonally, and the aspect ratio settings (crop, stretch, etc) don't work. I've verified that settings are correct on the TV, and on both HDMI 1 and 2.

This issue is a problem that started happening on an existing set-up that was operating normally. I understand that something could have reset itself, but I've verified that the settings are correct. My hope is that someone may have had a similar issue and know some way to "reset" HDMI 1 so I have control over the aspect ratio again.

For what its worth I got on-line with Samsung's tech staff and they believe the TV needs service.

Since I have 3 HDMI inputs and 3 sources, I like to get it fixed, but I also have a remote controlled HDMI switch so I can live without it. I'm assuming the repair bill would be $200 or more, so I'm not ready to get it fixed if there's a cheaper way to do it like buying and replacing a card.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You could try a service menu USER RESET. You will have to enter service mode and search around for it, but you have to BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE.

Power down.

On the remote press mute, one, eight, two, and power.

Use arrow keys to navigate, menu key to go up/back. Be careful because you don't have to press enter to change something, right arrow too many times will change an item.

Once you find the USER RESET, press right arrow a few times. It should put an OK next to it and then a few seconds later it will reboot the Tv.

When it comes back on you will have to set up guide, timezone, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts