AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The unit is Samsung UN46C7100.

How do I scan for OTA digital channels?

Thus far it displays about 4 analog, or rather trying to, since none are broadcasted.

And I cannot punch something in directly, like 7.3 since there is no "." in the remote.

I used to be able to scan for 2 dozen digital OTA channels with a Sharp Aquas.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Look for a menu button on the remote. Then look for antenna on the list. It should be spelled out in the manual for the exact procedure. The other way on my Samsung TV is to enter the physical channel number for each station. This is usually different than the one for the stations listings.

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which button am I looking for?

I hit Menu/ChList and it shows a few analog channels list but that's it.

No way to enter the digital ch directly. Where is the Dot?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Assuming you have a reliable and properly connected antenna, push Menu button. It will bring up Picture mode. Push down arrow twice until it brings up Antenna. Hit enter. Choose Antenna instead of cable. Push down arrow once to Auto Program. Hit Enter. The TV will then scan for analog and digital channels.

·
Registered
23,240 Posts
1) do you have an antenna?

2) do you have a manual for the TV?

Provide details and perhaps someone can provide recommendations and/or read the manual for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC /forum/post/20854310

Assuming you have a reliable and properly connected antenna, push Menu button. It will bring up Picture mode. Push down arrow twice until it brings up Antenna. Hit enter. Choose Antenna instead of cable. Push down arrow once to Auto Program. Hit Enter. The TV will then scan for analog and digital channels.

That was it, thank you...

Here is what it looks like. I didn't adjust anything, this is out of the box.

I suspect my OTA channels are only 480p, they look OK but certainly not Blu-ray quality. Any idea if this is higher than 480p? I am just dying to see Blu-ray on this set.

·
Registered
23,240 Posts
It won't be bluray quality.

Check your manual. There is probably an "info" button on your remote to display the resolution.

Typically with OTA, ABC is 720p. Everything else is 1080i. (with primary channels)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
No . on the remote? How about a - ? If not, you might have been sold an old HD-Ready set from the back of the warehouse that doesn't have a digital tuner. If that is the case, return it. Your link is from Ebay, so if you bought it from there then the above scenario is more likely than from a store. If it is in fact analog only and they refuse to exchange it or refund your money, threaten to report them to the FCC for selling an analog tv without the proper warning label (but first read the fine print carefully to be sure that there isn't a warning in there somewhere).

·
Registered
23,240 Posts
Page 7 of the manual:
Quote:
"-" button

Press to select additional channels

(digital) being broadcasted by the same

station. For example, to select channel

“54-3”, press “54”, then press “–” and

“3”.

·
Registered
19,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
It won't be bluray quality.

Check your manual. There is probably an "info" button on your remote to display the resolution.

Typically with OTA, ABC is 720p. Everything else is 1080i. (with primary channels)
ABC is 1080i in our area on most of the evening programming.

·
Registered
23,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot
ABC is 1080i in our area on most of the evening programming.
Maybe your local ABC affiliate broadcasts 1080i, but AFAIK, ABC "network" is 720p native resolution as is FOX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.