Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does this bad boy come with a stand?

Also, I'm torn between this, the LG 50 and the Maxent 50. Would go for a Panny, but who knows when they'll be available again?

I've read all about the DNIe gripes, but on movie mode all I can see is a great picture!

Any thoughts?

-m

·
Registered
266 Posts
I totally agree on the 5052 PQ. As far as I know it comes with a table top type stand. I know I sound like a Samsung fanboy but I sat and watched between a Panny and Sammy in movie mode for at least 20 min and the sammy had better colors and more shadow details. Could have been the feed but I don't think so. You have to tame the DNie with movie mode and tweaks. Reliability would be a concern since my experience with Sammy is not good.

My only gripe about these flat panels is most I have looked at only have a single HDMI/DVI input. How do they expect you to hook up a STB and upconverting DVD using pure digital inputs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to tame, you mean lessen the contrast and brightness down correct? does this ruin the PQ all around just to get rid of flicker/clay face issues?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Taming the DNie means to first put it in Movie Mode and back the sharpness off.

Then calibrate it with DVE and back off on contrast and picture with the appropriate test patterns.

On the Sammy DLP's and this may not be the same procedure for the plasma, you can go into the service menu and change gamma to 1 or 0 and you can disable the processes the operate DNie if you choose. Most say that they think it looks better without DNie and some say not. I don't mind it and didn't see the ill effects from it.

If you leave the TV in standard mode or dynamic mode you'll get the smearing and clay face on some program material. I always use Movie Mode to calibrate and was very satisfied with my DLP's PQ. I did see a black level shift sometimes when changing sources like going from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. To get the calibrated black level back you would go to menu and change from the mode to something different like standard then back to movie mode and it would reset the original calibrated black level. I didn’t notice it that much but it does happen. It could be a bug in the firmware or just the byproduct of the DNie.

I don’t have this panel in my home but thought it looked pretty good on display. I looked specifically for the DNie issues in store and didn’t see them. It may depend more on source material because of compression. Some channels on sat and cable providers have more compression than others. I even notice the clayface and smearing on my Sony Wega crt.

I'm no expert on this and this is just from my own experience with my Sammy DLP.

The DNie process works the same so the issues are the same. I like the Panny commercial TV's but if you purchase from a B&M you can't get the commercial models. I don't care for the consumer Pannys styling, they look cheap and plastic like to me but that is just my opinion. The x500 Pannys look nicer to me but I haven't seen many in stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I just signed up on this message board. My eyes are killing me from reading so long. There is soooo much information on these boards, and i am loving it, but it is also driving me insane!!! I am in the market for a 50" plasma, and don't know what to get. Everytime i lean towards one, i read a post that makes me change my mind, and i do realize that everyone likes certain things about certain plasma's. Ok i watch alot of DVD movies, and primetime television. I was leaning towards the Samsung 5052, or 5072, (most likely the 5052, because the price is lower), and was wondering if there is a major difference in the two? Also the Costco website has a Panasonic Plasma that is going to be $$$ after rebate, and i think it is the TH-50PX50U, but not positive? Anyway i am looking to spend about $3,000 more, or less a few hundred. Any suggestions? I have read the posts about the samsung, and they were saying the dark levels are not that great. The Panasonic is low on features, and also i like the Panasonic commercial plasma, but no speakers, tuner, etc.

Please help, and thanks in advance

EDIT>>

no price talk. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you. I actually was considering the Zenith also until i saw that the Panasonic was around the same price, but i should look at it again, because it did look very good. BB had a deal about 2 weeks before Christmas, where you got 3 $100.00 gift cards as well as the Rebate, and if you count the gift cards it came to about $$$ and change after the tax. That was a steal!!

EDIT>>

mod note: no price talk. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestan21
So does this bad boy come with a stand?

Also, I'm torn between this, the LG 50 and the Maxent 50. Would go for a Panny, but who knows when they'll be available again?

I've read all about the DNIe gripes, but on movie mode all I can see is a great picture!

Any thoughts?

-m
I would say do not get the Samsung. I have it and the clayface on SD is terrible. On DVD and HDTV its still there although reduced.

·
Premium Member
18,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataustintx
I would say do not get the Samsung. I have it and the clayface on SD is terrible. On DVD and HDTV its still there although reduced.
What is your SD source? Satellite or cable? And how is the SD source connected to the TV?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My SD source is a Time Warner HDTV box connected VIA HDMI. I used the same HDMI cable and box with my 56" inch DILA. I moved the DILA upstairs and the plasma took its place.

Perhaps I don't have the cleanest signal on SD but the DILA doesn't have the clayface.

It's odd but even the TW HD channels have the clayface. I did take pics on both the DILA and the Plasma using a progressive scan DVD via components. So it's an apple to apples comparison. I had the DILA on Theater mode and the plasma on movie without changing anything on the settings.

You can be the judge. There is definetly an effect on the plasma that you do not see on the DILA. http://community.webshots.com/album/546559317MCDEIp

I do want to add though that alot of the issue that I had other people seem to have been able to handle it thru a calibration DVD.

This is simply how it looks out of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.