AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna work on my in laws tv tonight and wanted to grab a few pointers. I can get in to the SM just fine, and move around, but I'm curious about two diff menus.

There is a White Balance menu, that has the 6 normal gains and offsets, so I ASSUME you place the tv in whatever mode you wanna calibrate, then enter the SM and make meter adjustments here.

BUT

There is also a W/B Movie Menu with tons of other gains/offsets and you can turn it on, and you can choose from dybamic and movie, then color temp.

My first thought was to put the tv in movie, find the right warmth , then enter the SM and use the White Balance menu only, to calibrate the movie mode, but this other menu threw me for a loop. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
13,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite /forum/post/18129566

Gonna work on my in laws tv tonight and wanted to grab a few pointers. I can get in to the SM just fine, and move around, but I'm curious about two diff menus.

There is a White Balance menu, that has the 6 normal gains and offsets, so I ASSUME you place the tv in whatever mode you wanna calibrate, then enter the SM and make meter adjustments here.

BUT

There is also a W/B Movie Menu with tons of other gains/offsets and you can turn it on, and you can choose from dybamic and movie, then color temp.

My first thought was to put the tv in movie, find the right warmth , then enter the SM and use the White Balance menu only, to calibrate the movie mode, but this other menu threw me for a loop. Thanks for the help!

On the Samsungs, the W/B Movie menu is the best place to calibrate in the SM unless you have a Expert menu. In W/B Movie, you turn it ON and select Movie and then the Warm2 or Warm1 preset (usually).

· Banned
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I notice the W/B Menu ONLY has Red and Blue gains/offsets, so Im assuming no need to mess with green.

From my current reading, if I go into the W/B mode, turn on movie, set the warmth and the brightness and contras, then adjust gains and offsets, once I leave that actually makes that the DEFAULT for the movie mode in the menu. Meaning, I should make all my meter adjustments in the SM in W/B movie mode, with movie on. Once I turn the tv off, then back it it will boot up in Dynamic, but then when I switch it over to Movie in the UM, it be all my SM calibrated settings?

Thanks.

Here is something I found:

* 3. White Balance - This is the overall setup for the tv. It "helps" but if you set this up, you MUST modify the movie mode again since it is based on these settings.

o Sub-Briteness 0~255 - Brightness at 30-50ire, used to help gamma I believe.

o R-offset 0~1023 - Base red black level.

o G-offset 0~1023 - Base green black level.

o B-offset 0~1023 - Base blue black level

o Sub-Contrast 0~255 - Brightness at 80-90 ire. Gamma

o R-Gain 0~1023 - base red high output setting

o G-Gain 0~1023 - base green high output setting

o B-Gain 0~1023 - base blue high output setting

* 4. W/B Movie

o W/B MOVIE - Turn this on for setup of the movie mode.

o MODE Dynamic/Movie - Set the mode to movie. Dynamic sucks, you CANNOT expect a proper setup using dynamic, none. Stop arguing it ISN'T possible.

o Color Tone Cool2/Cool1/Normal/Warm1/Warm2

o Msub Contrast - Modifier for the base sub contrast. (as in it affects the sub contrast setting from 3)

o Msub Bright - Modifier for the base sub bright.

o W2_Rgain 127~-128 These should all be self explanatory. They modify the settings found in #3 when you turn on this mode, that means if you change the base settings these change as well.

o W2_Bgain 127~-128

o W2_Roffset 511~-512

o W2_Boffset 511~-512

o W1_Rgain 127~-128

o W1_Bgain 127~-128

o W1_Roffset 511~-512

o W1_Boffset 511~-512

o Nor_Rgain 127~-128

o Nor_Bgain 127~-128

o Nor_Roffset 511~-512

o Nor_Boffset 511~-512

o C2_Rgain 127~-128

o C2_Bgain 127~-128

o C2_Roffset 511~-512

o C2_Boffset 511~-512

o Movie Contrast 0~100 - Sets the contrast you will see when you reset your contrast and are in movie mode.

o Movie Bright 0~100 - Sets the brightness you will see when you reset your brightness and are in mobie mode.

o Movie Color 0~100 - Duh

· Banned
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.

In W/B mode, I cut movie mode on, set it to movie, and then changed contrast from 55 to 60 as an experiment.

Once I turned the tv off and on, it powered up in Movie mode instead of Dynamic, and the W/B Movie Settings for Con, Bright, etc.. were now the Movie Mode settings as default. I moved Contrast down to 55, then hit reset and it moved it back to 60. I now understand what turning Movie mode on did and making it the base for adjustments, I just now need some help in which adjustments should I use for setting grayscale??

o W2_Rgain 127~-128

o W2_Bgain 127~-128

o W2_Roffset 511~-512

o W2_Boffset 511~-512

o W1_Rgain 127~-128

o W1_Bgain 127~-128

o W1_Roffset 511~-512

o W1_Boffset 511~-512

o Nor_Rgain 127~-128

o Nor_Bgain 127~-128

o Nor_Roffset 511~-512

o Nor_Boffset 511~-512

o C2_Rgain 127~-128

o C2_Bgain 127~-128

o C2_Roffset 511~-512

o C2_Boffset 511~-512

W2, W1, Nor or C2, or ALL.

TIA

· Banned
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, as I change warm2 to warm1 then to normal and then to cool 2, I see where the numbers in that section of gains and offsets moves from 0 to whatever the default is.

Ill test W2 and W1 to see whats the best temp, then work on the offsets and gains with the grayscale.

I noticed Cool1 was not in Movie W/B, but I found that Cool1 is what is adjusted by the normal White Balance menu, and I assume it resets what is the baseline for Cool1 inside the User Menu.

I like the menu layout once you get used to what it is. Go right in to movie mode w/b, turn movie on, then go to work. Nice thing is it makes it the default for the UM, so if someone changes something, you go to Movie mode in the User menu and hit reset, and you are back to your SM calibrated numbers. Very cool.

Thanks dude, that was giving me a headache, just hate it was so obvious once you pointed it out.

· Registered
13,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite /forum/post/18130264

Nice thing is it makes it the default for the UM, so if someone changes something, you go to Movie mode in the User menu and hit reset, and you are back to your SM calibrated numbers. Very cool.

Yeah, this is why I deciced to use the SM to calibrate my new B650 LCD. It's very annoying to need to re-enter settings everytime firmware is updated or picture settings are reset.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It really doesn't matter what you choose. In fact, you should not choose a fL at all. Just calibrate the thing correctly ... meet the correct rules for contrast and your light output is your light output.

It could be 35 38 ... 44 ... 49 ... doesn't really matter if you meet the three rules for setting contrast.

No Clipping

No Discoloration

No Eye fatigue

regards

· Registered
13,078 Posts
I aim for about 40 fL, since my LCD can go much higher and much lower without sacrificing accuracy (backlight 5/10 and contrast of 100/100 produces about 40 fL on my LCD). I would say 30-40 fL is a good target range for nightime viewing.

· Banned
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tv is 4 yrs old and has 8400 hours, so it was due for some TLC

I ended up with 33. This did some weird things, and it was a PITA not having a green gain or offset in the Movie Menu.

Color temp was good, is now much better. Warm 1

Initial Delta E Numbers had many between 10 and 15, I got them all under 3.

Gamma was a 2.19.

Some of the gray slides were strange, I mean you hit awesome on 9 out of 11, but something like 90 would be super high and 50, and they both would need opposite adjustments. Watched Death Race on blu-ray afterwards, and it looked real good and the detail was awesome.

Really enjoying this hobby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.