AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the new 63" Samsung plasma delivered today.

The set itself is very pretty but, believe it or not, Samsung has negelected to put the panoramic picture mode on this brand new model. If you want to watch SD content in full screen, you have no choice but to live with the dreaded "fat head" effect.

I simply can't believe this. I have a 32" Samsung LCD in my bedroom which has this mode and I assumed their new top-of-the-line plasma would have it as well.

Can anyone else with a Samsung plasma verify for me that they have or do not have this mode?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before you ship back check out Zoom1 mode for a while. It only crops a little off the top and bottom, and really puts things back into "perspective" for 4:3 content. It will let you move the frame up or down for adjustments.

Edit: Take CNN, for example. I don't really want the news ticker and logos on my screen - so I use Zoom1 and it crops the ticker off, then move the picture down to remove what's remaining of the logos. Voilla! Full screen, virtually 4:3, no logos or tickers, great PQ.

Or, take a show like Mythbusters on Discovery Channel (for example). It is broadcast "widescreen" with black bars on top and bottom in 4:3. If you switch the screen to 16:9 you've still got the black bars and, now, wide heads. Well if you go to Zoom1 the black bars are gone and you get full-screen (virtual) 16:9, and the heads are round again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.