AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father just picked up this TV. When viewing 4:3 content he would like to haved black vertical bars, not the grey that it is set at. I read the manual and played with the settings, but see no way to change this. I searched here, with no luck.(I'm sure i'm over looking it). If anyone knows if this can be changed, I would appreiciate the help.

As far as burn in, is grey better than black?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
You change them via the Dish Network or cable system not the TV. You may not know this but even with gray bars you will develop burn in over time. The smart thing for your plasma is to learn to live with the stretch picture.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i'll have to double check on my 4254 but I think you can change them in the tv...maybe not to black, but to a darker grey.

however, i agree with omeletpants in that you should stretch the picture with SD material.

·
Registered
488 Posts
to get the side bars in 4:3 material to be black (or really dark grey) instead of the factory set light grey, go into the 4254's menu, select "set-up", scroll to the "screen protection" setting. under the screen protection setting, there is the "pixel shift", "scrolling", whitewash feature, and sidebar feature. under the sidebar feature, you can choose either "light" or "dark" for sidebars.

again, i will reiterate my personal preference: stretch SD material.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had my 4254 for about a month and I am no expert on plasma's but why would you even want to watch anything in 4:3? I stretch everything if it is not in HD. Seems to me if you are watching so much 4:3 content why even get a tv like this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts