AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the plasma, and loving it, however I'm sure the color, picture, and everything can be tweaked.

I haven't found any other post that is official, so here it is:

Service menu: Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 and power with the plasma turned off.

What is the settings you using it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a Samsung DVI dvd player attached the 931 model.

When i first attached it and output the pic at 1080i, i had a little bar on the side very distorted, but now its all cleared up.

I replaced a panasonic 50lc13 to this plasma, although its brighter, and crispier, i think the DVD playback was better on the panny.

Doens't anyone have this plasma?

I had an option to this and the panasonic 50in, the ones from bestbuy/circuitcity. Howefver the panasonic looked a tad crispier, i like the samsung thin edge, and connectors on the back.

Does anyone know where i can get a frame to hang it like a picture frame the plasma?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Sony SATHD300 hooked up to a Samsung HPN5039 Plasma TV via DVI with a Monster DVI cable (as well as I have tried the cable Sony provided). Everything works great when I run at 720P or lower resolution. When I try to run at 1080i I get a narrow color band of all different colors running vertically down the right side of the display. It is approximately 1/4" wide. The rest of the picture is fine. At 720P it is fine. Also via component output connections it works fine at 1080i. I had teh receiver replaced and the problem remains. I've got a message into Samsung's tech support. Oerall I really like he HPN 5039 but this minor glitvh is annoying. Is anyone else running these two components together and are you seeing the same thing ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem with the line when I watched 1080i a dvd from my samsung 931h, then on the sansung menu they had a choice of dvi a or dvi b, i switched it to a, and it cleared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MMX, Since some time has passed what are your impressions of the HPN5039? I am condering this as it is on closeout at Best Buy now, with some demo units at REAL decent prices. Also, can you access the hours of use from the service menu? Is it labeled or obvious when I look for it? I want to look at the hours of use before deciding.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
MMX, what kind of values in Services Menu? I have the HPP5071 (replacement for HPN), I would like to see if I can get in the Service Menu and compare what has been changed from HPN. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truth is that i haven't used the service menu yet. I have been so busy with work/school, wife, that i only played with the normal menu settings.

however the display is awesome, sometimes it looks grainy even on the DVI DVD player, but its all based on settings.

i like the display

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I ended up getting this display as well last spring. DVDs via my Bravo D1 & its DVI port are fantastic!! This is using the custom resolution settings(at 1366X768) in the bravo's setup options. They are so good, well mastered dvds look high def. My main gripes on this set & with plasma's in general are the poor black levels(id say this sets black levels are on par with the Panasonic pt50lc13 that I had , but not as good as the sammy dlp sets) & my other main gripe is that I didn't know plasmas put off so much heat. I have mine in a small room(12ftX12ft) & it really heats the room up quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Direct TV did an upgrade of my Sony satellie receiver and all I can say is "WOW". Excellent picture quality on HD channels and locals. Some get grainy at times but that is the satellite feed not the 5039. DVDs are awesome. You can't go wrong with the price or quality. I've had mine 6 months now and looking at normal televisions now causes me to see the real quality contrast.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did tried Mute-1-8-2-Power with my new HP-P5071, it works and get me in the Services Menu. I can not believe how many items in the menu and sub-menu after submenu. I guess I definitely need to find a copy of service meanu to identify what each items for. Some of them are easy to see, but a lot of them will be difficult to tell just by the label of those items for what they mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting the HPN5039 tonight at Best Buy. They had a floor model that was put onto the floor 8 days ago, so the hours of use was not a big issue. I was able to get a $199 surge supressor, $99 digital cable, the TV, and a 4 year extended warranty ($349) all for $3,880 out the door. Not a bad deal since they wanted $3,499 for the TV to begin with, plus tax which would have put me up to $3,779.

Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congret. ssande! That is an excellent deal. Enjoy it! BTW, using the key Menu-1-8-2-Power while the display is off, the first screen of Service Menu will tell you the exactly when the unit is built (packaged) and other status related information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zhao2549,

Do you know where the hours of use info is stored? I could not find it and the manager at Best Buy got really bent when he saw the TV in the service menu mode so I had to exit quickly.

PS. I am also from the Cleveland area.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ssande,

I will take another close look tonight when I get home. I know that in very first screen of Service Menu, towards the botton, there is a date indicates when the unit was officially being released for shipping, then there are couple of numbers under that item. I am sure some of those are indicates the usage, etc. At least that was on my HP-P5071. I will write down exactly tonight and post those values.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.