AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this samsung hpr4252 for three years, first I have a black thin line with red blue green flashing dots in the middle of the screen, now I have these lines all over the screen. At first, I was going to replace the y lower buffer board, now I don't what is wrong. I only have a blue ray hooked to this set and I have a surge protector. Is there hope for the set or is it gone. A reply would be very helpful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
bump

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well after talking to a few people about this problem, I found out that it's the Y Buffer upper and lower boards that are bad in the Screen. Here is a pick of what they look like and you can see in the other pick the empty area on the left where they came from.

Do you guys think it's worth it to replace these? They're about 300$ for a set of new ones.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Tough call for $300. I'm inclined to say no. It's possible there may be other issues. Without a professional looking at your set and the associated equipment to evaluate the TV I would not risk the $300.

I would talk to Samsung and see what they can do. If they can't offer a decent repair alternative I would consider a new plasma.

Perhaps you can convince them to give you a discount on a new plasma

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an HPS4253x and I'm experiencing the same issue on the lower 1/3 of the screen when input is 720p and 1080i. At 480p it's fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/15938461

Tough call for $300. I'm inclined to say no. It's possible there may be other issues. Without a professional looking at your set and the associated equipment to evaluate the TV I would not risk the $300.

I would talk to Samsung and see what they can do. If they can't offer a decent repair alternative I would consider a new plasma.

Perhaps you can convince them to give you a discount on a new plasma

Agreed. If you cat get a resolution from the manufacturer, You're looking at ~$200 for a brand new 42", with a full warranty, and save yourself the hassle of purchasing the replacement parts and opening up your unit to find out the issue might stem from somewhere else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I'd share my experience for those in the same situation.

I have a HPR4252 set that I bought in early 2006. Mid 2010 I started getting a flickering in the top half or bottom half of the screen. First it would black out very briefly, then after a few more weeks, it started flickering white lines, then more white lines, then white and colored lines but they would always disappear after a few seconds. If they stayed on the set very long you could get rid of them by lightly bumping the back of the set.

Then one day the lines appeared on both the top and the bottom and nothing would make them go away. So I used this as an excuse to buy a new 50" Panasonic G20

I offered the set to my brother with the stipulation that I was pretty sure what was wrong with it and if he bought the parts, I'd install them for him, but if that didn't fix the problem he was probably out the $149 or at the very least a 15% restocking fee if that didn't fix the problem.

So he took me up on the offer, ordered the boards, we installed them in about 10 minutes and the problem was gone. Good as new.

So if you're experiencing the same thing as shown in the earlier posts, try replacing the buffer boards. If you have any kind of PC repair experience, it's pretty simple. Just be sure to ground yourself so you don't damage them with static electricity.

One thing I noticed about the new boards was that they had much more substantial heat sinks installed on the chips. The original boards had smaller heat sinks that looked like they were hot glued onto the boards as an after thought.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I finally installed a replacement Upper Y-buffer board, and the problem is even worse. Now I have a black screen with "sparkles" all over it. Any suggestions on what I should do with this TV? I don't really want to just throw it away...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts