AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Samsung HL-S5687 last November. I am mostly very happy with it, but it has developed a problem. The picture has begun to flicker. This is most noticable when viewing static windows (I am using a HTPC) and when video playback is paused. Also, I am NOT certain that the whole picture is flckering - it seens to be most prevelant on the right thrid, AND the color temperature seems to be different in this right-third of the screen.

I am guessing that the DLP engine is failing, or the lamp somehow has a problem, but I can't imagine how that would only affect PART of the image.

Has anyone seen this before? Circuit City is coming out this week to have a look - I am glad I bought the full service contract now!!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgman /forum/post/0

I bought a Samsung HL-S5687 last November. I am mostly very happy with it, but it has developed a problem. The picture has begun to flicker. This is most noticable when viewing static windows (I am using a HTPC) and when video playback is paused. Also, I am NOT certain that the whole picture is flckering - it seens to be most prevelant on the right thrid, AND the color temperature seems to be different in this right-third of the screen.

I am guessing that the DLP engine is failing, or the lamp somehow has a problem, but I can't imagine how that would only affect PART of the image.

Has anyone seen this before? Circuit City is coming out this week to have a look - I am glad I bought the full service contract now!!

My hls-5687 is doing the same thing. I got the tv in late December and I have it hooked up as an htpc also. I just started noticing some flicker in the same area as you mentioned. I will call Samsung on Monday, but I was curious as to what you found the problem to be.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've noticed this problem recently on my Samsung HLP5663W - it's two years old. I recently replaced the lamp, but I don't think that's the problem, because I've noticed some "tearing" at the very top of the screen when the flickering is at its worst. It looks like the flickering is caused by the tearing problem that's normally off-screen.

The other interesting thing is that the problem is very intermittant. It also occurs regardless of the input I'm using (HDMI, DVI or Component).

Anyone with a solution?

...Jerry

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgman /forum/post/0

Do you notice this flicking more one one side then other? My HLS-5087 used to flicking on the right side but this flicking would come and go. Then finally the TV started to have a dark bar run up and down the right side of the TV. Samsung needed to replace the whole light engine. Since the light engine replacement the flicking stop for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmark68 /forum/post/0

Do you notice this flicking more one one side then other? My HLS-5087 used to flicking on the right side but this flicking would come and go. Then finally the TV started to have a dark bar run up and down the right side of the TV. Samsung needed to replace the whole light engine. Since the light engine replacement the flicking stop for me.

Flickering is on the right side of the screen. There is no dark bar. When the flickering is at its worst, there is a small dark triangle in the upper right corner of the screen, and the top inch or two looks like it gets distorted to the left (tearing?).

I see your profile indicates you're near Philly. Who does Samsung work in this area? When I go to Samsung site and enter my zip code, the webpage says, "Call us".

...Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.