AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just baught the Samsung HT-AS720 and i am currently waiting for my samsung 46" tv.

My question is...."Does component (red + white cable) only produce left, right, subwoofer output?" when i watch my dvd's via yellow, red, white component cables only my front left and right speakers work (and sub)

do i need an optical cable to get the full 5.1?

my fm radio only uses 2 speakers + sw aswell ..... (i did a speaker test and all 5 + sw speakers produce the test tone ...

help plz

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yellow cable is composite video.

Red & white cables are right and left analog audio.

Component cables are 3 video cables, usually red, blue and green, but occasionally other colors. (My Toshiba TV used different colors)

S-Video is a cable with a bunch of pins on it, some people think it looks like a computer cable.

RF is the normal cable that comes from your cable provider; it carries both audio and video.

HDMI & DVI are digital video cables.

In order to get digital audio, you will have to use the optical cable.

One other thing. In order of quality for transferring your video to your TV (worst to best): RF, composite, S-Video, component, DVI & HDMI.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Composite is video only. The yellow plug. It's often paired with red and white plugs, which are called "analog audio."

Anyway, analog audio is stereo. Your sub is getting a bit of the low end on it (although there is no dedicated low frequency effects channel.) So that's one of the reasons you're only hearing left, right, and sub.

It sounds like your receiver is on a stereo mode, which would limit it to the stereo left and right. To get all speakers working, you either need to apply a processing mode like Dolby ProLogic II (extracts 5.1 from stereo, although there are limits) or get an optical or digital coaxial cable (depending on what's available) to get the Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks to work.

If you have a spare composite video cable (yellow plug, remember?), that will work as a digital coaxial cable.

Also keep in mind the surrounds won't be putting out much regardless of what you do. Soundtracks are mixed to use them only here and there. Your center channel speaker should be pumping out a lot, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want my FM Reciever and composite dvd player to work on all speakers (as 1 loud unit) i know i need an optic cable for real 5.1

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You mean all speakers going at once? Like for music for an FM station or CDs played on the DVD player? (I hope you don't mean while playing movies.
)

Looking over the manual under operation, I think you may want to try one of the SFE modes. Page 34/35 of the manual (page 18 of the PDF.) That seems to be the closest.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0S-XAC-ENG.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts