AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My husband and I have been looking at this TV for several months, waiting for it to come down to a price we can afford. I realize the new one is coming out anytime, but I have a few questions about this TV that will help me buy or wait. We will get the 50".

First, should I pay to have it installed by the store? I have an OLD tube, big square, hulking tv. So I do not know anything about flat panel installation. It will go on a stand, not mounted. My experience is: I know what composite, componenent, and HDMI are. I have installed an automatic switch from radio shack on our old tv with our Wii, a roku, and a DVD-R with tuner hooked into the switch, by myself. I know how to set the clocks and scan for channels on the DVD-R and tuner, how to schedule and edit on it and how to burn DVD's. I know how to finagle settings for picture quality to my taste. We have a HD ready cable box from Time Warner Cable and I figured out how to do everything from record shows and series to make favorite channels, etc with the box. I install channels on my Roku, and I installed a WD MyCloud and mapped network drives on the PC's, and stream from it to Roku and other pcs. Is it within my ability to set it all up with the sound bar on my own?

Next, I will use the motion control on the remote quite a bit, as I plan to use the browser on the tv. Is the motion sill a bit glitchy/quirky or did they fix that in a software/firmware upgrade?

I did skim over the 586 page official thread for this TV but I have to make a decision within a day or two and I feel I can't absorb every little important thing. Is there anything I should know about the TV? Flaws, quirks, installation hints? Links that will help me get the best out of it?

Thank you VERY much for any advice,
Gina

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
You seem to know the basics, I would try and do the install by myself if I were you. All you need is an HDMI connection from tv to HD cable box. Remember HDMI carries video/sound. And it gives you the best picture quality. Make sure you Set your cable box to 1080i and your good to go. The wii will have to be hooked up with component. As for the 8550 look in the official thread for proper settings to get you started, good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you're not wall-mounting it, then you won't need any installation help, the 55 inch isn't so heavy neither. The connections have become easier since audio + video now goes through HDMI cables for all modern devices. Some soundbars just connect to the TV through an 'optical cable', you'll just need to go into sound settings and select 'use external speakers', and it will work perfectly.

Remote control is quite responsive, it should be no problem, if you browse and type a lot, you may want to look into a bluetooth keyboard to connect to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you, I decided to save myself the money for paid install and try it myself. I don't think I will have problems, but if I do I know I can get some help here :) Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts