AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts
Hmm, sounds nice, especially since I just bought a BD-C5500 Blu-Ray and a Samsung 58" Plasma, both with Anynet+.

Two things I noticed missing were the ability to rename the inputs (CD->"XBox") and on-screen setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlaltdl /forum/post/18380651

Hmm, sounds nice, especially since I just bought a BD-C5500 Blu-Ray and a Samsung 58" Plasma, both with Anynet+.

Two things I noticed missing were the ability to rename the inputs (CD->"XBox") and on-screen setup.

DO you have it? Best buy is saying next week. I paid $400 after tax but was "worried" about the heat and HDMI-CEC over saving $50 online (buy.com).

Just got mine tonight. Will post in the PM tomorrow

Will be

PS3

XBOX

Media Center ATI 5870

->Mits 73" DLP

We shall see if:

1. Power decent (all paradigm bookshelf and powered sub)

2. HDMI-CEC works

3. SYNC with HTPC etc

4. Heat

5. NOISE!

Does anyone have any experience with this yet? (help sjchmura, I'm desperate!)

One thing I'd really like to know is if the firmware can be updated by the consumer. I can't find anything about it in the manual, but there is a port on the back that appears to say "only using for update" on the newegg (can I say that?) picture. The lack of this is why I didn't buy the Pioneer VSX-919, but Samsung seems really good about firmware updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/18352870

I decided today to go ahead and give one of these a shot. Went back to Amazon to get it at $355 and the sale is over, it is now full price $399. Now I'll wait. I'm mad at myself for not ordering it on Friday.

I just bought one from Amazon for the $355 price so the sale is still on. I've got prime ($3.99 overnight shipping) so it should be here tomorrow morning. Will give a basic overview after it shows up.

Technically, it's BACK on. I'm ordering right now.

As far as firmware updates, it is capable, but my experience with Samsung's updates has not been as good as yours it seems. I have a LNT4671f ... look it up. That's all I have to say about that. But honesly it's a good TV if I leave AMP off.

SUmmary: Do not buy it

Mits 73" DLP calibrated

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC (i7/12GB/5870) - killer gaming rig too

Onkyo 606B blew up a second time and just got tired of it (HDMI boards are defective in all of them since they put them over the heat)

HDMI-CEC worked flawlessly on the ONkyo, switching inputs etc. Made using the harmony a no brainer - sicne volume, on off, etc you just had to hit the TV.

Samsung complete disaster

HDMI-CEC did not work. It states "Anynet only (HDMI-CEC" but it should state - DOES NOT SUPPORT NON SAMSUNG PRODUCTS

HDMI 1.4 does NOT have Audio Return - I was looking for this

NOT 1.4a (like Onkyo)

No GUI

PS3 7.1 setup - constant "drop outs in battlestar blu-rays and a few others". can't explain it. It is best heard with long periods of no sound. Like say flipping throug the PS3 guide or your computer. Some sounds seem "lost" and then return!!!

It is so pretty to look at and runs VERY VERY COOL with 7.1 hooked up (Paradigm system)

Going to wait for Onkyo. Pre-ordered the 608 with 1.4a due in next week for $369 from a major place in chicago.... PM me if you want the sales guys name - was best price by far even after tax for me and free shipping.

Took Samsung back to Fry's today. They said "well, this is the 3rd one we have seen come back in 1 week".

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2 /forum/post/18429113

well thats good to know. Take that off of the list lol

AO disapointed. It was a "pretty" receiver according to my wife. Too bad the sound sucks.

That sounds like the Onkyo wasn't being cooled properly or didn't have enough breathing room. Onkyo's run very hot and require more room than most receivers. As for the Samsung, it sounds like you were having HDMI hand-shake issues and other issues. That sounds like it could be fixed via firmware update. Did you get to use the auto calibration system on the Samsung? How were the different DSP modes? What was the sound like in general when it worked properly? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura /forum/post/18428847

SUmmary: Do not buy it

Mits 73" DLP calibrated

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC (i7/12GB/5870) - killer gaming rig too

Onkyo 606B blew up a second time and just got tired of it (HDMI boards are defective in all of them since they put them over the heat)

HDMI-CEC worked flawlessly on the ONkyo, switching inputs etc. Made using the harmony a no brainer - sicne volume, on off, etc you just had to hit the TV.

Samsung complete disaster

HDMI-CEC did not work. It states "Anynet only (HDMI-CEC" but it should state - DOES NOT SUPPORT NON SAMSUNG PRODUCTS

HDMI 1.4 does NOT have Audio Return - I was looking for this

NOT 1.4a (like Onkyo)

No GUI

PS3 7.1 setup - constant "drop outs in battlestar blu-rays and a few others". can't explain it. It is best heard with long periods of no sound. Like say flipping throug the PS3 guide or your computer. Some sounds seem "lost" and then return!!!

It is so pretty to look at and runs VERY VERY COOL with 7.1 hooked up (Paradigm system)

Going to wait for Onkyo. Pre-ordered the 608 with 1.4a due in next week for $369 from a major place in chicago.... PM me if you want the sales guys name - was best price by far even after tax for me and free shipping.

Took Samsung back to Fry's today. They said "well, this is the 3rd one we have seen come back in 1 week".

Nice.

Mine arrived this morning. I'll be able to put it through its paces tonight.

My setup:

Samsung LN-T4671f (HDMI)

PS3 (HDMI)

HTPC (HDMI)

Old Sony 300 DVD changer (Component)

Pioneer LaserDisc Player (gonna hook it for for S&Gs - Composite)

Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub

My plan is to run 5.1 audio in the living room and run 2 channels out to the patio since it has multi-room capabilities. I will not be testing 7.1.

I have it out of the box on my desk here at work. It is an attractive unit. I plugged my iPhone into it, and the iPhone reported "This is not a supported accessory", even though the receiver's box and manual states that iPhone is supported. It even specifically states 3G and 3GS on page 28 of the manual. It also appears there is no way to shuffle tunes off the iPhone/iPod, which kind of stinks. I don't want to just play all my tunes in order.

I don't care about onscreen GUI or Anynet+, so if these don't work it won't be a dealbreaker for me.

PS:

HDMI 1.4 does support audio return, but this specific receiver or possibly the TV you are using (more likely) does not. This would be great to have so I wouldn't need the optical cable anymore.

TornadoTJ - If feasible please check the headphone quality out of this receiver, full size headphone would be great! I am trying to see if I can use this receiver for my home office setup and most of my listening would be on headphones. Thx

I don't have any decent headphones to test this with. I wish I did, I'd be listening to my iPhone right now. I only have a cheap set of Sony noise cancelling over-the-ear phones and a bunch of iPhone/iPod ear buds.

OK, after a few hours of setting up and playing with the receiver, here are my thoughts.

The sound is fine to me. At 44 I don't have the golden ear I did when I was younger, so maybe someone with better ears than mine can go into this a little more.

The picture quality is totally unaffected by the receiver.

The iPod dock works just fine, charges the iPhone, easy to setup. It only plays music in alphabetical order so that I can tell so far. This isn't good enough for me, I don't like it. I'd prefer to be able to play from playlists, etc. I may still run a cable from the AUX port on the back to be able to use the iPhone's native iPod app to manage music, while using the dock to keep it charged.

My Harmony One doesn't really know how to control the device. it fails when trying to change inputs. It stops on the iPod audio when changing from my HTPC to my PS3.

I cannot test the "lights" for the lossless formats through Bitstream since my PS3 is the older phat model which can't bitstream these formats. It does sound great through PCM, much better than plain DTS and Dolby Digital through my old JVC RX-8020V. The LFE is WAY better on the lossless formats!

The automatic setup seems to be just determining speaker types, crossover points, and output levels. I do not believe it does any sort of equalization. The way I use my system currently probably wouldn't lend itself to anything more elaborate than this, so for my needs it works just fine. I set it up manually first based on what I thought it should be set to. The automatic setup system seemed to tweak these settings a bit better than my guesses.

I have not tested anything yet other than HD output through HDMI. I will connect more sources tomorrow to make sure that conversion from analog to HDMI works as it should.

I have had ZERO video or audio dropouts or errors. Everything is working great. I have high-speed HDMI cables from Monoprice.

I'm sorry I don't have good headphones to test with. Headphones aren't my thing unless I'm on an airplane.

All in all, I like the system, and for what I paid I believe it to be a bargain. I'm sure that Logitech will address the remote issues, for now I may just reprogram it via the learning functions (yuck).

21 - 40 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.