AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Samsung HW-F850 sound bar for my living room. I absolutely love the sound, but the bar itself seems to have an odd buzzing/humming (almost mechanical) sort of noise to it.

Here is what I've noticed:
  • Noise comes out of close to the left and right ends of the bar when the bar is turned on.
  • I can hear the noise when I'm about 8ft away at night when the house is quiet (while watching really low volume TV, for example).
  • Noise happens when bar is plugged in with no connections beyond the power cable.
  • Noise happens immediately when input is set to HDMI (with or without an HDMI cable plugged in or input signal present).
  • Noise is not present when input is set to Bluetooth. As soon as BT device connects (like my phone), noise starts. Connecting/disconnecting can start/stop noise at will.
  • Noise is kind of a higher pitched zzzz. It almost sounds mechanical.
  • Noise happens on all my outlets in the house and through various types of power bars. I even tried killing all power in the house except right by the electrical panel and it still happened there.
  • Noise does not change at all when sound bar's volume is turned up or down. Also, none of the bar's settings seem to impact it.

I ordered a second F850 bar. As soon as it arrived, I plugged it in and it made the same noise!

It seems to me like it might be the natural behavior of the bar. Does anyone else have this thing? Can you confirm if you get this noise too? I wonder if it could be the vacuum tube technology? Any thoughts?

I called Samsung and they say they've never heard of this problem. They suggested I bring it to a Samsung repair shop ... but give that I've ordered two and they are both the same, I question the value of bringing it in for repair.

I also wonder how it could have had such glowing reviews from the audiophiles out there if it makes this noise. I'm no audiophile and I notice it a lot. I see no mention of it on the net anywhere.

I love the sound and would love to keep the bar, but this sound is bugging me a bit ...

Thanks,

Cranke

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has Anyone had any luck resolving this issue..
I bought the HW-F850 Soundbar Heavily discounted a few days ago. Demo Model.

I got it home. Plugged it in. Connected Bluetooth and there was the same noise that you describe.

I tried several different devices connected via BT.
I relocated the Soundbar in another room. I turned off the Sub. No difference. I played with the Power pack connection and there seemed to be a minor difference, although this may be disconnection and reconnection. While plugged in and connected to BT the sound remains. However I have note that the volume remains the same.

I took the unit to a friends place and set it up there. No difference.

Ive taken it to SAMSUNG for repair. Isn't that Laughable? ( Day One Failed)

When I booked the unit in for repair I asked he Tech what he knew. Both he and another tech looked at one another and failed to comment. I would understand this to be SAMSUNG Basic Training.

Rule #1 Never admit anything about faulty Samsung Technology.

It would be great to hear from anyone that has had this issue resolved.

Cheers
Pablo

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I brought it twice for repair and gave up. If I where you i would bring it back to the store while you still can...

Samsung says this the product...

Weird loud high pitched buzzy noice is normal for a high end sound bar for Samsung.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a temporary fix...

1.) Power off soundbar.
2.) Hold down the "STOP ■ " Button for 5 seconds until you see something flash up on the soundbar for a moment.
3.) Wait a few minute... do not turn the soundbar back on.
4.) After a few minutes, turn the soundbar back on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

anyone having any luck with this? Yesterday, I also bought a discounted (demo) Samsung soundar (it is the new model, the HW-H750) and I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

Basically, as soon as I turn the soundbar ON, a high-frequency hiss / buzz starts to be emitted from both the left and the right speakers of the soundbar (the subwoofer, on the other side, is perfectly silent). The sound comes with every source selected and is independent from the volume. It stops as soon as I power down the soundbar. Please note that NO audio cable is attached to the soundar.

The sound is clearly audible in a quiet room and this is simply not acceptable for a hi-fi equipment priced at over 500€!!!

Today, I brough it to a Samsung authorized repair center (since the shop, to replace it, asked me to pay the difference between the discounted demo price and the original street price) but I'm worried that they'll end saying it is normal. So maybe, it will be just better to bring it back to the shop and exchange it for some other soundbar.

What do you think?

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed by Samsung on this. I regret not having selected a brand recognized for hi-fi products...

Cheers,
Andrea

·
Registered
219 Posts
FWIW, I have the H750 and don't have the buzz problem you describe. My unit came with a "Toroidal Ferrite Core" which you attach to the power cord of the subwoofer, which is supposed to reduce noise caused by electromagnetic radiation. Does the F850 come with one? Anyway, since your buzz is not coming from the sub, I would think that's not related, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last month i bought an f751 display set which was on huge discount at a local store (Malaysia) but was given long warranty. Tested in store but did not realize the high pitch buzz until i was at home. The noise was impossible to hear in the noisy store.

Sent it back to the store for repair and it was further sent to Samsung service centre. After roughly 2 weeks the repair was done and i am happy to report that the annoying sound was gone.

However i noticed that the tubes looks a bit different, maybe a bit longer/larger and is not as bright as before, and a bit cooler to touch compared to the old tubes. After googling i believe that our problem is caused by defective tubes, aka the 120Hz hum/buzz.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the same problem. I end up taking apart and checking. i found out that hum is coming from tube powersupply and amplified by the tube. I started filtering the power rails but didnt help maybe and rc filter gone bad or something. Or the Tubee. @Mark McVernon will you be able to check modal of the tube?

For right now there is a temporary fix. You can unplug the tube powersupply enable wires, if you do that Tube powers off and speaker continuous to work without an issue and I cant notice any difference. If anyone need any assistant doing that I can post pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found a temp fix

i have the same problem. I end up taking apart and checking. i found out that hum is coming from tube powersupply and amplified by the tube. I started filtering the power rails but didnt help maybe and rc filter gone bad or something. Or the Tubee. @Mark McVernon will you be able to check modal of the tube?

For right now there is a temporary fix. You can unplug the tube powersupply enable wires, if you do that Tube powers off and speaker continuous to work without an issue and I cant notice any difference. If anyone need any assistant doing that I can post pictures.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hansaka Perera can you please post the pictures? I am having the same issue and want to verify which wires to disconnect.

Is this amplifier a tube pre-stage/tranny power amp or are the valves just for show?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think i can see the tube model without opening it up though. But if u disconnect the tubes and yet the speaker still works than what is the point of having the tubes?? :confused:

Can you guide on how to open the soundbar? Will it void the waranty?
@hansaka, can this pix help? Got it somewhere on the net :)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same problem with my HW H750 but only happens when the Wifi connection disconnects.

If you feel comfortable with taking the soundbar apart, would you mind taking some pictures of the speakers in the sounbar?

·
Registered
160 Posts
First, many thanks to cranke_boy for starting this thread. This is the best discussion of this issue anywhere on the web.

I bought an open box HW-F850 from Best Buy last week and noticed the same buzz/hum on every input except BT. It was localized to four spots on the front of the bar - probably corresponding to the location of the four tweeters.

I submitted a service request on Samsung's website and they called me back the very next day, which was a Sunday! After going through the mandatory troubleshooting steps they sent me a prepaid label to ship the soundbar back to them for service.

Except for the buzz/hum, I am very pleased with this soundbar. Overall, the sound quality appears to be on par with that of decent bookshelf speakers driven by a budget stereo amp. Contrary to reports from some users, I am not seeing the subwoofer put out midrange frequencies. The low end appears to be non-localized (as it should be), and the rest of the sound seems to emanate from the soundbar itself.

I will update this post after I get the soundbar back from Samsung.

Update: I got the soundbar back from Samsung yesterday and they had replaced the main PCB. Unfortunately, the buzz is still there. I may replace the tubes myself instead of sending this back to Samsung a second time.

Surprisingly, they had also replaced the speaker grill and the window over the tubes, which were dented/scratched when I bought this as an open-box item. Now, it looks new. So, it was not a total waste!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.