AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PS4 I use for gaming and blurays hooked up to a Samsung HW-H750 soundbar. The soundbar can decode Multi channel dolby but not the HD formats. The PS4 allows me to output dolby digital 5.1 as either Linear PCM or Bitstream.

My question is which format I should be sending to the soundbar for the best audio quality. Dolby and not stereo.

Really appreciate any help with this. An hour and a half with Samsung support didn't answer this question.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have a PS4 I use for gaming and blurays hooked up to a Samsung HW-H750 soundbar. The soundbar can decode Multi channel dolby but not the HD formats. The PS4 allows me to output dolby digital 5.1 as either Linear PCM or Bitstream.

My question is which format I should be sending to the soundbar for the best audio quality. Dolby and not stereo.

Really appreciate any help with this. An hour and a half with Samsung support didn't answer this question.
You can try both but I would think Bitstream would be the better choice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Could you explain why that would be the case? Just trying to understand the sound bar a little better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bitstream basically lets the soundbar decode the signal itself whereas PCM is 'preconverted'

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/842477-bitstream-vs-linear-pcm.html

For your soundbar, you need to use bitstream since it is unable to do anything with PCM (it will simply play it as stereo)
Thank you very much. The Samsung techs I spoke with said to use PCM and it didn't quite sound right. Bitstream sounded much better so I was confused. Thank you for clearing it up. Appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts