AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3216 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos DTS-X - Harman Kardon

***HERE IS A LINK TO THE FIRST USER IN THIS THREAD WHO HAS ONE IN HAND FOR REVIEW: READ ON FROM THERE.****
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/2962396-samsung-hw-n950-soundbar-7-1-4-dolby-atmos-8.html

I didnt see a dedicated thread for the 2018 HW-N950 soundbar yet, so lets start now! Not to be confused with last years model HW-K950. The new N950 adds side firing drivers to the cabinet, MPEG-H and DTS-X support to the Dolby Atmos from the previous generation. Still includes a wireless sub and surrounds like its predecessor.

AVS Forum news link

Samsung Press release

"The flagship HW-N950 employs front-firing, up-firing, and new side-firing speaker drivers to provide 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos sound."

Color: Midnight Black
Next Gen Wide Range Tweeter - inversed dome-type aluminum tweeter for wider sound stage -600Hz-20Khz
High Linear Excursion Tranducer - Linear excurious up to 3.6mm enhancing low frequency performance (K950: was 1.9mm)
Usability:
- Co-Developed with Harmon Kardon
- 4k Video Pass-Through (HDCP2.2) for both HDR 10, Dolby Vision at UHD 4K/60p, 4:4:4, Rec.2020, & also 3D video pass-through.
- 1 optical Toslink(input)
- Dual Band 2.5/5GHZ Wi-Fi / Bluetooth 4.0
- HDMI (HDMI 2.0a) 2 input/1 output with ARC & CEC
-Alexa 3PDA voice control
-Smart Things
-Wall Mount available
- TV One Remote
-UHQ 32-bit audio upsscaling, Dolby Atmos Upmix, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, MPEG-H, DTS:X, DTS 5.1, MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF
Size: "Matched with 55" TV "
Power: 512 Watts

$1,699.99

**EDIT**
CONFIRMATIONS:
1) This bar CAN accept Dolby Atmos via HDMI ARC from your TV (if your TV can output Dolby Atmos). I just loaded up Lost in Space on Netflix and Atmos was triggered and sounds FANTASTIC.
2) HDMI inputs does it pass Dolby Vision and HDR 4k60hz or 4k30hz? ANSWER 4k60hZ
3) Please check LPCM, Bitstream whether its limiting to Stereo or multi channel. ANSWER: "outputs multi channel when Oppo udp-203 was set to output LPCM". NOTE: DTS:X and Dolby Atmos aren't "triggered" in the soundbar when my Oppo is set to LPCM, it but does when set to Bitstream

4) "The wireless coverage has also been enhanced, improving the rear speaker connection and directly addressing the connection issues that some owners experienced with the K950. "
5) "surround sound expansion mode upmixes the audio to use all the available speakers (ie Upmixes 5.1 to 7.1.4), and the smart mode analyses the incoming signal, choosing the best available processing"

Pro Reviews:
1) https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-hw-n950-soundbar-review.15198

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Also adds dtsx

Reactions: ivallt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the release date?
Press Release link says "Samsung’s 2018 home entertainment line will be available in stores beginning March 2018. For more information and pricing on Samsung’s TV and Audio products, please visit www.samsung.com."
I would think that means April 1 2018 :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Samsung is terrible but if they fix most of the problems with the new model I will totally wish I'd waited for it :p

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm in the market for a dolby atmos & dtsx soundbar. Currently testing htst5000. Got a rude shock with hdmi arc.

So competition between this or one of the sony.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
If the N950 is like the k950 no Dolby vision or Atmos over arc for starters. No clarity ever published about this fact. Samsung does not promote Dolby Vision on its tv or soundbars.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If the N950 is like the k950 no Dolby vision or Atmos over arc for starters. No clarity ever published about this fact. Samsung does not promote Dolby Vision on its tv or soundbars.
Do you have issues using arc, k950, oppo and lg tv. Does the input to the soundbar changes? Wonder if i'll face this issue using n950.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
The Soundbar (k950) will not pass Dolby Vision from the oppo through the 950 there has been no mention of the N950 being any different. Also the Soundbar will not pass Atmos from tv apps to the Soundbar over arc. So far Samsung has not declared the N950 being any different.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree Dolby Vision isn't happening. And you can always work around that with an AVRkey.

Do 2018 Samsung QLEDs send DD+ over ARC? That will determine whether or not they fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I agree Dolby Vision isn't happening. And you can always work around that with an AVRkey.

Do 2018 Samsung QLEDs send DD+ over ARC? That will determine whether or not they fix it.
I use the avrkey. Do not know about the Samsung tv.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I use the avrkey. Do not know about the Samsung tv.
The 2017 Samsungs do DD+ over ARC, no reason to think the 2018s won’t.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
@1:15, when he says "we added dts:x", is that confirmation the K950 will never get dts:x?
My 2c that’s how I would take it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thinking out loud, I literally just ordered a Pioneer LX501 & Sib Evo 5.1.2...
and like some I bet, wondering if I should have just waited for this bar?

Those who have or have experience with the K950 vs the kind of setup I'm getting... is there a huge improvement with a full system or would they be close? (i.e. skip the 30ft run of cable I'm about to do)

:eek:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hope they have fixed the low volume of the back speakers found on the K950 as this was VERY disappointing for the price.

1 - 20 of 3216 Posts