AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think my LG OLED65C7V is supposed to support Dolby Atmos (DD+/Lossy version) over ARC but it's not working using the built-in Netflix app and I've read numerous people having similar issues online.

I would loose out on HD-formats completely by going through the TV over ARC. With the Apple TV 4K connected directly to the soundbar I get Dolby True HD and DTS: Master Audio decoded into LPCM when using Infuse. This won't be possible over ARC as ARC does not support lossless formats at all, you'll need eARC and HDMI2.1 for this and that's only available on the newly announced LG 9-series for OLED's and the Samsung HW-N960 does not have eARC/HDMI2.1 so it wouldn't work even with support on the TV.
Streaming services don't use Dolby True HD, they only use the lossy version of Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus. The ONLY way to get True HD lossless is via disc (or certain files on a local media), so connecting your Apple TV via ARC won't lose you anything.

As far as Atmos over DD+ not working on your LG I would check around on the LG threads, it's probably a setting you're overlooking (LG has a lot of ARC settings and such disabled by default and you have to manually turn them on).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello! Can someone help me please?

I own the Samsung 950 soundbar, 4K apple TV, LG C8.

I have slight lip sync lag when streaming 4k movies that I purchased from itunes when I stream them on my 4k apple TV. Also sometimes has slight stutter.

Everything else syncs perfectly, netflix, cable TV, prime, all good.

I adjusted my samsung 950 sound bar sync from 0 to 300.

I tried adjusting sync on LG from 0 to 12 and it got worse so I keep it at 0.

I hard reset my internet and right when I did it sync’d perfectly but only for a couple minutes.

I tested my download speed and its not very strong at 30-40 mbps.

My kid is always gaming on his ipad which I assume wouldn’t help.

Do you think this is an internet speed issue?

I have uverse internet so I am changing to Xfinity tomorrow with 250 mbps.

I need to fix this itunes movies lip sync delay its driving me nuts!

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Streaming services don't use Dolby True HD, they only use the lossy version of Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus. The ONLY way to get True HD lossless is via disc (or certain files on a local media), so connecting your Apple TV via ARC won't lose you anything.

As far as Atmos over DD+ not working on your LG I would check around on the LG threads, it's probably a setting you're overlooking (LG has a lot of ARC settings and such disabled by default and you have to manually turn them on).
I play 90% 4K BluRay and 1080P BluRay Remux'es / local content from Plex using Infuse, so most of my playback features Dolby True HD 7.1 (not Atmos) which is why I connect my Apple TV 4K directly to the soundbar instead of using ARC.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello! Can someone help me please?

I own the Samsung 950 soundbar, 4K apple TV, LG C8.

I have slight lip sync lag when streaming 4k movies that I purchased from itunes when I stream them on my 4k apple TV. Also sometimes has slight stutter.

Everything else syncs perfectly, netflix, cable TV, prime, all good.

I adjusted my samsung 950 sound bar sync from 0 to 300.

I tried adjusting sync on LG from 0 to 12 and it got worse so I keep it at 0.

I hard reset my internet and right when I did it sync’d perfectly but only for a couple minutes.

I tested my download speed and its not very strong at 30-40 mbps.

My kid is always gaming on his ipad which I assume wouldn’t help.

Do you think this is an internet speed issue?

I have uverse internet so I am changing to Xfinity tomorrow with 250 mbps.

I need to fix this itunes movies lip sync delay its driving me nuts!

Thanks

Brian

Lip-sync has nothing to do with your Internet speed/bandwidth. If you bandwidth is too low, the video will stop in order to buffer. Either you have the data downloaded or you don't. If you connection can't keep up, it will stop and/or buffer.

I do notice the same myself. There is a slight de-sync when playing back 4K and HDR. I didn't know there was a lip-sync option on the soundbar itself? Where do you find it? Is that the "SYNC" option under the settings?

The problem with having lip-sync issues only when playing back certain content is that any adjustment will also affect all the content that doesn't have any issues so by fixing the 4K and HDR lip-sync you are creating issue with all the content that is already working.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lip-sync has nothing to do with your Internet speed/bandwidth. If you bandwidth is too low, the video will stop in order to buffer. Either you have the data downloaded or you don't. If you connection can't keep up, it will stop and/or buffer.

I do notice the same myself. There is a slight de-sync when playing back 4K and HDR. I didn't know there was a lip-sync option on the soundbar itself? Where do you find it? Is that the "SYNC" option under the settings?

The problem with having lip-sync issues only when playing back certain content is that any adjustment will also affect all the content that doesn't have any issues so by fixing the 4K and HDR lip-sync you are creating issue with all the content that is already working.
Thanks for responding. Yes its the sync options in settings. You should be able to toggle it from 0-25-50-75-all the way up to 300. The Samsung rep said to keep it at 300. It didn't really help. The thing is, when I reset my internet the same movie streaming on iTunes apple tv actually sync'd perfectly but only for a couple minutes and now it has slight delay again. I tried changing the sync adjustment on the LG TV from 0 all the way up to 12 and it got worse. If I could take it negatively it would probably have fixed it. Any other ideas how to fix this? Xfinity is actually installing my new internet right now. But from what you are saying this won't help the lip sync delay...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also, the lip sync delay ONLY happens with iTunes 4K on my apple TV. If I run Netflix, prime, anything else on my apple tv, or watch cable TV normally there is no delay at all. Only iTunes purchased movies...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is your ATV 4K directly connected to one of your N-950 inputs. If not, do so. Then be sure to reset all of your sync/delay settings.

Then reboot all devices.

Thanks, I'll double check that tonight. Somehow, its actually fixed! (For the time being)

Xfinity installed internet/new tv package yesterday, now instead of 30-40 mbps I am getting 250-300 mbps. This completely fixed the lip sync lag for the 4K iTunes movies!!

But then, my cable TV channels had horrible lip sync delay out of nowhere, I then unplugged the HDMI to the Samsung soundbar, plugged back in, works perfectly again.

Sorry guys this is all brand new to me. I haven't bought a brand new TV for almost 10 years and with TV stuff this is like thousand years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's strange to me is how the Samsung HW-K950/960 had several levels of DRC which you can activate, while the Samsung HW-N950/960 lack these options entirely.
This seems like the problem. With the volume LOUD I have great bass. At normal casual listening levels, it is lacking.

Question to those happy with bass output - what volume level do you listen at? I use 15-18 and the bass is underwhelming.

I used a frequency sweep and an SPL meter, and credit to the 950, the output was relatively consistent db level down to 30Hz. It just isn't punchy with normal content.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t normal listen higher than 10, that’s pretty loud in my room. But I amped all speakers +6. Bass in even 7 is sufficient, I would move the sub around to see if it helps.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
This seems like the problem. With the volume LOUD I have great bass. At normal casual listening levels, it is lacking.

Question to those happy with bass output - what volume level do you listen at? I use 15-18 and the bass is underwhelming.

I used a frequency sweep and an SPL meter, and credit to the 950, the output was relatively consistent db level down to 30Hz. It just isn't punchy with normal content.
Uh, no you are not getting 30Hz out of an 8" driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HW-N950 Firmware support

Has anyone heard of upcoming firmware support to resolve the 5 minute auto power down "feature".

Samsung's support for the HW-MS750 was much better than the support they have provided for their flagship HW-N950 sound bar.

Seemed like ever two or three weeks they were issuing firmware updates and not so much with the N950.

It would be nice if they would let the customers know if they plan to push a firmware update to provide support for EARC in the future; but knowing Samsung that would be the last thing they would offer they just want us to go out an shell out another $1700 for a new setup.

Disappointed with the lack of support of the HW-N950 - maybe they have already moved on.

Scott

·
Registered
158 Posts

I have the exact same experience and impressions. I run everything on +6 including the bass, besides the central speaker which is -3. I suppose in order to get added bass we could change into something like -6 on the central and +3 on the others and still have +6 on the subwoofer just to get it increased further compared to the rest.

But this isn't untypical behaviour. The intended dynamic range has been optimised around a specific volume level which tends to be really high. Of course it would, it's supposed to give you realism and entertainment. If a grande exploded right next to you in real life it would be loud, wouldn't it.

This is the whole purpose of DRC. You want to decrease the dynamic range so it better fits your intended volume. The idea is that you are trying to get the same feeling of peaks in the audio even at the lower volume. Of course the sub won't go as deep and give you the same punch at 10-15 volume as it would on 20-30. Same goes for the highs, they won't extended as much etc.. But by compressing the dynamic range you are saying that you don't want there to be the same gap and contrast applied, so it should let the bass go deep and the highs going high even at volume levels where they would not do so if the dynamic range was at it's default levels.

The range between the frequencies gets squashed/compressed so you won't need the same volume level to achieve the lowest and highest in the range.

Some might confuse DRC with things like "Night Mode", but features like various night modes don't only compress the dynamic range but they do also aggressively cuts out, especially the lower frequencies in order for the audio to be better suited for night watching if you don't intended to disturb others. Other firms like Sonos is calling DRC for "Loudness", but Loudness can mean different things. Sonos seems to only compress the dynamic range, but others like Apple seems to apply a EQ trying to not only decrease the DRC but also boost various frequencies to "spice" it further. I tend to prefer to have the frequencies unaltered and just the dynamic range compressed.

Yamaha has a really nice adaptive drc on their receivers where they will apply various degrees of drc depending on the volume level. Trying to achieve the audio to sound correct/best at all volume levels.

You get the opposite effect if you apply DRC + going loud on the volume. Then you get overly boosted low's and high's.

But this is just me rambling. It's just sad to see that Samsung dropped their rather extensive DRC implementation on the previous models on the HW-Nxxx series. I tend to listen on 8-15 and this would have benefited a lot by some DRC.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My N950 has an issue whereby the rears disconnect (blue light) when I come to switch the bar on. It is only resolved by unplugging the bar from the power supply.
This has happened only about twice in two months, but I'm confused and worried that there is something wrong with my soundbar.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Many 8" subs are rated below 30Hz, are you implying there is a physical limitations? I realize Samsung rates this system to 34Hz.

My point was the sub can perform technically well but not subjectively well.
Nope you said "relatively consistent db level" meaning flat. Not happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope you said "relatively consistent db level" meaning flat. Not happening.
Thank you for your contributions - you have been very helpful to myself and others.

In this case the feedback is non-productive. I apologize if my attempt to describe a problem with more clarity did not agree with you. I am not a technical expert and was reporting what I personally observed. My desire is to enjoy my soundbar to its fullest potential not prove a point.

It seems the comments on the dynamic range compression are the most likely cause of my issues.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
You're welcome!

If you can't argue facts argue something else. Go it!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a lot of issue when using N950 and ATV4K. I dont recommend it....

Rears speak disconnecting, low volume from rears speakers, many times no more sound (you have to switch to another hdmi channel and come back), ATMOS visible or not, and it is worth when you use a Matrix or AVR...

I'm fed up with both !

I bought to solve it, Moshou cable 48 GBPS, no way !

2301 - 2320 of 3141 Posts