AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone else here with HW-N960 that encounters problem with the rear speakers and subwoofer disconnects?

This happens to me almost every day. Serveral times each week I need to reset the soundbar or make a ID-set and unplug the subwoofer to get it to work again.
Yes - I have this problem - all. the. time. the only fix for it is to power on/off the main bar (for 30+ seconds) and then power on/off the subwoofer - then it resets.

I don't know if this is related to:

1. The Apple TV 4K
or
2. My Orbi
or
3. some other interference from neighbors wifi...

Its just irritating. I feel totally ripped off that for $1400 I have to physically unplug the damn thing every other week to get it to function like it should.
I have the same set up and the same problem. The ‘solution’ for me was to buy a Wi-fi plug socket and have it set to turn off and on every night. This seems to work but is clearly ridiculous for such high-end kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Saw a post about Orbi causing problems for another person.

Can you test by temporarily turning it off?

Can it be configured not to use 5ghz?
Configuring it to not use 5ghz kinda defeats the whole purpose of having it (its the Wifi6 version).

It was doing this with my prior Orbi too - I don't think its the Orbi itself. Pondering getting in touch with Samsung as I'm still in my first 12 months - or just chalk it up as a bad purchase and try again this summer when new units from LG, Sony, etc are available.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Configuring it to not use 5ghz kinda defeats the whole purpose of having it (its the Wifi6 version).

It was doing this with my prior Orbi too - I don't think its the Orbi itself. Pondering getting in touch with Samsung as I'm still in my first 12 months - or just chalk it up as a bad purchase and try again this summer when new units from LG, Sony, etc are available.
If you research this issue you will see plenty of people talking about this soundbar and any wifi causing issues. I used to have an Orbi and found it worked best if I experimented with wifi channels, I believe channel 2 on 2.4Ghz worked best for me but your mileage may vary. Why people claim turning off 5Ghz helped I have no idea, I'm pretty sure the soundbar uses 2.4Ghz frequencies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you research this issue you will see plenty of people talking about this soundbar and any wifi causing issues. I used to have an Orbi and found it worked best if I experimented with wifi channels, I believe channel 2 on 2.4Ghz worked best for me but your mileage may vary. Why people claim turning off 5Ghz helped I have no idea, I'm pretty sure the soundbar uses 2.4Ghz frequencies.
So I have been having issues with my N950 since I got it. Speaker cutting out / cracking. Had no idea what was going on. I called Samsung who advised me to do a reset and stated it was a known “static glitch”...pretty sure dude had no idea what he was saying.
The other day I saw a post where someone got the issue to stop when they changed their Wi-Fi channel on their router. This got me thinking. I dove into the manual and where I learned the N950 transmits sound to the rear/sub speakers at 5.80Ghz. I realized the rears and sub must be getting interference from something in my home. Long story short...it was the 5 GHz band on my router. When there was a device connected to my 5 GHz channel in my living room it was interfering with the N950. I have a NETGEAR tri-band router. My 5 GHz-2 operates between 5.725 and 5.825 GHz. I essentially had to stop my router from broadcasting the 5Ghz-2 range and all my issues went away. The system is clear and precise. The rears and sub are also louder. The 5 GHz channel that operates between 5 GHz and 5.5 GHz does not seem to interfere with the N950 at all. I have also not noticed any issues running 2.4 GHz either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the tips about 5ghz interference. I did call Samsung support and they just said I should send it in to replace motherboard in the speakers and sub. Its strange that they cannot know that this is a problem related to interference with the router when it seems that many people have the very same issues.

I havent yet tried to change this, will try today after work. the repairshop operates only during my work hours so its hard for me (without car) to even send it in for service.

Would be very happy if this solves my problem!

Edit, should I try to change anything else here?
Channels I can only choose 1,6 or 11 and bandwith 20Mhz or 40Mhz.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Edit, should I try to change anything else here?
Channels I can only choose 1,6 or 11 and bandwith 20Mhz or 40Mhz.
Those settings look good. 20Mhz gives less potential for interference between your 2.4Ghz devices.

You can let the equipment autoselect channels, or you can manually test to see if any particular channel works better for you. It can depend on what channels your neighbors’ equipment are using.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the same set up and the same problem. The ‘solution’ for me was to buy a Wi-fi plug socket and have it set to turn off and on every night. This seems to work but is clearly ridiculous for such high-end kit.
I found that for the rare occasions I did have a disconnect issue, it was enough to power off the sub, wait a bit, then power it back up for the majority of cases.

I have the sub on a switched power strip just in case. I think I had to use the switch once in the last 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I' new to this thread. I have a Samsung HW-N950, with my Roku Ultra plugged to the soundbar HDMI in and from Soundbar ARC HDMI out connected to my LG UHD TV (LG 43UJ634V) ARC HDMI port. My issues is if i keep my roku display setting to 4K 30Hz no issues, however, if I set to either 4K 60Hz or 4k HDR 30 Hz my TV screen gets black screen constantly but the audio is working.

If I plug the Roku device directly to TV, TV display works fine with all the resolution.

Any clue what is wrong?

Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My issues is if i keep my roku display setting to 4K 30Hz no issues, however, if I set to either 4K 60Hz or 4k HDR 30 Hz my TV screen gets black screen constantly but the audio is working.

If I plug the Roku device directly to TV, TV display works fine with all the resolution.
Make sure you are using certified HDMI cables such as the Monoprice.

Some Apple TV users found that even Monoprice didn’t work for them, and they had to use Belkin 2.1 cables.

Reactions: naustin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those settings look good. 20Mhz gives less potential for interference between your 2.4Ghz devices.

You can let the equipment autoselect channels, or you can manually test to see if any particular channel works better for you. It can depend on what channels your neighbors’ equipment are using.

So far so good! The rear speakers and sub still works, I really hope this fixed it for me :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
After using the N950 about 15 months without issues, Last night I had popping sound from left rear speaker. I have quickly reset the SB and moved to 2.4GHz. This solved the issue. Given samsung manual says to use 5GHz , I am wondering will there be any difference in sound quality?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
After using the N950 about 15 months without issues, Last night I had popping sound from left rear speaker. I have quickly reset the SB and moved to 2.4GHz. This solved the issue. Given samsung manual says to use 5GHz , I am wondering will there be any difference in sound quality?

Thanks.
The Samsung uses 5.8Ghz internally between the speakers, your Router has no effect on this except possible interference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whats up all question for you. I just got my lg c9 and hooked the soundbar arc to tv arc and my nvidia shield to hdmi 1. Im not getting any sound at all from the soundbar and cant get the input on soundbar to avr it basically acts like the setting isnt there. Is the problem i have the shield connected directly to tv? If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Whats up all question for you. I just got my lg c9 and hooked the soundbar arc to tv arc and my nvidia shield to hdmi 1. Im not getting any sound at all from the soundbar and cant get the input on soundbar to avr it basically acts like the setting isnt there. Is the problem i have the shield connected directly to tv? If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it
hdmi1 where? The Lg or the soundbar? You should try it each way and see which works for you. You could also have a settings issue on either the Lg or the Shield. You could try those forum threads as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hdmi1 where? The Lg or the soundbar? You should try it each way and see which works for you. You could also have a settings issue on either the Lg or the Shield. You could try those forum threads as well. Good luck.
Hdmi1 on the tv is the tv arc port and the hdmi cable from tv arc going to soundbar arc. Im just not getting any sound from tv or apps and or hdmi sources connected to the tv

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Hdmi1 on the tv is the tv arc port and the hdmi cable from tv arc going to soundbar arc. Im just not getting any sound from tv or apps and or hdmi sources connected to the tv
Sounds like an ARC setting on your Lg. Does D.in, TV ARC show on the Soundbar's LED when the TV and the N950 are powered On? Are you using a 2.0 premium certified cable from the TV's ARC port to the N950's ARC port? If you are using HDMI do not connect an optical cable to the soundbar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like an ARC setting on your Lg. Does D.in, TV ARC show on the Soundbar's LED when the TV and the N950 are powered On? Are you using a 2.0 premium certified cable from the TV's ARC port to the N950's ARC port? If you are using HDMI do not connect an optical cable to the soundbar.
Yes D.in shows up while hdmi arc is connected. I dont have an optical cable connected. I am using the original hdmi cable that came with the n950 for arc connection. Ive played with all the settings within the tv and cant seem to get it to work unless i missed something.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Yes D.in shows up while hdmi arc is connected. I dont have an optical cable connected. I am using the original hdmi cable that came with the n950 for arc connection. Ive played with all the settings within the tv and cant seem to get it to work unless i missed something.
Ok, D.in shows up so the Soundbar is seeing a connection, what about the second screen TV ARC? If you don't see TV ARC, a setting is wrong on the TV or you accidently turned Anynet+ (CEC) off on the soundbar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, D.in shows up so the Soundbar is seeing a connection, what about the second screen TV ARC? If you don't see TV ARC, a setting is wrong on the TV or you
accidently turned Anynet+ (CEC) off on the soundbar.
When i get home im going to check tv settings again. How would i turn anynet+(cec) off and on through the soundbar? When i had my samsung tv i just connected the soundbar to the tv and it worked not the case with the LG lol appreciate all your help!!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
When i get home im going to check tv settings again. How would i turn anynet+(cec) off and on through the soundbar? When i had my samsung tv i just connected the soundbar to the tv and it worked not the case with the LG lol appreciate all your help!!
:) It is in the manual and it's not something you would accidently turn off so I doubt that is an issue. It really sounds like an issue with the TV not sending an ARC signal/audio to the soundbar.

3081 - 3100 of 3141 Posts