AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only review that matters is yours if you own it.
There isn’t a ‘perfect’ soundbar but I’m sure
this one and top of the line offerings from Sonus,
Sony and LG come close.
Having owned a Sony, two Bose, two LG’s
and a ZVOX, I spent more time learning
The ins and outs of all of them than worrying
what some others think. My latest bar is
The SK 10Y which some users/reviewers
rip, while others like me think it’s outstanding.
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Sony and LG come close.
Paul
Very well said

·
Registered
348 Posts

Sony and LG come close.

Paul

I agree that there isn't a perfect sound bar I just don't have the time too buy and research every one so I personally rely on user reviews heavily and it's worked for me and if I find one I like I don't care what other people think either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
That was my mindset choosing this system, knowing there is no perfect soundbar solution. If I didn't like it, I had planned to return it and try something else.

Although the professional reviews for the N950 are positive, so were they for other equipment I've owned, and as someone pointed out earlier, the reviewers can miss a significant system flaw if they're only reporting on advertised capabilities and not actually testing them out themselves. I'll never be burned that way again. Even if I don't plan to use a particular feature, I will always test them all out. It may not be important to me, but it may be important to the guy that buys your system off you down the road.

I can say this for sure: Setup is a breeze. The speakers pair themselves just by plugging them in and switching on the soundbar. The biggest decision I really had to make was which sound mode to try first, and settled (for now) on 'Smart'. Return policies are our friend, so if you want it but end up not liking it, then you really have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That was my mindset choosing this system, knowing there is no perfect soundbar solution. If I didn't like it, I had planned to return it and try something else.

Although the professional reviews for the N950 are positive, so were they for other equipment I've owned, and as someone pointed out earlier, the reviewers can miss a significant system flaw if they're only reporting on advertised capabilities and not actually testing them out themselves. I'll never be burned that way again. Even if I don't plan to use a particular feature, I will always test them all out. It may not be important to me, but it may be important to the guy that buys your system off you down the road.

I can say this for sure: Setup is a breeze. The speakers pair themselves just by plugging them in and switching on the soundbar. The biggest decision I really had to make was which sound mode to try first, and settled (for now) on 'Smart'. Return policies are our friend, so if you want it but end up not liking it, then you really have nothing to lose.
My feelings exactly, Buy it if you want, put it
through it’s paces by taking the time to learn
what all the features/settings do, if not satisfied,
try something else. 😉

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my case ultimately I may end up ordering it again. The preorder I cancelled wasn’t going to ship for a few weeks so it’s not like I was missing out on putting it through its paces this week. I also my have wildly high expectations of what I’d expect out of this soundbar given the expense. Part of the problem is not only have I not heard this particular bar, I’ve never demoed any Atmos bar setup. I probably need to do that so I can have a better idea what to expect should I decide to proceed with a purchase of this or any other Atmos system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
2) What's the difference between choosing "HW-N950(HDMI)" vs. "[AV]Samsung Soundbar N950 (Wi-Fi)?"

Edit: added menu screenshot

My system: KS9000/N950/M9500/ATV4K
WiFi is connecting the tv and soundbar wirelessly, it won’t allow atoms or any of the better sound formats to work that way.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks @UnfoldingSquid ! Last night I used (HDMI) instead, and I think it was because the sound dropped using (Wi-Fi) option, so that makes sense. It works for cable TV, which is DD. I wonder who finds that option useful? I guess if you're not playing advanced audio files? I'll look more into that, but I appreciate you chiming in.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
For the people complaining or who are concerned about the rear volume, it was a common topic in the k950 thread. The rears in 5.1 content aren’t supposed to be as loud as the fronts, most soundbars falsely inflate the sound and/or add more sounds from the front to the rears. The Samsung Atmos bars actually decode it the same way it was recorded, and if you take the time to get used to it it’s much more true to what they intended you to hear when they mastered the sound.

Atmos, on the other hand, isn’t channel encoded but is object based, so the rears will come alive much more. Again, as intended when mastering it.

Atmos is channel encoded with a 5.1/7.1 bed, just like it’s been done for years... it does add objects into the mix, but relies heavily on the bed channels in most setups...

On a side note... has it been confirmed that the N950 will indeed process Atmos over ARC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Atmos is channel encoded with a 5.1/7.1 bed, just like it’s been done for years... it does add objects into the mix, but relies heavily on the bed channels in most setups...

On a side note... has it been confirmed that the N950 will indeed process Atmos over ARC?

A couple of early reviews tech radar one and a couple users on this thread. Also passes dv over arc.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
How do Xbox game that support Atmos (tomb raider, gear 4, etc) sound with the N950? I have a small living room that's 12x11. I was planning on upgrading my AVR and speakers but all the positive impressions of the N950 have me thinking about the sound bar option.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
You mean it passes DV over HDMI ? ;)

Thanks for the confirmation of Atmos via ARC.

The lgsk10y also

·
Registered
669 Posts
How do Xbox game that support Atmos (tomb raider, gear 4, etc) sound with the N950? I have a small living room that's 12x11. I was planning on upgrading my AVR and speakers but all the positive impressions of the N950 have me thinking about the sound bar option.
I'm in the same boat here with a living room roughly the same size, with an 8' ceiling. I used to have room for a traditional floor standing speaker/AVR setup, but a good sound bar surround system better suits my current needs. Enough people must share that opinion because companies are obviously investing in R&D to make sound bar surround systems appeal to a wider audience. It will be interesting to look back in 5-years and see how far they've come from today. I'm sure this system and others will be laughable in the not too distant future. That's great for then, but this is now :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm in the same boat here with a living room roughly the same size, with an 8' ceiling. I used to have room for a traditional floor standing speaker/AVR setup, but a good sound bar surround system better suits my current needs. Enough people must share that opinion because companies are obviously investing in R&D to make sound bar surround systems appeal to a wider audience. It will be interesting to look back in 5-years and see how far they've come from today. I'm sure this system and others will be laughable in the not too distant future. That's great for then, but this is now :D

Yea I came from separates with floor standers as well never thought that would happen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
..... I really am skeptical about amazon reviews. I also have it on preorder.
Not that it's relevant to this discussion because the N950 is so new, but when shopping Amazon, I'll sometimes use a website called "Fake Spot." You may already be aware of it, but in case you're not, just paste the Amazon URL here:

https://www.fakespot.com/

Algorithms can't be fool-proof, but can certainly be helpful with decision-making.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Atmos actually does both. Atmos encodes objects in x,y,z coordinates, for the 3D objects they are using all the speakers together to trick your ears into thinking that object is in a certain spot. There is also the traditional channel encoding going on in there at the same time, but the object based part is what I was referring to as to why the rears kick in more on Atmos content then they do in traditional 5.1

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Atmos actually does both. Atmos encodes objects in x,y,z coordinates, for the 3D objects they are using all the speakers together to trick your ears into thinking that object is in a certain spot. There is also the traditional channel encoding going on in there at the same time, but the object based part is what I was referring to as to why the rears kick in more on Atmos content then they do in traditional 5.1

When you are listening in < 7.1.4 your rear speakers are getting no information from objects but only the channel beds when the objects have no positive z axis co-ordinates.

Having now mixed multiple projects in Atmos, and having been involved with the codec since its inception, I can tell you that your last statement is actually the opposite of what is happening... a 5.1 track will have the same OR MORE information in the rears at any given time due to the fact that as soon as an object is given a positive z axis value, it will come out of(be “subtracted” from) the channel bed and move into the heights, hence less rear information. This is because the home Atmos codec “mixes” the objects into the channel bed for encoding (theatrical is different in this regard as it does indeed encode the objects separately from the 9.1 bed...)

While you may have the subjective impression that Atmos MIXES are more “surround heavy/active,” objectively the same encode played back in 5.1 will have more information in the “rear” at almost all times than when being decoded as Atmos.

It’s not a “trick” either... the Atmos decoder does it’s best job to place the object into the listening space using the XYZ metadata using the speakers it has... if your room is properly setup then the object should render properly in the space.... when the number of speakers is smaller than what the codec supports (24.x.10) it relies on phantom imaging to so.... it’s no different that a solid center image when listening to two channel music.... the image isn’t as stable or solid, but it should still sound like it’s in the right place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since you guys are discussing ATMOS, I just wanted to quickly ask what the difference is between the delivery of ATMOS through Dolby Digital Plus (I think VUDU does this) and me buying a uhd blu-ray that has an ATMOS mix and playing that?

Just curious, don't really know

·
Registered
436 Posts
@manuman888 The Dolby TrueHD version of Atmos is louder, clearer, and since its lossless it'll be way more accurate to movie theater sound than the lossy Dolby Digital Plus version of Atmos.

541 - 560 of 3141 Posts