AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I will be receiving my n950 soon, and it will be my first system with Atmos. I have read through a lot of the K950 thread, and there seems to be quite a few options to get Dolby Atmos to this soundbar.

I am mostly interested in streaming content (not physical media, so likely VUDU), and would like to get HDR + Dolby Atmos. My display is a Samsung NU8000.

Is there a preference between Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, NVIDIA Shield, XBOX, streaming through 4k player, etc.? What setup would you prefer if you were starting from scratch?
I'd try the Vudu app through the TV first and see if DD+ is able to deliver Atmos to the soundbar that way, if not then buy something extra to plug into the soundbar.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will be receiving my n950 soon, and it will be my first system with Atmos. I have read through a lot of the K950 thread, and there seems to be quite a few options to get Dolby Atmos to this soundbar.

I am mostly interested in streaming content (not physical media, so likely VUDU), and would like to get HDR + Dolby Atmos. My display is a Samsung NU8000.

Is there a preference between Chromecast Ultra, Roku Ultra, NVIDIA Shield, XBOX, streaming through 4k player, etc.? What setup would you prefer if you were starting from scratch?
Might have missed it, but what kind of TV do you have? If it's capable of Dolby Vision you'll want to choose a streaming device that can output it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Might have missed it, but what kind of TV do you have? If it's capable of Dolby Vision you'll want to choose a streaming device that can output it.
Samsung NU-8000, so no Dolby Vision. I also was of the understanding that it won't pass Atmos through ARC, but I will definitely try it when I get the n950.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Samsung NU-8000, so no Dolby Vision. I also was of the understanding that it won't pass Atmos through ARC, but I will definitely try it when I get the n950.
I'm hoping that the 2018 Samsung TVs can pass Atmos over ARC, seeing as the 2018 soundbar does. I remember @Rudy1 last year saying his 2017 Q9 passed Atmos over ARC so my fingers are crossed that my 2018 Q9 will play nice too. :D

Edit: I may actually be remembering Rudy1 saying his TV did DD+ over ARC, maybe he will chime in.

Reactions: New24K

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I got more time over the long weekend to play around with this finally and...something seems off from an audio perspective compared to the K950, especially when playing content on my Xbox (Hulu/Netflix/Games), PC and PS4. It's driving me insane. The best way I can describe it is that the audio that you would expect from the center channel, be it dialog for video content or your gunfire for something like Destiny 2, feels less rich and more muffled compared to the K950. I've played with the settings on the individual speakers, different modes for the N950, different settings on both consoles and the PC for audio (I'm set to Atmos on the Xbox/PC, and Bitstream DD on the PS4), and I still just have this hollow sound. I know all the speakers work because I get sound from all of them when I do a speaker test on my PC, but it just sounds like everything is partially underwater for the center channel, which is the complete opposite of the K950. I'm really frustrated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I got more time over the long weekend to play around with this finally and...something seems off from an audio perspective compared to the K950, especially when playing content on my Xbox (Hulu/Netflix/Games), PC and PS4. It's driving me insane. The best way I can describe it is that the audio that you would expect from the center channel, be it dialog for video content or your gunfire for something like Destiny 2, feels less rich and more muffled compared to the K950. I've played with the settings on the individual speakers, different modes for the N950, different settings on both consoles and the PC for audio (I'm set to Atmos on the Xbox/PC, and Bitstream DD on the PS4), and I still just have this hollow sound. I know all the speakers work because I get sound from all of them when I do a speaker test on my PC, but it just sounds like everything is partially underwater for the center channel, which is the complete opposite of the K950. I'm really frustrated.
Please comment on the below thread. It seems to be an issue with the firmware as many people have confirmed that this bar does not sound as good as the K950 while using the consoles

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater-Home-Audio/Samsung-N950-does-not-work-properly-with-Xbox-One-X-and-PS4/m-p/387494#M6339

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since updating the firmware I've had lost sound twice, needing a source cycle on my TV and a power cycle on the bar. Anyone else witness this? I've not had any issue before the update.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I'm hoping that the 2018 Samsung TVs can pass Atmos over ARC, seeing as the 2018 soundbar does. I remember @Rudy1 last year saying his 2017 Q9 passed Atmos over ARC so my fingers are crossed that my 2018 Q9 will play nice too. :D

Edit: I may actually be remembering Rudy1 saying his TV did DD+ over ARC, maybe he will chime in.
The 2017 Q9 passed the Dolby Digital + version of Atmos over ARC; I was able to get this to work for devices connected to the Q9's OCB, as well as through the Smart Hub apps.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The 2017 Q9 passed the Dolby Digital + version of Atmos over ARC; I was able to get this to work for devices connected to the Q9's OCB, as well as through the Smart Hub apps.
Thanks brother, that’s a load off my mind for when I upgrade to this bar.

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
Complaints about price talk in this thread. Posts removed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater-Home-Audio/Samsung-N950-does-not-work-properly-with-Xbox-One-X-and-PS4/m-p/387494#M6339

Alerted Samsung about issues related to Xbox One X and PS4 Pro since a few people have confirmed they are facing similar issues.
When the K950 first got released there was a similar problem with XBOX ONE not mapping surround sound correctly to K950(No surround sound at all). It got solved pretty quickly although I'm not sure now if it is Microsoft or Samsung who solved it via a new firmware.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello I would like to buy a sounbar, but I have a few questions. I have LG OLED B6 and Xbox One X. I know that Oled B6 does not support Dolby Atmos and I need to connect the N950 to the Xbox, but if I wanted to have a sound on the TV and console what would I have to do? What are my connection options? If I have a suspended ceiling, will Dolby Atmos work properly with me? Do you have any suggestions on how to connect this soundbar to your TV?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since updating the firmware I've had lost sound twice, needing a source cycle on my TV and a power cycle on the bar. Anyone else witness this? I've not had any issue before the update.

Hi,

I’m having the same type of issues since updating.. everything was working fine prior to the update. Now when I turn the soundbar on and select hdmi 1 where my DirecTv box is connected it just says tv speaker and will not send any signal. I have to cycle through all of the sources again and back to hdmi 1 to get it to start passing a signal to the tv. It’s quite frustrating I was really getting to like new system. I had the k950 for two years and should have known better than to iodate the firmware. Samsung always has an issue with the firmware updates imo. Tech support is clueless

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
So at this point when you receive this don’t update the firmware right? Until they straighten out these issues.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello I would like to buy a sounbar, but I have a few questions. I have LG OLED B6 and Xbox One X. I know that Oled B6 does not support Dolby Atmos and I need to connect the N950 to the Xbox, but if I wanted to have a sound on the TV and console what would I have to do? What are my connection options? If I have a suspended ceiling, will Dolby Atmos work properly with me? Do you have any suggestions on how to connect this soundbar to your TV?
Ideally if N950 works as it should, you should connect TV -> XBOX -> Soundbar, this setup lets xbox convert TV audio to Atmos and pass it to soundbar.
Ceiling height and make is most important factor for these Atmos bars. You need to be sure your Ceiling is not too far and sound absorbing.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Ceiling height and make is most important factor for these Atmos bars. You need to be sure your Ceiling is not too far and sound absorbing.

Someone in the LG SK10Y thread said his ceiling is 18 ft. and the Atmos, etc. works great...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ideally if N950 works as it should, you should connect TV -> XBOX -> Soundbar, this setup lets xbox convert TV audio to Atmos and pass it to soundbar.
The xbox doesn't upmix all sources to atmos - it just flags the audio as Atmos. If your original source is stereo, the audio output would still just be 2 channels in an atmos wrapper (i.e. No rear or height info/sound)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The xbox doesn't upmix all sources to atmos - it just flags the audio as Atmos. If your original source is stereo, the audio output would still just be 2 channels in an atmos wrapper (i.e. No rear or height info/sound)
So, how should I connect this speaker to my TV model to have Dolby Atmos?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently changed from a 5.1 surround system to a more dedicated 2-channel set up. So I was researching a higher end soundbar to replace my old system which contained Goldenear, Marantz, and Rel. Now I'm not looking for the soundbar to outperform that old setup or even come close. I just want the essence of the Dolby Atmos setup. I got sick of replacing and upgrading receivers, speakers and cables to meet certain codex requirements. After searching the web and looking for what was coming out I settled on the N950. It has, as many have said, checked off almost all the boxes. I'm surprised that Def. Tech, Klipsch ect. haven't tried to compete with these TV brands. I'd much rather by from a speaker or receiver company then a TV company. Onkyo and Integra both make soundbar system but no upfiring or surrounds, what gives? Anyways I'm looking forward to receiving my system on Monday.

Here's how I went about ordering

1) Amazon - in July, waited until I received an email saying delivery will be between Sept. 26 - Nov. 30, Cancelled that
2) Samsung website - Aug. 5, because it said delivery Sept. 3, then changed to Sept. 16 cancelled, offered me $100 off, stayed until Best Buy offered online
3) Best Buy - Sept. 6, delivery expected Sept 10.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I ordered best by sept 5 said delivery sept 10 I have seen no movement or tracking yet still says processing

681 - 700 of 3141 Posts