AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 3162 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extreme first impressions.

Set up - Comcast cable and bluray player into Sony XBR-65X900C

1. Everything works - I'm not going to do firmware update until problems are solved
2. Soundbar sounds tinny out of box even with bass up and treble down, 10 hours later things are settling down for the better
3. Soundbar gets plenty loud
4. Any content mixed properly sounds great, live TV not so much but is acceptable for a soundbar, have yet to watch live sports to judge
5. Surrounds are quiet even maxed out, I might have to position them closer, which I thought I might have to do, positioned 6' back now out of convenience

Long work week ahead, so I'm not having much dedicated time to listen. Looking to get a Disc or two to try true Dolby Atmos this weekend. Been leaving the soundbar playing while at work to break it in, if you believe in that stuff. I'll never use the the soundbar for music because it resides in my 2-channel setup, just cable TV/internet/Bluray.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
A bit off topic but in order for me to get Dolby Atmos with my N950 from a 4K blu-ray player, does the 4K player have to support Atmos? My current 4K player does not.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
A bit off topic but in order for me to get Dolby Atmos with my N950 from a 4K blu-ray player, does the 4K player have to support Atmos? My current 4K player does not.
All uhd 4k blu Ray players support atmos make sure it is set to output bitstream other output settings off like bd live

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think about canceling my Order now. Wating since ober a week now :-(

So yeah sad there is no real alternative or is there?
I canceled my order with Samsung.com (.edu discount) and went with BB.com. I had preordered mine on August 26th. Mine will be here Friday. I had chatted with Samsung support last night and they told me "I've reviewed your order #________ . We have huge demand for this product"HW-N950 Samsung Harman Kardon Soundbar with Dolby Atmos " currently the order is backordered and there is no estimated date of shipping available." So it went from Shipping Sept 2nd, to Sept 13, to the Sept 16, to nobody knows when. I am curious though if best buy would price match my samsung.com edu price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm going to cancel mine as well. Maybe I'll wait and see how the Vizio 5.1.4 is (if it ever comes out, "Late Summer" is almost over).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ordered my soundbar from Samsung on August 25th with the .Edu discount (thanks for the heads up on that) and with standard shipping and I received it September 6th.
Good for you, but that's aggravating, since I ordered mine on August 24 with the .edu discount and still don't have it, so I just cancelled it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Superb experience so far, upgrading from k950. Lpcm 7.1 from ps4 and nintendo switch, and confirmed dts hdma from shield, and atmos from atv4k. It finally solved all my connectivity and codec limitations!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys & gals, Just a quick note on my experiences having just returned my N950 & gone back to my Sony HT-NT5.

SIDE NOTE: I've found this thread SUPER HELPFUL so thanks everyone.

I was also an early adopter of the K950 which got returned due to wireless drop outs & hissing rears.
I personally just feel these Samsung bars are not polished enough. The rears in my opinion do not come alive often enough and when they do they are not very audible even when set to max 6 loudness. In comparison the wireless rears on my NT5 seem like they are about 3 times louder and are used more often with sound that I believe should be coming out of them. I actually put the N950 rears on the arms of my sofa and they still were not as good as the little NT5 rears.

Another reason for the return is that the regular front left and right channels of the N950 did not seem as noticeable.
Example would be Jack Ryan, with the N950 there is no doubt the room is full of more sound like a kind of ambience which is nice but the front left and right effects were faint compared to the NT5 and there is no way to just increase the output of the front left & right speakers of the N950.
I watched (parts of) San Andreas & the atmos effects of the helicopter were nice but again I felt like I was missing rear audio details along with front left & right details.
The fact I couldn't just press the HOME button of my Sky Q remote to power the soundbar onto the correct HDMI input was also a pain because the other half & kids need to use the sound bar remote for the sole purpose of changing the original input.

The best part of the N950 for me was the super clear voices from the centre channel which my NT5 is miles away from.
I like the fact it can pass Dolby Vision and accept Atmos from the LG apps AND when I tested the Sky Q box connected to HDMI 1 on my LG B7 TV Atmos audio was passed to the N950.

The issues that i've mentioned causing me to return the N950 could presumably EASILY be rectified by firmware updates.
1) let all N950 speaker channels be individually adjustable.
2) make HDMI CEC work as you'd expect it to.
3) allow rears to use more power/be louder/be used more often.
4) have a display / menu show on the TV as the little LCD is super basic

All those who have bought an N950 enjoy - I doubt they these issues will be resolved considering my experiences of very few significant Samsung updates will but still hope they will be resolved.

I felt the safest option was to return the bar within 14 days (due to UK distance selling laws) and should all the above be resolved or some other soundbar that ticks my boxes become available I'll consider changing then.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Strange...

Some owners love this soundbar...

The only professional review so far loved this soundbar - stating that it was "Superb" - and even going so far as to say this is the first soundbar they have heard that can genuinely compete with an AV receiver and speaker package.

But then, some just don't like it - for whatever reason...

Could it be do to improper setup and settings... :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sad my Shop here in Germany is super small, and they quote the Orders of Samsung, so the shop get only 1 or 2 Soundbars per Week while big Shops get 100+ very sad, but that is the thing right now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
I tested out thie sub again this morning. There is a change when you go from -12 to +6 seems strong to thunderous I put a piece of cloth in tube to tame it a bit and it’s fine. Hopefully that is one of the things future firmware will adress. Also I tried to avoid the new firmware but didn’t realize it was automatic. It did affect my bar . When switching in and out of web apps and hdmi 1 and 2 I occasionally loose audio and have to recycle through inputs or power off and on to restore. So I deleted the app reinitialized and temporarily deleted the app and disconnected from WiFi. So far ok will see how quick they do a firmware update to fix . I still am loving this bar as the overall sound is awesome.
Most people want stronger base, not less :) One better thing to try is to reposition the sub to a better location. If your seating position is right at a peak sound wave, it will appear to be louder. Also this happens if you put your sub in a corner. Additionally, a sub’s close proximity to a flat wall can cause a harsh, rumbling, unpleasant sound. And if your subwoofer is a ported design (a subwoofer with an opening to allow airflow), you’ll want to keep it twice the diameter of the port (typically 6-12 inches) away from a wall to allow airflow out of the port.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Most people want stronger base, not less :) One better thing to try is to reposition the sub to a better location. If your seating position is right at a peak sound wave, it will appear to be louder. Also this happens if you put your sub in a corner. Additionally, a sub’s close proximity to a flat wall can cause a harsh, rumbling, unpleasant sound. And if your subwoofer is a ported design (a subwoofer with an opening to allow airflow), you’ll want to keep it twice the diameter of the port (typically 6-12 inches) away from a wall to allow airflow out of the port.
Some want stronger base that’s why there is a control for it. It works but the variation is not terrific, and I do know how to place a sub. This needs some adjustment from Samsung m

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Some want stronger base that’s why there is a control for it. It works but the variation is not terrific, and I do know how to place a sub. This needs some adjustment from Samsung m
I would love a COAX sub out on the bar so i can connect my M&K MX-350, which has its own adjustments. Can dream right. Maybe 2019~!

Reactions: william06

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ahh...Finally got shipping notice for mine. Expecting to be delivered by 10.30 Tomorrow.
Just got my shipping confirmation from Samsung. Arriving tomorrow! Hopefully everyone else that ordered from Samsung gets updates soon
Did you chose express shipping? I did paid for express, not sure it really matters.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi guys & gals, Just a quick note on my experiences having just returned my N950 & gone back to my Sony HT-NT5.

I personally just feel these Samsung bars are not polished enough. The rears in my opinion do not come alive often enough and when they do they are not very audible even when set to max 6 loudness. In comparison the wireless rears on my NT5 seem like they are about 3 times louder and are used more often with sound that I believe should be coming out of them. I actually put the N950 rears on the arms of my sofa and they still were not as good as the little NT5 rears.
What you're describing is something we talked about in the k950 thread and before in this thread. The NT5 is one of those soundbars, like most soundbars, that send extra info that shouldn't be there to the rears. The n950 handles the rears the way a receiver and speakers would, without the extra processing and falsely making them louder. From what you're used to you'll probably never like a true 5.1 setup, and that's fine if that's what you like.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
What you're describing is something we talked about in the k950 thread and before in this thread. The NT5 is one of those soundbars, like most soundbars, that send extra info that shouldn't be there to the rears. The n950 handles the rears the way a receiver and speakers would, without the extra processing and falsely making them louder. From what you're used to you'll probably never like a true 5.1 setup, and that's fine if that's what you like.
I totally agree with you. This soundbar is just fantastic. I think a lot of issues. Are user error or not really understanding enough about the technology. Some users expect surround speakers to constantly be in use or Blair out consistently. I find these are more than loud enough and operate them at level zero most times. My few issues in the beginning trying something I shouldn’t re initialized it and all is fine . I even reinstalled the app and everything is working as should.

Reactions: UnfoldingSquid

·
Registered
47 Posts
My rears seem a tad louder compared to on the K950, love how it seems to mix the side sounds over the front side and back too.

My sub is a lot more subtle though, even though at the exact same place as the old sub.
Need to get used to it. I think its better because even on -12 the k950 sub was often way too present, scared of the neighbors late night.. Now I still have the option to increase bass and subwoofer, when I want to.

As always though, with uncompressed tracks the rumble seems quite present still 😉

Do have some cracking initially when the PC starts playing atmos sound, but I bet some firmware will resolve that. I'm still on 1000.2, awaiting reports of less issues with newer firmwares..

It also seems to more quickly 'sync' when atmos sources play, on k950 this could take easily 10 seconds for me.

Also very happy with Atmos over arc on my LG B7. No earc but there's nobody streaming lossless anyway.
The remote seems to be more responsive.

The bar was really hard to come by here in Germany. First ordered at Euronics, but they lied about their stock. Ordered one in parallel from Mediamarkt. They had it in stock but then it didnt reach the transport until after the weekend. One more day delivery delay, but then it was finally here today.

Super happy with finally able to remove all workarounds for 18gbps hdmi, lpcm and dtshdma/x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys i confirm that Xbox one Will support dolby vision with the Next update (i think) because the preview program allow DV. sorry for my bad english.

841 - 860 of 3162 Posts