AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just received my shipping notice from Samsung.com. Arriving Friday. Note to self... don't upgrade firmware
I received my shipping notice today and it will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 AM. I also did express shipping. Strange that some received there soundbar before me even though they ordered after me. I would have thought it would have been first come, first serve. It was originally supposed to ship the week of Sept 2 and then got moved to sept 16. But I am just glad I am finally receiving it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tried to use it with the 75" Q8DN (euro version of Q8FN) with the feet apart. Well turns out it doesn't fit between the legs.

75" Q8DN with HW-N950 Soundbar

Not sure how to solve that one!:confused::)

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Tried to use it with the 75" Q8DN (euro version of Q8FN) with the feet apart. Well turns out it doesn't fit between the legs.

Wall mount the TV! :D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

75" Q8DN with HW-N950 Soundbar

Me either, it's a long one. Can't wall mount with a window in back of set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ahh...Finally got shipping notice for mine. Expecting to be delivered by 10.30 Tomorrow.

Did you chose express shipping? I did paid for express, not sure it really matters.
Yup I chose to pay for express shipping since I got the education discount and was already planning on spending the msrp anyways so I didn't mind paying to get it faster. Of course we were last in the end haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Me either, it's a long one. Can't wall mount with a window in back of set.
I hear ya. Yeah wall mounting would not be great in my case either.

Thinking maybe a universal pedestal mount -- maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Signal-Universal-Television-Televisions/dp/B00LW7WGXE would work? Worried that the 75" might be too large and heavy for that sort of setup though.

The other idea I had, which is a little crazy admittedly, is to have my buddy rework the legs with a welder and put a piece of extra metal that would hide under the frame to widen the legs. Seems like a bad idea though haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
I received my shipping notice today and it will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 AM. I also did express shipping. Strange that some received there soundbar before me even though they ordered after me. I would have thought it would have been first come, first serve. It was originally supposed to ship the week of Sept 2 and then got moved to sept 16. But I am just glad I am finally receiving it.
I did expedited shipping and didn't mind 2 day shipping. Mine was suppose to ship out 9/3 but was pushed to this week. Honestly I didn't think it would be this week Glad they are starting to ship out. Looks like they don't do FIFO.. Must be a Samsung queuing system. :)

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It looks sexy as heck with both the QLED and N950 wall mounted... :D

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I hear ya. Yeah wall mounting would not be great in my case either.

Thinking maybe a universal pedestal mount -- maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Signal-Universal-Television-Televisions/dp/B00LW7WGXE would work? Worried that the 75" might be too large and heavy for that sort of setup though.

The other idea I had, which is a little crazy admittedly, is to have my buddy rework the legs with a welder and put a piece of extra metal that would hide under the frame to widen the legs. Seems like a bad idea though haha

I don't think that pedestal mount would work for my 78" KS9800 :eek: Not to hijack the thread but I think some folks may have difficulty with that long soundbar. I know I will.
I think I will keep it simple and use these. Just take the screws out and Velcro the legs to the soundbar to raise it up high enough to slip over the legs.

Get black ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Leg-Daddy-Walnut-Finish-Tapered/dp/B00V3V89NA/ref=pd_sbs_60_27?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00V3V89NA&pd_rd_r=28db5f69-b6f8-11e8-b051-b5b232fb75a1&pd_rd_w=3sMIv&pd_rd_wg=NvIG0&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=53dead45-2b3d-4b73-bafb-fe26a7f14aac&pf_rd_r=YZFTEWCMYEAFVGPN1TRT&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=YZFTEWCMYEAFVGPN1TRT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DH65UFI?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&pf_rd_p=f6bcc3b2-55f2-4fe7-b98f-438969aeb896&pf_rd_r=b7a17a6f-c076-4f69-a862-726f0487bfc6&pd_rd_wg=wK4TB&pf_rd_s=desktop-huc-carousels&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B01DH65UFI&pd_rd_w=lYHlB&pf_rd_i=desktop-huc-carousels&pd_rd_r=b7a17a6f-c076-4f69-a862-726f0487bfc6&ref_=pd_luc_rh_crh_rh_sbs_02_01_t_img_lh

Reactions: wamatt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys i confirm that Xbox one Will support dolby vision with the Next update (i think) because the preview program allow DV. sorry for my bad english.
I couldn't find any way on the xbox one to play MKV files that would suport DTS-MA or TrueHD so I ended up just buying an nvidia shield however I am sad about not getting DV passthrough so If anyone knows of a way to play MKV files on xbox one without any issues let me know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I couldn't find any way on the xbox one to play MKV files that would suport DTS-MA or TrueHD so I ended up just buying an nvidia shield however I am sad about not getting DV passthrough so If anyone knows of a way to play MKV files on xbox one without any issues let me know.
I got you! My method may not work for DTS or DTSX, but for 4K, HDR, and TrueHD Atmos, you should be able to use the Movies & TV app on Xbox One to play MKV files from a USB. They work well, my soundbar comes in tomorrow, I'll be able to test DTS:X but I'm almost positive that the app doesn't support it and only supports Atmos. I've also heard that the app should eventually get updated to support dolby vision in the near future. Insiders have already seen Netflix get updated to support Dolby Vision if you are in the Alpha ring for the preview program.

P.S. most likely buying a Nvidia Shield as well because I want DTS/DTS:X support as well and I don't think the Xbox One can do that right now

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone with an Xbox One should check out the Forza Horizon 4 demo that's been released as it tests out the 60fps HDR that people often ask questions about. It also has Atmos and sounds stunning. The way it sounds as if you are actually driving with sound flowing around you is something I wasn't expecting to be so impressive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some users expect surround speakers to constantly be in use or Blair out consistently. I find these are more than loud enough and operate them at level zero most times.
I've had mine setup for about two weeks and I when I set it up I had the rears at four after reading initial advice but it didn't take me long to dial it back to zero.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like I got a faulty rear left speaker. :( The top driver fires for ATMOS/DTS content, but I was pretty sure there was no sound coming from the main rear left driver, as no sound came from it during movies or multi-channel blu-ray audio discs. I found a couple of callout files, and was able to confirm no sound was coming from it. If anyone else thinks they might have the same issue, below are a couple of links for files you can download. I saved them on a USB stick and my UHD bluray player (an LG UBKC90 - Costco's version of the UBK90) recognized them and played them.

DTS:X callout as well as a buttload of other Dolby and DTS demos can be found here - https://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/
7.1 Surround speaker test - https://soundcloud.com/stea27-2/8-1-surround-speaker

The 7.1 was strange in that the rear speakers were identified as the sides and the side drivers on the soundbar were identified as the rears, so either the standard 7.1 processing in the soundbar is incorrect or the WAV file is. If anyone has time, would you mind testing that 7.1 on your bar to see if you get the same?

The DTS:X callout identified all of my speakers correctly, with the exception of the rear left - no sound came from that when it was supposed to, confirming that the rear left is faulty.

I got mine through Samsung's website and opened a ticket for the issue. I got a call from their support, who wanted to run through problem solving with me, but I was at work so need to call them back later this week once I'm able to fiddle with the thing. Although I'm not sure what more I could do since I've tried power cycling the system and ran the ID setup for the speakers multiple times and got solid blue lights for the surrounds and woofer like the manual says you should. Also, to compare, the right rear plays as expected. So I'm hoping I can just send in the rear left for a fix/exchange and don't have to send the entire thing back in - although I guess there's always the chance that the processor in the soundbar itself is the culprit.

My thoughts on the system -
- I've had separates in the past (axiom audio 5.1 system) but it's been a few years due to the hassle of setting up a system in a townhouse and also wanting to be considerate to neighbors - others shouldn't have to suffer just because you want to listen to your subwoofers and entertain yourself! Sorry for the rant - I've had selfish neighbors in the past. Anyway, I'm happy to have full surround and bass again now that I'm back to living in a house. :)
- Overall I'm pretty happy with the system, though I'll be evaluating a lot more content once I get the surround speaker issue fixed. It's not the best system I've heard, but for a soundbar that has a pretty straight forward setup (rear speaker issues aside) and is minimalist compared to a full receiver and speaker wire hassles, I think it's a good deal for the price - I got a discount on Samsung's site through my employer but I would have still bought it at the full price since even then I'm pretty sure it's competing well with any full atmos system you are getting in the price range.
- I do wish there was at least 1 more HDMI input on it though as 2 is kind of ridiculous this day and age. The inputs should also have faced straight out the back of the bar instead of the weird 90-degree angle they're at.
- I'm lucky to have pretty much a perfect setup for this - my ceiling is flat and only 8" high across the entire TV room, and it's a rectangular room with enough space to position the rears back a few feet behind the couch. I've messed around with the volumes of each speaker but went back to "0" for all speakers as that sounds pretty equalized across most content I've listened to so far. The height drivers are "okay". I do get a sense of sound coming from above but it's a little muddied since I can also tell it's coming from the speaker position at the same time. Then again, this system is way more convenient than installing speakers in the ceiling.
- I've seen a few posts of people worrying about the dialog being audible. As far as the stuff I've listened to all dialog was easy to understand with no straining to hear any of it. The Axiom center I had in the past had issues with dialog, and after reading through their threads I think that was due to the positioning of their center speaker driver layout. So coming from that, I was very impressed with the dialog through this bar - granted, the Axiom had an advantage over this soundbar on pretty much all other things besides dialog. Although that would be expected as that system combined with the receiver I had at the time was more than twice the price of this soundbar system. ;)

Anyway, if anyone does have time to take a listen at that 7.1 WAV file I'd be interested to hear if you also had the sides/rears identified backwards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What you're describing is something we talked about in the k950 thread and before in this thread. The NT5 is one of those soundbars, like most soundbars, that send extra info that shouldn't be there to the rears. The n950 handles the rears the way a receiver and speakers would, without the extra processing and falsely making them louder. From what you're used to you'll probably never like a true 5.1 setup, and that's fine if that's what you like.
I totally agree with you. This soundbar is just fantastic. I think a lot of issues. Are user error or not really understanding enough about the technology. Some users expect surround speakers to constantly be in use or Blair out consistently. I find these are more than loud enough and operate them at level zero most times. My few issues in the beginning trying something I shouldn’t re initialized it and all is fine . I even reinstalled the app and everything is working as should.

I do understand what you are saying but my old (not so great) Mission FS1 speakers and old Sony DH800 receiver produced better rear effects and front left & right effects in the Saving Private Ryan Blu-Ray than the NT5 & and N950.

So those are two of the issues I had with the N950, I just feel the system is more focused on vocals than anything else BUT i'm sure many people will / do love the N950

·
Registered
669 Posts
@shinken1 Everybody here is looking for alternatives to receivers and floor standing speakers to replace larger, separate, components such as the Sony DH800 and Mission FS1 speaker system. The N950 isn't for everyone, yourself included, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Now you know it's not for you.

861 - 880 of 3141 Posts