AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks like mine shipped before they processed my cancellation, but I won't have it till next week. I guess I'll give it a shot, and if I don't like it I can always sell it and buy something else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@shinken1 Everybody here is looking for alternatives to receivers and floor standing speakers to replace larger, separate, components such as the Sony DH800 and Mission FS1 speaker system. The N950 isn't for everyone, yourself included, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Now you know it's not for you.
Indeed you are correct.

I've owned a few other high end soundbars YSP 2700 & K950 as well as full av receiver setup.

Some users may have the same issues & frustrations with the N950 (speaker channels can't be individually adjustable, CEC not working right, want an on TV display of soundbar menus and what its doing).
I'm sharing my first hand experiences with the N950 for the benefit of the community. Hope it helps someone

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Hi here is a question for you current owners. Has anyone noticed any fluctuations in overall volume. Last night we were watching a tv show suddenly the total volume dropped I turned it up a little while later it went up again. Later we watched a pvr recorded same thing I unplugged reset cable so far ok I am attributing it to the Comcast signals at this point haven’t noticed it on other sources yet anyone notice this

·
Registered
669 Posts
Can't say I have, but earlier on I did notice that it would sometimes switch from Smart to Standard sound mode. Hasn't happened in a few days though, so I'm not sure what was causing it to happen. It was also having a bit of trouble with ATV4k with active CEC, but that sorted itself out as well.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Can't say I have, but earlier on I did notice that it would sometimes switch from Smart to Standard sound mode. Hasn't happened in a few days though, so I'm not sure what was causing it to happen. It was also having a bit of trouble with ATV4k with active CEC, but that sorted itself out as well.
I forgot about the sound mode have to check when I get home

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be returning mine this weekend. Just can't justify the price vs. sound quality. I was hoping the main L/C/R speakers would sound amazing but there just average. The rear speakers where they should be placed in my setup, are not loud enough. When listening to true surround formats from a disc, the system sounds great, but 90% of what I watch is on cable TV and the surrounds are usually not in use. So I want the main speakers to shine which this unit does not do for me. If this unit sold for around $1200 I'd be happy, but without many of the issues other have stated $1,800 after taxes is not worth it for me.

My TV, through optical out into my PS Audio DirectStream DAC - PS Audio M700's Amps - Legacy Audio Calibre speakers with A Rel 328 subwoofer hooked up, sounds far superior, obviously. So I'm hoping Yamaha updates the YSP 5600, it has subwoofer RCA out and calibration. Just needs HDR passthrough. Although my Bluray player has dual HDMI outputs so I'm thinking of getting this unit or Martin Logan's Cadence.

I'd rather have the main soundbar sound amazing vs tons of surround effects that are only used 20% of the time. YMMV

For many this sound bar will be awesome, it can be. I'm just more about high quality sound then, sound effects.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Picked up the N950 a few days ago. Love the sound and 3D imaging. We also purchased a new Samsung TV.

Thanks to this thread, I did my best to avoid a firmware update, but apparently, wasn't successful. The bar shows its on firmware 1003, and indeed, I'm having CEC issues. Mainly, the bar won't turn on with my TV and DirecTV box. Other than waiting for a firmware upgrade, is there any other fixes? I tried unplugging the TV overnight, that didn't work. Switched cables, too, no joy.

Thanks again for the info here, appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Again, for those of you "unhappy" with the N950 - did you set it up properly?

Did you use a sound pressure level (SPL) meter to set the levels of the speakers and subwoofer?

Are the Atmos speakers unhindered in where they are - and where they are aiming at the ceiling?

Are the Atmos front speakers positioned so that they hit the front 1/3 of the room?

Are the rear speakers equidistant from the main listening position?

And as far as the room - are the ceilings flat? Are the ceiling relatively smooth so they reflect the Atmos sound - or are they more textured to interfere with the Atmos sound?

Again, all indications so far seem to suggest that if you are setting the N950 up correctly and your room is conducive to Atmos - the N950 is a "superb" 7.1.4 sound system, not just a soundbar.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Does anyone know what the smart mode actually does?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got mine today and done the initial setup. I have deleted the Samsung app from my phone to avoid auto firmware update. Will wait until you guys confirm everything is okay.
This evening will connect ATV 4K/Roku P+ and play some content to check where it stands.

Probably this mode will play the content in its native format. I am already missing the various modes( movie, Music, game )K950 used to have and that blue light for Atmos. Now we just have to trust the soundbar to play it in correct mode.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
You could cancel your order and do what several others on this thread have, get it from Best Buy. Some of the Magnolia stores actually have them in stock, or you can order from them and have it within a few days.
Mine Shipped yesterday from Samsung, Delivery 9.14. I think this falls pretty close in line with their estimate of 9/12. You guys must have ordered late :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
It looks like it will simulate 2.1 from a 2 channel signal, and simulate 7.1 on a 5.1 signal. Aside from that, there's no written explanation, so I guess Samsung didn't feel like it needed to be spelled out in the manual. I just leave it on Smart and let it do its thing. If it's ATMOS then it doesn't matter what sound mode you choose anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It looks like it will simulate 2.1 from a 2 channel signal, and simulate 7.1 on a 5.1 signal. Aside from that, there's no written explanation, so I guess Samsung didn't feel like it needed to be spelled out in the manual. I just leave it on Smart and let it do its thing. If it's ATMOS then it doesn't matter what sound mode you choose anyway.

If you look at your attached chart - standard and smart do the exact same thing... :confused:

Reactions: william06

·
Registered
669 Posts
True, although in my experience, 'Smart' seems to energize the signal whereas Standard requires a slightly higher volume setting to be heard clearly. I thought I read somewhere that 'Standard' mode is unprocessed, but I guess I was wrong. Personally, I think that Samsung could revise the online manual to elaborate on details that they seem to assume everyone already knows.

·
Registered
27 Posts
True, although in my experience, 'Smart' seems to energize the signal whereas Standard requires a slightly higher volume setting to be heard clearly. I thought I read somewhere that 'Standard' mode is unprocessed, but I guess I was wrong. Personally, I think that Samsung could revise the online manual to elaborate on details that they seem to assume everyone already knows.
And what does Surround mode due compared to these 2? And virtual rears? There is very little clarity about these settings, and they all seem to be doing the same thing

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Looks that way

·
Registered
25 Posts
Again, for those of you "unhappy" with the N950 - did you set it up properly?

Did you use a sound pressure level (SPL) meter to set the levels of the speakers and subwoofer?

Are the Atmos speakers unhindered in where they are - and where they are aiming at the ceiling?

Are the Atmos front speakers positioned so that they hit the front 1/3 of the room?

Are the rear speakers equidistant from the main listening position?

And as far as the room - are the ceilings flat? Are the ceiling relatively smooth so they reflect the Atmos sound - or are they more textured to interfere with the Atmos sound?

Again, all indications so far seem to suggest that if you are setting the N950 up correctly and your room is conducive to Atmos - the N950 is a "superb" 7.1.4 sound system, not just a soundbar.
Yes to all the above.

I think some people are "unhappy" because they feel the N950 has too many short falls despite the great pro reviews.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Short falls there aren’t any sound systems that do not have short falls. For a full 7.1.4 soundbar system this is the best there is. Some people just really have no idea what’s to expect. I have recently had a K950 liked it a lot. After I Sold it I tried the lgsk10y. Absolutely hated it nothing wrong just felt it was awful sounding to me. Got the N950 for all its great features and terrific sound. Yes a few minor glitches. But does everything it’s supposed to do for me. Some even just might have l little buyers remorse because of the cost. To me worth every penny. Of course the manual could be a lot better with its many features expanded upon. And yes I totally agree with those great reviews . My 2c

Reactions: UnfoldingSquid
881 - 900 of 3141 Posts