AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 3141 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I, too, have been lurking. The thing that puzzles me is some folks are having issues with low sound in the rears left and right speakers not working and the front sub being too low sounding. When I haven't seen a lot of is how people are fixing the issue. I wonder if they've returned and repurchased the entire Soundbar and then had no issues or they're just not talking about it anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
I’ve been following this thread for a while to hear impressions on the Samsung before I bought it. I also saw comments about others waiting on the Vizio and since I’ve been following both thought it might help bring other feedback for people on the fence if they knew another option to compare was out there. My first time hearing about this forum for av enthusiasts and realized it would be a great place to share my experiences also.
Fair enough... not that you need my approval lol. Hope you find the one that works best for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve been following this thread for a while to hear impressions on the Samsung before I bought it. I also saw comments about others waiting on the Vizio and since I’ve been following both thought it might help bring other feedback for people on the fence if they knew another option to compare was out there. My first time hearing about this forum for av enthusiasts and realized it would be a great place to share my experiences also.
Fair enough... not that you need my approval lol. Hope you find the one that works best for you.
Thought this was a test from the forum gate keeper lol
I'm gonna lean in and buy the Samsung this week and see if I can get BB to PM with my employer discount (since BB only verifies the actually site is Samsung when you show them the price). The 5.1.4 Vizio is priced at 999.99$ whenever it does come out and 200$ difference is negligible at that point if the 2 HDMI inputs + HDMI Arc on the Samsung work out and the added benefit of 2 side firing speakers.

I never had any issues with my current Vizio 5.1 I've had for over 5 years so hoping the issues with some users are having with Samsung are hit and miss. As every brand has users with bad experiences.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After the tvOS 12 update, I remember reading in one of the post-installation messages that it delivers ATMOS via multi-channel PCM. For those in the know, it's still ATMOS via Dolby Digtial Plus, right? Not lossless TrueHD audio?
Yes it is DD+. There isn't lossless Atmos via Streaming yet.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Vizio just went live with their 5.1.2 Atmos Soundbar and it is showing up at Best Buy shipping now. The only reviews are from Vizio employees which are raving about it so take it for what it’s worth. It would be great to see the comparisons against the Samsung. Note this is the 5.1.2 that is for sale. The 5.1.4 is still showing coming soon.

vizio soundbars will only have 1 hdmi input and only supports Atmos, no DTS:X, confirmed by cnet today

·
Registered
54 Posts
Vizio just went live with their 5.1.2 Atmos Soundbar and it is showing up at Best Buy shipping now. The only reviews are from Vizio employees which are raving about it so take it for what it’s worth. It would be great to see the comparisons against the Samsung. Note this is the 5.1.2 that is for sale. The 5.1.4 is still showing coming soon.
vizio soundbars will only have 1 hdmi input and only supports Atmos, no DTS:X, confirmed by cnet today
Correct. Although the vizio is confirmed to have DTS: Virtual X which have its pros and cons from various threads. Another review from tech hive said the 5.1.2 was decent with atmos effects but 5.1.4 would probably do better.

1 HDMI input is not ideal compared to an option of two. I have Vizio 5.1 with zero HDMI inputs which is far worse lol

Since the Vizio 5.1.4 is still going to be 999$ I still am opting for Samsung at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For anyone wanting to give the soundbar a run through its paces, other than the Dolby Atmos/DTx demos, I can highly recommend Blade Runner on 4k...the Atmos track is ridiculously good.

Although I am thinking about turning the sub down a little....the bass on this movie is thunderous! (My poor neighbours! :D).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have used about 6 days and my impressions on the bar is very positive. I owned K950 for over an year up to a week before I got this bar. On first day, I felt rears and sub are very quite got me worried reading various complaints here, but don't want to be alarmed until I give it a chance for break in.

After using for 3 days extensively on steaming content where I have to increase rear and sub levels to max, I started playing Atomic Blonde UHD(DTS:X). It was thunderous and beautiful sound. I have to bring down rear levels to 0 and Sub to +3 which is the sub level I always used in K950. Vocals were very clear, actually I have to set CC to -2. With K950, I used to feel vocals are not as clear even at +3 level and sometimes I have to use subtitles. Next played Die Hard 4(DTS-HD 5.1), again its a great track. Sub and rears are very much active and my initial doubts are totally cleared up. Then I have watched Ready player one(Atmos), it just blew me away. This track made me feel like the money spent to upgrade is worth every penny.
Break in period is a thing for speakers, I guess it applies to soubars as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Picked mine up from BB today with price match from Samsung UNiDAYS discount. Overall excited to replace my old Vizio 5.1 with this. I plan to leave a detailed review after a few days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked mine up from BB today with price match from Samsung UNiDAYS discount. Overall excited to replace my old Vizio 5.1 with this. I plan to leave a detailed review after a few days.
Can you walk me through the process of matching price at B.B. from Samsung UNiDAYS discount? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I haven't seen a lot of is how people are fixing the issue. I wonder if they've returned and repurchased the entire Soundbar and then had no issues or they're just not talking about it anymore.
Nothing to fix, there are no options to do so. I've returned mine. I bought a Beam to bridge the time for something better, but I like it so much I', going to keep it. Yes on paper it is inferieur, but I'm having soo much more fun now. And for a third of the price (excluding the 2x Play 1's) I appreciate it more than the n950.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I received a reply from Samsung @UnfoldingSquid but the agent mistakenly believed there is an AUX option on the N950. I guess they can't have hands-on experience with all of their products when they're this new. This is the e-mail I received today:

Customer reference number: ---------
Please quote your customer reference number when contacting Samsung
Email response ID: --------

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Samsung technical support.

I reviewed the email you sent about the Auto Power Down off on your Soundbar(HW-N950). I see that Soundbar doesn't display Auto Power Down off status even when you press the Play/Pause button for 7 seconds.

I know how important it is for you and I'll help you address this.

1. Unplug the Soundbar power cord from the wall outlet and plug it back after 60 seconds to discharge the Soundbar form electronic glitches.

2. Once you power cycle the Soundbar, change the Soundbar to Aux and press the Play/Pause button for 7 seconds and check the status, I am positive that Soundbar will display the status(On/OFF).

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to assist you. Please click on “Contact Us” for more information on getting in touch with us.

Thank you for contacting Samsung!

Kind regards,

[name]
Email Support
SAMSUNG Customer Support Center.
Our Customer Support Team loves feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.
I replied stating this bar does not have an AUX option and requested further clarification.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I received a reply from Samsung @UnfoldingSquid but the agent mistakenly believed there is an AUX option on the N950. I guess they can't have hands-on experience with all of their products when they're this new. This is the e-mail I received today:

I replied stating this bar does not have an AUX option and requested further clarification.
I received a similar email from them. I informed them there wasn’t an Aux in my original ticket, so they told me Play/Pause would work on any input. I responded to let them know it in fact does not work which is why I submitted a suggestion to add a toggle.

Reactions: SkyYYZ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone running the xbox one x thru the soundbar having issues with the xbox saying it doesn't support HDR for games?

Running my X1X thru HDMI 1, my xbox reports that my Vizio P65-C1 does not support HDR for games. 4K bluray's like Blade Runner 2049 work fine. My tv shows HDR & Atmos, but no HDR for games.

I forgot that I had to enable "Full UHD Color" on the HDMI input that the X1X was connected to previously. When I enable it for HDMI 1 on my tv, which is the ARC input that I have the soundbar connected to, I get a black screen with no video or sound. This applies to both my xbox and apple 4K on HDMI 2.

If I bypass the soundbar and connect the xbox directly to HDMI 1 I can enable full UHD color and the xbox reports HDR for games. So this looks to be an issue with the N950.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I am replacing a Vizio S4251 B4 Soundbar (5.1 SS) connected to my LG 65 OLED B7. I have Apple 4K TV connected to HDMI 1 (not ARC) of my TV. I connected the Samsung sub first to power , then the rears and last the Soundbar and everything paired seamlessly. My rears are on Atlantic stands I bought for Vizio rears and reused the adhesive to mount them to the top. Cord is definitely not able to pass through the center pole bc both ends of the plug are too big. The rears are only 6 inches behind my couch at just above eat level. I have my LG OLED connected via the HDMI ARC and it recognized it immediately. My harmony elite remote also noticed my TV was outputting sound via ARC and volume automatically adjusted the Soundbar using TV control (Awesome). I did not perform an update on firmware. Avoiding that like the plague.

Played Atmos Demo from LG TV App and it sounds great. I have 10 foot ceilings in my apartment and I could definitely tell effects above. I would rate it a 6/10 as far as Atmos effects from demo. I did not feel as if it was always directly overhead but in the general area of my head. The entire soundstage was beautifully engulfing around me. So for overall sound stage including Atmos I would give it a 7/10 for initial setup. The sub has not been over powering at all on default setting. I have it on an isolation pad and have only turned volume up to 18 since it was late evening and I’m on third floor of apartment. I have not modified the default sound channels for each speaker btw.

So I have an Apple 4K TV connected to HDMI 1 of the LG and ARC to Soundbar and the Netflix app does not show Dolby Atmos on titles yet (I’m using TVOS 12) but the Soundbar does scroll Dolby Atmos during shows (I watched Iron Fist S2). The LG Netflix app does show Dolby Atmos symbol so maybe it’s apple TV Netflix app that needs its icons updated at the moment.

I also tested Amazon Video on LG app and it shows Dolby Vision and UHD symbol and when playing Jack Ryan Dolby Atmos displayed on the Soundbar also. The Apple 4K TV amazon video app did not show Dolby vision but does say UHD but it did not pass Dolby Atmos to Soundbar so maybe that’s another update amazon needs to pass to Apple TV.

So without doing any tuning with sound levels it sounds way better than my Vizio 5.1 I previously had connected for past 5 years. The rears only come in when the video you are playing calls for it to but I don’t notice it being quiet during Dolby Atmos movies/shows. During normal TV and YouTube TV streaming yes depending on the show. The Atmos effects are there but I wouldn’t say jaw dropping from above just noticeable. I still need to get a dedicated 4K Blu Ray player to test lossless Atmos and see if it makes a huge difference. Also want to move the rears back to 3 feet at least as recommended by Dolby but due to our limited space with my family in the apt, the wife will not allow it to be displaced that far back.

I will play with it more tomorrow and next few days and give more feedback. Turn volume up more listen to Dolby Atmos iTunes movies I own and play with channel levels. I definitely feel it was worth the upgrade so far at the 1200$ price I got it for.

1021 - 1040 of 3141 Posts