AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 3216 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yup, I pretty much did the same thing. I ended up getting a Denon AVR-X3400 with a pair of Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73 speakers (with Atmos up firing speakers) and a Polk S35 Center channel. The Denon doesn't support wireless surrounds, so instead I am using my trusty 'ol JBL WEM1 wireless transmitter/receiver to run a pair of Polk S10's for the surrounds. It's too bad you can't get the WEM1 anymore, as it works flawlessly. Overall this system's sound is really, really good.
Like you mentioned, this AVR supports all the major codecs, has eARC, passes 4K HDR & DV, HEOS and can do all the usual internet streaming apps.

I also spent about $1,700. This is pretty much the same price that B&H is asking for the N950 ($1,698).
Excellent, pitty about the rears not being wireless but otherwise excellent setup for the money - will beat the N950 anyday in sound quality and channel separation

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's funny that you got the Yamaha V685. That was my initial choice!
But I also really wanted to get the Pioneer Elite speakers as they were just the right size for the room. However, they're 4 ohms. So that, unfortunately ruled out the Yamaha AVR.
I spent a lot of time deciding betwee V685 and Denon as well as my speakers L/C/R are also 4ohms. V685 does officially support 4ohms for L/R and 6ohms for center and MartinLogan said this would be fine. Benefit of V685 (and new Yamaha receivers) is wireless surround which was a sticking point for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ended up getting MartinLogan Motion 4i for LR and 8i for center paired with Yamaha new rx-685 and its wireless rears and a Martinlogan wireless sub all for around $1700. It is pricier than N950 but now I have a system that supports almost every codec and standard that I can expad and sounds much better than a soundbar. It's my first home theater system after soundbars disappointed but I'm happy went that route.
Did you end up getting the WX-010 or WX-030? What are your thoughts on the rear wireless speakers?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you end up getting the WX-010 or WX-030? What are your thoughts on the rear wireless speakers?
Neither. The only Yamaha speakers supporting this are WX-021 and WX-051 which will ship starting August. It's a shame because WX-010 is so cheap now! I guess every company knows how to milk our pockets lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Hi, I am too fed waiting for N950, how is Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2Ch , anyone has any suggestions on this one?
apparently great for DTS-X, but no support for Dolby Atmos. If you dont care i bet its good. I was thinking the same.

·
Registered
167 Posts
apparently great for DTS-X, but no support for Dolby Atmos. If you dont care i bet its good. I was thinking the same.
Hi, I am too fed waiting for N950, how is Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2Ch , anyone has any suggestions on this one?
I understand the frustration but Atmos is too good to pass up. If you guys are into UHD, strongly suggest to have a little patience and wait for N950. I own K950 waiting for the N950 for its extra speakers and DTS:X support. Despite its limitations K950 is one hell of set for Atmos & Dolby HD tracks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Vizio's 5.1.4 Atmos system is suppose to be available "late summer". https://www.vizio.com/dolby-atmos

The more options, IMO, the better. There is no must have sound bar at the moment. They all have their flaws.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got to be getting close to being released. First little review from Australia.
I tried to post the same in the morning but I guess I don't have enough posts to post external link. I wish the reviewer checked the DTS:X track playability out of the box. All the titles they tested are Atmos tracks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I tried to post the same in the morning but I guess I don't have enough posts to post external link. I wish the reviewer checked the DTS:X track playability out of the box. All the titles they tested are Atmos tracks.
She did say this: Part of this experience includes being both Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X compatible. It also has 4K passthrough and 32 bit upscaling. Upscaling, like with TVs, is always an important factor for me. If you're dropping several thousand dollars on an audio setup, you want everything to sound good — not just the media that has been optimised for it.", but I do not know if she took that from a press release.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's nice to have great Dolby Atmos but most of the content is either Stereo or 5.1 so it will important to have an overall good sound quality too. For instance, the ST-5000 is bad for Atmos effects but quite good for music. How will the N950 perform compare to it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's nice to have great Dolby Atmos but most of the content is either Stereo or 5.1 so it will important to have an overall good sound quality too. For instance, the ST-5000 is bad for Atmos effects but quite good for music. How will the N950 perform compare to it?
I agree. ATMOS is what we want, but it also has to have quality 5.1 output because that is what the majority of people listen to on a day to day basis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do we have any knowledge at this point if the N950 will support lossy Atmos over HDMI ARC? Now that DTS:X is confirmed, that's the biggest factor for me when deciding to get a HW-K950 now on sale or wait for the HW-N950....

141 - 160 of 3216 Posts