AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 3216 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's nice to have great Dolby Atmos but most of the content is either Stereo or 5.1 so it will important to have an overall good sound quality too. For instance, the ST-5000 is bad for Atmos effects but quite good for music. How will the N950 perform compare to it?
I agree. ATMOS is what we want, but it also has to have quality 5.1 output because that is what the majority of people listen to on a day to day basis.
K950 is excellent with Atmos, 5.1/7.1 and stereo. Even the DTS 5.1 they added via FW is pretty great. If this new one replicates the same quality plus two extra speakers and DTS:X, we are in good hands w.r.t sound.

·
Registered
525 Posts
K950 is excellent with Atmos, 5.1/7.1 and stereo. Even the DTS 5.1 they added via FW is pretty great. If this new one replicates the same quality plus two extra speakers and DTS:X, we are in good hands w.r.t sound.
I will consider the N950 if it allows ATMOS over ARC. The K950 did not allow it so I am not expecting the N950 to either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will consider the N950 if it allows ATMOS over ARC. The K950 did not allow it so I am not expecting the N950 to either.
Yeah in the same boat with LG E6 but I don't think ATMOS over ARC can be supported in N950 alone. As far I know ARC doesn't have capability/bandwidth to stream full-resolution sound signals like Atmos and DTS-X back to the sound bar. I think ARC dumbs down these signals to two-channel audio. However, there is a new "eARC" specification coming soon which can stream lossless Atmos and DTS-X to the soundbar. So, for now, we need to choose between Dolby atmos and Dolby vision.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah in the same boat with LG E6 but I don't think ATMOS over ARC can be supported in N950 alone. As far I know ARC doesn't have capability/bandwidth to stream full-resolution sound signals like Atmos and DTS-X back to the sound bar. I think ARC dumbs down these signals to two-channel audio. However, there is a new "eARC" specification coming soon which can stream lossless Atmos and DTS-X to the soundbar. So, for now, we need to choose between Dolby atmos and Dolby vision.
The LG 7 & 8 series will deliver Atmos data over ARC, however the audio stream will be lossy Dolby Digital + as opposed to lossless Dolby TrueHD. Still get ATMOS though, just not with Samsung bars. Maybe that will change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I understand ATMOS over ARC technically could be supported today without eARC using lossy Atmos delivered using DD+ rather than TrueHD (lossless ATMOS). Other soundbars on the market today do that already.

But looking at the manual that was posted a few days ago it's fairly clear that ATMOS over ARC in any form isn't going to be supported on the N950. This makes me seriously consider buying a cheap K950 as the other features on N950 (side speakers, DTS:X, voice control, SmartThings integration, etc.) while nice to have aren't worth the extra cost for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
From what I understand ATMOS over ARC technically could be supported today without eARC using lossy Atmos delivered using DD+ rather than TrueHD (lossless ATMOS). Other soundbars on the market today do that already.

But looking at the manual that was posted a few days ago it's fairly clear that ATMOS over ARC in any form isn't going to be supported on the N950. This makes me seriously consider buying a cheap K950 as the other features on N950 (side speakers, DTS:X, voice control, SmartThings integration, etc.) while nice to have aren't worth the extra cost for me.
Can you explain your reasoning why you think its "fairly clear" ATMOS over ARC is not supported?
Is it because they dont show an option of Page 15 to connect your BP, Roku etc to TV, then TV through ARC to soundbar? I dont see anything in the manual that says "no this wont output ATMOS". I think again you are jumping the gun, just because something is not shown as the "preferred" way to connect, doesnt mean it would not. I am being optimistic though :)
If it will pass DD+ then that means ATMOS since DD+ has ATMOS extensions. If its lossless or not is another story.

·
Registered
494 Posts
BREAKING: According to B&H, it is expected (hopefully) to be available for purchase on September 3rd, 2018

Reactions: ivallt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
BREAKING: According to B&H, it is expected (hopefully) to be available for purchase on September 3rd, 2018
Also looks like HW-k950 is on sale at Best buy for $999...so seems like its coming soon to replace it.

Reactions: Zoland2020

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There we go again...if we want DV and Atmos in the N950 we will need to buy a Vertex from HD Fury...

or get a UHD player that outputs DV, connect hdmi1 to your TV and hdmi2 to the soundbar

and why does this new soundbar, for the price it'll be sold at, only have two HDMI inputs ? it's 2018 for Christ Sake

·
Registered
65 Posts
or get a UHD player that outputs DV, connect hdmi1 to your TV and hdmi2 to the soundbar

and why does this new soundbar, for the price it'll be sold at, only have two HDMI inputs ? it's 2018 for Christ Sake
it comes down to the size of the mainboard I guess, more inputs take-up more space. the only soundbar that I can find with a decent number of inputs is the yamaha ysp 5600, which also happens to be one of the largest soundbars in existence

now, other manufacturers look at the ysp-5600 and say: "well that's a damn nice soundbar but it doesn't sell well" - why? because its so damn big. This is why even though the n950 is the top of the line bar from Samsung, it's still very average or even "small" for it's size and this is intended, because people who buy soundbars often have issues with space.

so that's what it comes down to, more inputs means the soundbar would be bigger which potentially means lower sales

·
Registered
50 Posts

Can you explain your reasoning why you think its "fairly clear" ATMOS over ARC is not supported?
Is it because they dont show an option of Page 15 to connect your BP, Roku etc to TV, then TV through ARC to soundbar? I dont see anything in the manual that says "no this wont output ATMOS". I think again you are jumping the gun, just because something is not shown as the "preferred" way to connect, doesnt mean it would not. I am being optimistic though /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
If it will pass DD+ then that means ATMOS since DD+ has ATMOS extensions. If its lossless or not is another story.
I'm with you in that I'm hoping they support Atmos over DD+ on the ARC port. I'm not jumping the gun, just making my best guess based on the information presented.....I could be wrong.

However I think we'll be disappointed in this area. Why? I compared the manual for the HW-K950 with the N950 manual. Both are very similarly structured and call out that Atmos is only supported in HDMI modes. The only hope is if they somehow consider the HDMI ARC port as an "HDMI mode". But I'm 90% sure I'm right which sucks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well this sucks ...awaiting the new Vizio
Yes, me too. I knew the k950 did could not do ATMOS over arc but was hoping the n950 would. For the money they will want for it, it should.

Vizio said "late summer" so hopefully that means sometime this month and not September.

161 - 180 of 3216 Posts