AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light engine in my HLN507 (v209 4/03) was replaced yesterday after complaints of a dead pixel OOTB and severe internal reflections. I waited 2 months for the repair but the wait has paid off. Though not entirely gone, I am pleased to report that the new engine significantly reduced the internal reflections. However, on initial viewing, it appears that I have sacrificed a bit of PQ, but the trade off is worth it to me. I must add that Samsung customer service has been awesome and has really gone the extra mile to make customers happy and resolve this issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a brilliant, almost 3 dimensional look to some of my better quality DVD's (via HD931 DVI) that does not seem to be there now. The PQ is still great but that extra 'WOW' factor has disappeared. It's hard to explain but those who have experienced it know the feeling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How is your alignment and focus? I would check to make sure there is no screen tilt and put some text on screen to check the focus. I recently had a light engine change and am going through problems with both of these issues. The tilt has been fixed, but one portion of the screen has soft focus. A windows desktop through DVI really highlights the problem.

- Sean

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean,

Thanks for the advice. I did have to adjust the horizontal and vertical image positions using the new DVE disc test pattern. I noticed that the image was slightly tilted but not enough to matter however, I'd like to be able to adjust focus. Do you know how?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What do you mean exactly by "light engine"? I have complained to sears service about the internal reflection issue I have been experiencing. The SEARS tech spoke to a SAMSUNG service rep. and was told that ALL current samsung models suffer from this and wther they saw it was a function of the viewers light sensitivity and of and the ambient light of the room. The SEARS serviceman told me that there was a fix that would reduce the problem by 80%. The next day, a new lens assembly was waiting on my doorstep. I'm now waiting for them to install it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The light engine is the thing on your doorstep, AKA the lens assembly. It's the lamp, DMD chip, lens and color wheel in one unit. It's a simple swap for an experienced tech; pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I guess the longer one waits to purchase a Sammy DLP, the better the chance of getting an updated "light engine" from the factory direct plus updated firmware.

I am so ready to take the plunge on a 507 but a little voice inside me keeps saying "wait a little longer"! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davige
The light engine in my HLN507 (v209 4/03) was replaced yesterday after complaints of a dead pixel OOTB and severe internal reflections. I waited 2 months for the repair but the wait has paid off. Though not entirely gone, I am pleased to report that the new engine significantly reduced the internal reflections. However, on initial viewing, it appears that I have sacrificed a bit of PQ, but the trade off is worth it to me. I must add that Samsung customer service has been awesome and has really gone the extra mile to make customers happy and resolve this issue.
I just had the projector assembly, digital board and power supply replaced the other day in my HLM 507W (now a 7/12/03 302 board), and noticed similar PQ issues, which went away by going into the service menu and changing the Gamma from 4 to 0, as others have suggested. It made a huge difference in the Grayscale ramps (no blown out whites) and better overall PQ (no compression artifacts). Also I noted that the tech had instructions from Samsung to change some of the settings from the new board to match the old board ( Fan number should be 2 on 43" and 50", Delay should match previous board (223 on mine), and lamp should match new bulb (Tosh/ Phil for 50").

I also ran DVE on it and netted out with Warm 2 for component 2 (480P DVD) (warm 1 for Comp 3 HD) but identical settings as follows...Cont 100, Brit 53, Sharp 0, Color 72 (which seems high but that's where it netted out)...note I have a RF variable attenuator on the DVD component Red Cable (Radioshack part # 15-678) that balances out the red push on my Panasonic RP56 player (using the color decoder pattern on AVIA)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bought the HLN 50". I absolutely love it. I was wondering if the light engine would be upgradable. If so, how do I go about this? I understand that a service tech will need to do the work, but do I need to complain about a problem before they will upgrade or can I just request the upgrade at no cost?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt that a 'request' will get you anywhere. You need to demand that a problem be fixed. Hardware upgrades are usually not free. The squeaky wheel gets oiled. But, it sounds to me like you don't have the problem if you 'absolutely love' the set. You may already have the newest engine and if everything looks great to you, 'don't fix it if it ain't broke'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Davige,

Thanks for the reply. I'm refering to the new engine that includes the hd2+. This, from what I've read, will be available early next year. Just trying to make sure I don't regret purchasing now with the "improvements" jsut around the corner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want the HD2+ chip, I'd return your current set and wait. I wouldn't count on Samsung offering that upgrade to current users, but stranger things have happened. With technology moving so fast, I'm sure that they reach a point where an upgrade is out of the question and if you want it that bad, you sell your old unit and buy a new one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by texasflyangler
Davige,

Thanks for the reply. I'm refering to the new engine that includes the hd2+. This, from what I've read, will be available early next year. Just trying to make sure I don't regret purchasing now with the "improvements" jsut around the corner.
The HD2+ equiped sets MIGHT come out next year, there is no certainty. But to me the more exciting news is that there will be a POSSIBLE 7 inch depth RPTV from them using a new optical engine plus screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:) :) :) update: The package that I had on my doorstep only included the lens. Prior to receiving the lens assy. from SEARS, I called the service company originally recommended by samsung. They told me that they had a new entire light engine to install in my set. I gave them a chance and they stopped by today. First, he tried a new lens, which SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED IR! I asked him if it would get any better if he changed the whole thing. He installed another whole light engine (sealed in grey plastic). This resulted in poorer IR than the original light engine. All said and done, I have my original light engine with a new lens. I can honestly say that IR is nolonger a concern. I have looked at the default windows xp screensaver and can happily say that IR (top left to bottom right) is barely noticible ( even if you want to see it.) :) :) :)

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I've had my HLN507W since the end of May. I have noticed that the IR problem is not as bad as it use to be. I have around 400 hours on the lamp. Could part of the IR problem initially (but not completely) be due to the brightness of the lamp?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just want to back up the truck a minute so please pardon my vulgar display of ignorance.

Searstvguy: are you saying that your light engine lens was updated (meaning with a newly redesigned lens) or are you saying that the lens was simply replaced because the original one in the unit was flawed to begin with?

I don't want to get too happy without clarifying this. As usual, Samsung has no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned this. Thanks.

Greg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.