AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please! Our 60" Samsung Plasma has a display issue that cannot be repaired :( and we are moving to a 4K TV. Debating between the Sony XBR-X850B and the Samsung JU7100 (unless we should be considering the Samsung 8550 for some reason). Looking for feedback on pro's & con's. We have DirecTV, and I've heard that Sony does not play well with Direct? We also have a Samsung Bluetooth soundbar that I'm not sure will work with the Sony either. We are not gamers, and primarily watch sports and network TV on our set with an occasional movie. We definitely want the best picture quality possible, but also want our equipment to work nicely together don't want multiple remotes in order to operate everything.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Help please! Our 60" Samsung Plasma has a display issue that cannot be repaired :( and we are moving to a 4K TV. Debating between the Sony XBR-X850B and the Samsung JU7100 (unless we should be considering the Samsung 8550 for some reason). Looking for feedback on pro's & con's. We have DirecTV, and I've heard that Sony does not play well with Direct? We also have a Samsung Bluetooth soundbar that I'm not sure will work with the Sony either. We are not gamers, and primarily watch sports and network TV on our set with an occasional movie. We definitely want the best picture quality possible, but also want our equipment to work nicely together don't want multiple remotes in order to operate everything.

I liked the Sony 900 but wasn't too impressed with the 850 after seeing the 900. I had a JU7100 for a short period and exchanged it for a JS9000. I'd probably recommend going with the JU7100 if your viewing angle is straight on for the most part. It's a really nice picture straight on but from what I've read it will not support HDR, that's only for the JS range.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts

is your plasma under warranty and giving you a credit towards another tv? what is your budget?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I walked into BestBuy last night and was told they had 1 x850B (55") left in my area and purchased it even though I had been going there for the JU7100. The employee there was VERY helpful and in his opinion (did not make try to convince me), said the Sony x850B had the better picture quality than the JU7100 (not the JU8 or JU9 series). The other factor was that the x850B is $1499 vs $1799.

I am so conflicted on this and there's really only one decent review of the 7100 right now and Amazon reviews have suddenly turned towards a downward trend recently for this model.

I'll be going back to BestBuy after work today to just finalize my decision on it and still leaning towards Samsung (so cancelling order) but just because its 2015 the talk of 4k BluRay and the standard in 2017 or whatever will require a tv with better core components than the 2014s....making 7100 more comforting since I can supposedly upgrade the OCB Mini. Again though, I want the better tv and overall PQ is huge.

Please keep replying if you have either model or BOTH to help make my decision and OP's a little easier/more informative.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have the 65 inch 7100. Before I got it, I looked at the 850B and the Samsung 8550 (last year's 7100 basically) but ended up waiting on the 7100. And FWIW, the guys at various Best Buys kept trying to sell me either one -- something tells me they wanted to get rid of the older models before the new ones came in. But who knows?

Early reviews (not amazon reviews) seem to prefer the 7100 when it comes to picture quality. Once I did all the software updates and tweaked with the picture settings (out of the box is soap opera effect city)... well, I'm pretty damn happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, for the record my set-up is:

Direct TV (Genie)

Zvox sound bar connected via optical.

Bought it at Paul's TV and had them set it up and program my direct tv remote so it would control TV, DTV, sound bar. Took them a little while because the TV is so new, but they figured it out.

Also, out of the box, you need to connect the tv to the internet via ethernet. The wi-fi does not work until you do a software update.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Have been trying to research early this morning...

Some possible drawbacks of Sony but not sure:

• Motion XR240 is less than the X850A version prior.
  • IPS panel so contrast is not as good as Samsung.

Positives:

• Triluminous provides higher range of color.
  • Wider viewing angle since its an IPS.
  • Better 4K Upscaling with X-Reality. How much better? Need to quantify

The big factors to me include:

Overall Picture Quality
  • Color - Sony? What about Sasmung PurColor?
  • Contrast - Samsung?
  • 4k Upscaling - Sony
  • Motion - ???

Which one has better motion capability (less judders)?

Also wish 2014 Sony had the Android OS

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
I had the xbr 850b for 2 weeks, motion was horrible. There was motion orbs around objects on everything I watch. The ju7100 wins this area by far. Motionflow 240 is junk. 2015 sonys will be alot better but will cost more at launch.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

If was me I go with 7100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the discussion and feedback so far! Heading back to Best Buy today to try to make a final decision. I have been told the Sony remote will not program with my directv genie box. Does anyone know if that is true? I supposed I could go out and purchase a universal to run everything, but would prefer not to....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so we went with the 7100 and it's here! Any tips on getting our Bluetooth sound bar set up? Can't figure out how to add it as a device. Are sound share and sound connect compatible?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts