AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a warranty replacement on my Samsung 51" plasma, and trying to decide between a KS9000 and a KS800D. I'm waiting to hear on what they will give me to the replacement but I'm thinking it will cover the Series 8 but i'll be paying extra for the Series 9.

Anyway looking for some help on the differences. Here is what I see:

Some sound / speaker improvements, and I dont care. I'm on my home theater.

UHD Dimming vs Supreme UHD Dimming
MR 240 vs Supreme MR 240

I do like the bezel of the 9 series better.. but that's NOT worht $500 :)

That's all I see.

Can explain what the real differences are with "Supreme" MR 240/UHD Dimming? In the store they aren't close enough for a side by side viewing, and I clearly tapped the salesman's knowledge with my barrage of tech questions.
Has anyone seen them side by side? is it worth the difference? (That's not a subjective question is it :))
How does the dimming compare to true OLED? I hear Samsung developed OLE first for phones and tablets before abandoning it. Is this true? I also hear they have no plans to put out an OLED TV?

The cost difference is about $500 and I am (as usual) agonizing a bit. I'm a believer in buying quality to the point of diminishing returns..... that's not a subjective mark in the sand either is it?? :) I just can't afford OLED. It looked impressive in the store but the dark sections of the screen were VERY dark. Either the particular display video loop they were running wasn't great or i think the detail on the Samsungs was better, oh be it lighter, int he dark areas.

Anyway.. looking for any help or insight out there. Thanks to all in advance!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump, looking for some help.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
bump, looking for some help.

All KS except the KS9800 are edge lit with pseudo dimming . The KS9800 is Full array with local dimming.

Those dimming fancy words are for marketing purpose.

All KS except the KS9800 have large zones at the bottom of the display. Samsung did a wrong move by removing the cinema black option and moving the leds to the bottom edge.

If you watch tv in a bright enviroment then the edgelit is a ok choice.

If you watch tv in a dark enviroment then I reccomend to move to the fald version.

A bias light is a good solution for edgelit in a dark enviroment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts