AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone, I've been exploring this site since I first found it about 3 months ago and it has proven to be quite useful for my many questions. I didn't even try to calibrate my TV (that I've had for about 4 years now) until fairly recently lol. 

Anyhow, I bought my TV a few years back while I was working in an electronics store. It was an open box/display that I managed to make a deal with my managers for. Like I mentioned previously, it wasn't until about 2 or 3 months ago that I stumbled across an AVS forum, via Google, that went into great detail about people who had calibrated their Samsung's to get rid of the darkness in the picture. Of course I followed some of their advice, and even the calibrations they were using-- which helped a bunch, but of course as I found out later, calibration is pretty much different for everybody, every room, etc.. Either way there were still some pretty significant improvements I found in doing this. 

However, I still have a lot of issues, mainly with lighting. I primarily use my tv for gaming (PS3/PS4), and usually during the evening/night time as I'm winding down. When I play pretty much any game and it asks you to set the lighting levels in the beginning (move the bar until whatever the picture is of; is barely visible), nothing I do seems to make the picture right! Even when I have it set the way it's describing it to be, game play is very difficult. Anytime you go into darkness, or if there's shadowing, it becomes almost impossible to see. But then when you go into a lighted area, it's like the color is washing out and becoming dim as if there is too much brightness. I play Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed IV Black Flag, and it really affects both of them, especially in BF4 when there is a guy 5ft in front of me but I don't see him because of the darkness and then I die a very embarrassing death (unfortunately this happens often -_-). 

So now I'm to the point where I want to just calibrate the TV myself, but I don't know what software I should use. I'm not making a lot of money right now, so I can't really afford to buy anything that will do it for me (stupid bills). I'm hoping I can get a few suggestions about some free software that I can download/install to a DVD or Blu-ray and take care of it myself as best I can until I can afford better. 

I don't know what/if any additional info is required other than maybe the make and model:

Make: Samsung

Model: LN46B650T1FXZA

Version: SS02  

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2009/04/28/ln46b650t1fxza/LN46B650_spec.pdf

And like I said before, I'm usually on at night so no sun glares are coming in. It's a 46" LCD, about 20" off the floor, I sit on my bed across from it; also about 20" off the floor, my room is however relatively small, about 12' x 10' 

I'm also still fairly new to this, so I may not catch some of the 'lingo'. I will most likely have to Google any and every acronym I see lol. 

Thanks!

-Randi 

·
Registered
229 Posts

First make sure your Playstation settings match with your TV (like the black level and color space).

If that doesn't do the trick, try matching the game brightness with the TV brightness if following the "barely visible" parameters don't work. If your Samsung is set to 45 for instance you do 45/100 = .45 

You take .45 and multiply it with the maximum brightness setting on the game. So say you play COD Black Ops which has maximum brightness of 20.

It would be .45 x 20 = 9

Then you take the game's max brightness and subtract it with your last calculation.

20 - 9 = 11

So 11 should work out fine for that particular game. Ofcourse, there are games like Forza that already have good parameters to follow. But try this formula when the barely visible doesn't work.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like you have Playstation set to RGB FULL (under display settings) and the tv is expecting limited. RGB Full is only there for compatibility with pc monitors which expect RGB Full (0-255). This is unlike TV sets which are made for broadcast tv and therefore chained to video (16-235). But don't worry as you don't sacrifice anything by choosing Limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixe  /t/1520337/samsung-lcd-calibration-questions#post_24496882

Sounds like you have Playstation set to RGB FULL (under display settings) and the tv is expecting limited. RGB Full is only there for compatibility with pc monitors which expect RGB Full (0-255). This is unlike TV sets which are made for broadcast tv and therefore chained to video (16-235). But don't worry as you don't sacrifice anything by choosing Limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forget my formula. That's BS. If what I quoted doesn't work than do this:

Change the HDMI Black Level of your TV (makes sure it matches with the PS). On my Xbox 360, Black Ops 1 and 2, and GTA 5 brightness parameters only work when I switch my TV's black level to dark. If I play on the light setting which I calibrated the TV with, then everything appears washed out.  

So to repeat, I had to switch the TV's black level from light to dark, then the barely visible parameter actually worked! The only annoying thing is you have to switch back and forth depending on the games. Hopefully, most of them were calibrated with standard or light black level, like Forza or Gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts