AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 52" Sammy in my living room (w/o any sort of control connection) and looking to purchase a MBR TV and as I start to get into Home Automation Im searching for a TV that can be controlled (RS-232 or Ethernet).


Does anyone know if you can control the TV with a PC through the LAN port on the Samsung LCDs? I know the ToC LCDs have the LAN port for the RSS feeds, and am curious to know if I could also use the port for automation purposes (turn TV on/off, change input, etc.). I currently have a email in to Samsung tech (about 3 days ago, with no response yet) so I figured I would check and see if anyone knows...


Id certainly like to stay with Sammy in the BR, but if it cant be controlled via an automated system, I may look at the LGs since they do have RS-232 ports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
The ethernet port may just be an interface to feed certain content as it is not a smart device in and of itself and may not provide dynamic control beyond feeding certain source material.


The RS232 is designed specifically to provide automated control. You may also want to check the HTPC threads to confirm. I'm not saying it's not possible but that because a port exists doesn't mean it's a smart device connection providing dynamic controls over the panel itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/15471794


The ethernet port may just be an interface to feed certain content as it is not a smart device in and of itself and may not provide dynamic control beyond feeding certain source material.


The RS232 is designed specifically to provide automated control. You may also want to check the HTPC threads to confirm. I'm not saying it's not possible but that because a port exists doesn't mean it's a smart device connection providing dynamic controls over the panel itself.

Right - I certainly understand what you are saying from a design perspective on their part, but I know its 100% possible for them to have also used the LAN port for control - if they wanted to.


Im not in a RUSH to go out and buy one this weekend or anything, so I'll see if I can wait long enough to get a proven answer either from here, or back from Samsung before I make a purchase.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Nope, can't think of one TV out there that will let you control the TV through the LAN port, and frankly, I don't know why they would put such a impractical feature in the system, you will need a special program to send the signal, input the settings such as which IP you're going to send it to, etc. For debugging purpose and stuff, yes...real usage, can't think of any reason -- it is that much faster to locate the remote and shut off the TV.


You know already the LAN is very limited so don't need to point that out. Yes, it could be possible but why? Stuff like this increase the cost of production. What type of automated system are you looking for exactly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 /forum/post/15474100


Nope, can't think of one TV out there that will let you control the TV through the LAN port, and frankly, I don't know why they would put such a impractical feature in the system, you will need a special program to send the signal, input the settings such as which IP you're going to send it to, etc. For debugging purpose and stuff, yes...real usage, can't think of any reason -- it is that much faster to locate the remote and shut off the TV.


You know already the LAN is very limited so don't need to point that out. Yes, it could be possible but why? Stuff like this increase the cost of production.

Why not?


For home automation purposes as said - for integrating my TV with a home automation server and tablet device as a remote - when I press "watch a DVD" or whatever other activity - for the tablet to have the ability to check the status of the device first, find out if its turned on already or not and send a command to the TV to turn on the device - over the LAN or other connection. Sure a Logitech (or other inexpensive universal remote) based remote can do this, but I am also wanting a system that can integrate my lighting, HVAC, alarm, and sprinkler system, possibly running CQC software to control said things.


When I disarm my alarm panel as I walk into my house, specific lights are turned on, the TV automatically turns on and is set to a specific channel, and so does my AVR along with its volume being adjusted to a preset level. When I go to bed at night I can create a "GOODNIGHT" button that turns the TV and other electronics off, turns off selected lighting, sets any selected ambient lighting I desire, sets the thermostat to a specific temperature and arms the alarm system. I could go on and on with practically an infinite uses of Home Automation where a larger system is used to control the TV and other devices.


A standard IR based remote cant do any of this based on a "disarm" command from a alarm panel (they are manual user input driven) or a "goodnight" command to do above said controls. So why would I want to go locate the remote to the TV to turn it off, walk around the house to find what lights are on and off, check the thermostat and set it, arm the alarm system when I can have it all done by a single press of a button?


The same manufacturers put RS-232 ports on the back of TVs for control purposes for exactly the reasons Im stating, but for whatever reason Samsung decided they werent going to offer the RS-232 port any longer, thus eliminating the control through their panels. I figured with the new addition of the LAN port that they may had been smart enough to had integrated it with some additional features. However, it's certainly possibly that they did not. I am simply wanting to find out before I purchase a second Samsung TV, because I can certainly get an LG that can, but as said, I already have a Samsung in my living room, and would prefer to keep the displays from the same manufacturer.


No need to question my purposes, as they certainly may not the same as yours. Obviously someone has bring these questions to the table, or we wont continue to have better devices. Why did Ethernet ports get put on a PC in the first place? Apparently 56k modems weren't the answer, and it seems that the "stuff like this increase the cost of production" seems to benefit everyone pretty well.


Its a simple question, can it be controlled via LAN or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Uh? Already answered you it. No on the LAN.


You'll be hardpress to find a lot of people who will find use in such a functionality. Not exactly a good comparison with 56k.


You're most likely not going to find a panel that will support control via LAN in the near future. RS-232 looks like your best bet as of right now.


I do thank you for educating me on what the RS-232 can do. To be honest, I thought that was where sometimes they choose to hide the service menu settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
In the control system world, old school protocol is the RS-232 but its slowly moving towards the RJ-45 (TCP-IP/LAN). Most of the projectors will have it. Some of LCDs like the Sharp has the RS-232.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 /forum/post/15475691


Uh? Already answered you it. No on the LAN.


You'll be hardpress to find a lot of people who will find use in such a functionality. Not exactly a good comparison with 56k.


You're most likely not going to find a panel that will support control via LAN in the near future. RS-232 looks like your best bet as of right now.


I do thank you for educating me on what the RS-232 can do. To be honest, I thought that was where sometimes they choose to hide the service menu settings.

I finally got an email response back from Samsung this afternoon. However, it only stated that my question needed to be answered via phone from their Customer Service department. I was told what you already did, and that is NO, it is not a current capability of their TV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I recently began working with a friend of mine, installing all kinds of cool toys I have never seen. This is odd because I am very tech savvy, or at the least attempt to be. On to why I am digging this old thread out for my first post, I searched before posting and this thread is 3 years old, I want to know if the answer is still the same?


I recently installed a few of the new 6k series samsung led TV's. The have LAN ports, and can you can surf the web on them. That means these tv's have the standard I.P. protocols built in, and therefore have the ability to be controlled with an I.P. system, whether or not Samsung made it possible to control it is a different story. Are they controllable over the LAN port now?


I agree with O.P., I.P. control systems are the way to go, and these TV's should play nice. I have never setup or installed a I.P. system, but see the advantages.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top