AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I exchanged my 'A' panel LN46A550 (version AA02) and got a 'S' panel one (version SX04). Comparing to the previous 'A' panel one, picture on the 'S' panel one looks even worse, it seems backlight is not bright enough.

I called Samsung for service. A technician from Samsung authorized service center in my area came, and he did some brightness/contrast adjustments, which didn't make much improvement. He was surprised by my TV's bad viewing angle. He said that Samsung TVs he saw before, had very good viewing angle, almost no color change with viewing angle.

I understand that every LCD panel can be different from another, uniformity, color, brightness, backlight bleeding/flashing ..., just like old analog CRTs. But how come viewing angle can be that different.

I might just got two lemons, but I think the possibility is quite low. While LCD TV price dropping, they must have lowered panel quality.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with you ZHX. I had an a panel too, and when heard about all this A, C, S panel stuff, i quickly exchanged mine for a "S" - (SX04), and i'm not happy with the viewing angle either. I don't really remember what the "A" panel looked like in comparison to the "S"...but i do remember that it DID look good. My TV now looks good only at dead center viewing, even 10 degreees off, and the colors change and contrast goes down. So, what did the technician say he can do? Did he charge you? Any chance they can put a new panel in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can speculate that this is due to the ramp up of the next generation 8G fab by Samsung in 2008. New fab technology often implies different panel characteristics for various reasons. Normally you wouldn't expect a big decline in performance but it is possible.

Up to 2008 Samsung concentrated 40" and 46" panels in high volume in its 7G fabs in a optimized process ramped up and improved over several years.

Then in 2008 started ramping its 8G fab (presumably with 46" and higher panels) and at the same time backfilled its 7G fabs with smaller 32" panels which it was previously buying from outside sources (Taiwan).

So you can speculate that economic reasons, and Samsung's desires for efficient fab utilization may have resulted in lower quality 46" panels being produced in their 8G fab due the learning curve associated with the new fab technology and Samsung's desire to quickly shift production to the 8G fab.

You can find plenty of support for this reasoning when googling. For example this link from 2007 from a Asian LCD market research company:

http://www.fpdisplay.com/News_Info/S...0920_12349.htm

Quote:
S-LCD 8G line to boost TV panel shipments

S-LCD, a joint venture between Samsung Electronics and Sony, in August announced shipping of LCD panels from its 8G line. S-LCD's 8G line is capable of processing glass substrates, measuring 2,200¡

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15559773

So, what did the technician say he can do? Did he charge you? Any chance they can put a new panel in?

The technician said the panel could be better, but it was not defective. So, unless I exchange it, I won't get a new panel. But in case Samsung's panel quality is going down, what can I expect.

That guy runs an authorized service centre in my area, servicing brands like Samsung, Sony, Sharp... He didn't charge me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think viewing angle will be that much different unless it is a completely different panel model.

Panel lottos are unfortunately very common in the industry, where the same model of TV/Monitor will ship with completely different internal panel modules often from different manufacturers and even of completely different types. Which is a joke because panel module is almost everything to the screen. If it has a different panel module, it should have a different Model number.

The manufacturers consider these "equivalents" but of course they are not and somehow the reviewers always end up with the best panels.

I own an "A" panel Samsung LN37A530. It has the described characteristics. Looks good only dead center in the sweet spot (or 15 degrees off that). Stand up and color/contrast washes out.

Contrast and blacks are nothing to write home about either. I measured ANSI contrast of 1600 set up for maximum contrast, it would be less than that once tweaked for a good picture. Minimum black was 0.127 cd/m2. Black bars are not black but distracting dark gray.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidryp /forum/post/15560496

I don't think viewing angle will be that much different unless it is a completely different panel model.

Yes, that was also my speculation. I didn't get a lemon, but something changed in panel manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidryp /forum/post/15560496

I measured ANSI contrast of 1600 set up for maximum contrast, it would be less than that once tweaked for a good picture. Minimum black was 0.127 cd/m2. Black bars are not black but distracting dark gray.

Just curious, is there any way to measure contrast/brightnesss at home?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a eye1 calibration device (came with my NEC 2490) and my LCD is attached to my computer. I don't know of a way to measure without a calibration device.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went and bought a new Samsung LN46A530 today because the one i have at home has a bad viewing angle. I bought a brand new one to bring home and set them up side by side to see which one is good, and return the other one. I opened the box and got a "A" panel. To my surprise when i hooked it up, there was major problems witht he panel. Teh middle of the screen had HEAVY CLOUDING/BLEEDING. It was horrible. I packed it up and returned it right away. I think i'll bite the bulet and keep the "S" panel with bad viewing angle.

·
Registered
538 Posts
if you can return it and you are not satisfied, do not keep it.. instead either wait for a deal on something else or until newer models come out this spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts