AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at many monitors, I finally decided on the new 26" Samsung LCD. (R268W) It has a gorgeous picture, 3000:1 contrast ratio and 1360x768 resolution.

Tested the set in the store, but they only had PCs. Everything looked *great* coming from the PC -- text was sharp and the screen sized properly. However after purchasing it and connecting it to my G5, it looks AWFUL. Text is jagged and blurry, though photos and movies still do look great. Tried everything I can think of (adjusted font smoothing, which had no effect and even tried non-native resolutions.)

And btw, this is using the VGA input, which is the only one that would even display in the proper 1360x768 resolution! Using the HDMI input (also via the DVI out on my G5) only gave a picture of I believe 1280x720. Tried using SwitchResX to provide the proper resolution, but when I selected it the screen went blank.

PLEASE HELP! I would love to use this beautiful monitor and I have no idea why it would look perfect with a PC but not with a Mac!... :-(

Thank you,

Josh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try buying a higher quality VGA cable. It makes sense, because I'm guessing you used a different cable in the store than the one you're using now. I have the 23" version of the LCD you have, and I say keep trying, it's well worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mike1123 -- Are you using your monitor via the VGA or HDMI connection? Also, do you have the newer version of the 23" (LN-R238W) or the previous model (LT-P227W) which had DVI instead of HDMI and a 1280x720 resolution? I'm wondering if the latter might be more "Mac compatible" as I know we're definitely offered that resolution via DVI. In any event, I will try getting a new VGA cable, and keep my fingers crossed... Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
try displayconfigx -

no problems even with with 1366x768 and my 37" -its the powerstrip for the mac

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, mine -- are you using your DVI out to go to the HDMI or VGA port on your monitor? I looked at DisplayConfigX, but it seemed very complicated. Are there any special settings I need to be aware of, or am I able to just type in 1360x768 and 60Hz and the app will figure out the rest?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.