AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I just bought a un55fh6003 TV and whenever I use Auto Motion Plus on the blacks it makes a white kind of flicker. When I hook my PC to my TV and I have it on the whole background flickers when I turn it off it goes away. Also theres usually tons of little glitches (almost like artifacts) when I browse on my PC unless I turn on Dynamic Contrast to High. Just wondering if this is normal or if I have a bad set I have 15 days to bring it back and would like to make sure.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Not normal on any of my 5 sets

if the sources are OK I would look at a different set. although the un55fh6003 should be a pretty good set .

Try some of this clean video in your computer browser .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJdPyoqt8U

Be sure to set the You tube video quality on either 1080p or 2160p

you ofc will see compression macro blocking in the darker backgrounds but not

on the main focus of the video it's a good video (short of a Blue Ray ) to test your set for picture detail.

Mpeg compression artifacts with mp4 and h.265 Web videos and Cable /SAT HD LITE and other web video streams are unavoidable. when viewing close up especially on a bigger screen you shouldn't see them on a regular stationary web page at all

The Mpeg 4 and H .265 video compression artifacts are in your signal not from the TV . The better the TV and bigger the screen the more apparent artifacts can become and they can vary quite a bit from TV channel to TV channel or different web sites.

Your set should have some noise reduction settings try med or low settings or see how they are at normal view distance if set to high they can kill picture detail .

Mpeg compression artifacts are more noticeable on solid and darker color backgrounds and bigger screens they can be annoying especially if the brightness and sharpness are set to high A lot of pre sets tend to emphasize those especially in vivid and sport modes. ,

Some sets smooth video noise out better than others but usually at the expense off sharpness and detail another thing to do is turn your sharpness and brightness down a bit .Calibrating your set and /or just adjusting black levels (contrast and brightness properly can help a lot. The only really clean 1080p is Blue Ray .

how is your Computer connected to the TV? I'm assuming your computer otherwise supports HD ? to connect HDMI or at least DVI-D to HDMI are best . it's usually best to set your PC your PC to 1080P output OTOH On some sets *sometimes a custom 1920 X 1080/ 59 Hz resolution setting on the PC can help with the flicker thing .

Your TV should absolutely not flicker on a computer set up and working correctly that otherwise supports HD video . Ordinarily your video drivers and the PC to TV EIDE

handshake should auto set everything except maybe some minor scaling adjustments just fine . If not try the 59Hz thing .

As for the flashing back light motion thing I usually keep those things turned of anyway they can often take away more picture quality than they supposedly fix they might be OK with fast with fast action sports and slow panning YMMV but they usually aren't much good for movies and TV and best left off altogether 99% of the time .

Maybe someone with an LED Samsung can advise you on what *you are seeing and if your set is OK or not . My Samsung Plasma ofc has no motion issues so I can't help you there.

OTOH my 4 non plasma sets all have some motion issues to one degree or another thats the nature of LCD TV panels but again I leave all the motion enhancements and Blur reduction settings off YMMV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What I mean to say is not really artifacts what I mean to say is on BLACK backgrounds there were a few small "glitches" when I activated Dynamic Contrast.

So what you're saying is its not normal for there to be flashing or flickering on black images when Auto Motion Plus is on? Becuase I turn it off and it goes away I really dont want to return my TV if this is normal.

/edit

I tried that video andit looks phenominal I had no issues... ok heres the weird part I took of Dynamic Contrast and the artifacting went away? So it seems like maybe that was a glitch with my GPU possibly or a messed up setting? Regaurdless all seems fine now.

But my question still remains is it normal for slight flickering (more or less dimming) when Auto Motion Plus is on? When I'm in a game this doesn't happen but say if I go on my PC via my TV and it's on the black backgrounds have this weird dimming when I move the mouse. Once disabled it is gone if this is normal I can live with this but if it's not I NEED to know so I can go get a new TV (going to get the same one as the picture is phenominal)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts