AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,


I just bought Samsung 40C6400RF LED TV and my first impression was very good until I connected my Xbox 360 and started playing Call of Duty: Black Ops. I would like to say that there is VERY bad lag when playing it. You can really tell that image on the screen moves much much slower than what you do on controller.


I am running it thru HDMI cable in 1080p. Also, what is so disappointing is that my other TV Samsung 720p 32inch has ZERO lag. That is why I didn't even know that xbox can lag on HDTV.



I've read different things. One saying that xbox 360, ps3 and such shouldn't experience lag with HDTV b/c they output digital content. But then in another thread it was told that Xbox games are 720p and if you have TV set to 1080p then it will lag due to upconversion?



Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Is my TV defective or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
It is known for it's high input lag. The only solution is to replace your TV with a different model with lower input lag, such as LG LE5400 or Sharp LE810.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with LG 47LX6500 and my ps3 with black ops... You could look for some samsung videos on youtube or look something in this forums, I found a forum for my model.

Ive read that it is because the speed (hz) if you can turn this off you will have a better gaming experience...


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarman15 /forum/post/19510204


I'm having the same problem with LG 47LX6500 and my ps3 with black ops... You could look for some samsung videos on youtube or look something in this forums, I found a forum for my model.

Ive read that it is because the speed (hz) if you can turn this off you will have a better gaming experience...


Good luck!

That's called motion enhancers (LG calls its TruMotion) and should not be confused with 120hz/240hz/etc (which cannot be turned off)


The motion enhancers can be turned off. Be sure to set the input in which your PS3 is connected to, into "GAME MODE" to remove any post-processing that introduces lag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicgold /forum/post/19506731


Hi guys,


I just bought Samsung 40C6400RF LED TV and my first impression was very good until I connected my Xbox 360 and started playing Call of Duty: Black Ops. I would like to say that there is VERY bad lag when playing it. You can really tell that image on the screen moves much much slower than what you do on controller.


I am running it thru HDMI cable in 1080p. Also, what is so disappointing is that my other TV Samsung 720p 32inch has ZERO lag. That is why I didn't even know that xbox can lag on HDTV.



I've read different things. One saying that xbox 360, ps3 and such shouldn't experience lag with HDTV b/c they output digital content. But then in another thread it was told that Xbox games are 720p and if you have TV set to 1080p then it will lag due to upconversion?



Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Is my TV defective or what?

Most LCD tv's have this issue, which is why they have a special GAME mode which turns off Auto Motion Plus (AMP) and other processing in order to minimize lag.


I play MW2, BF BC2, Black Ops on my 46C650 with no issues so there is hope, but you may need make some changes to your settings.


Firstly, set the tv input your gaming on to GAME mode. It's in a wierd spot:

MENU → Support → General or somewhere around there. I'm not at home right now so don't quote me on this. Once that input is set to game mode it stays in game mode so you only have to do it once. You can also adjust some (not all) picture settings in game mode to your liking.


Next you need to go to your Xbox video display settings and check the video output display settings. I have a PS3 so not sure where they are on the Xbox, but the display settings themselves should be similar. On my PS3 I tick off all the available output options (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). On the Xbox I think you tick OPTIMAL, which does the same thing. This allows the Xbox/PS3to output the game in it's native resolution and not upscale before output to the tv. Most games are 720p so allowing for native output makes a difference.


These should help. Let us know if they make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@MJDDawg,


Thanks a lot for the advices. I actually called Samsung support and they told me same thing - to turn on Game mode. I did that and while it is better than with game mode off it is still not that good.


What is amazing is that my year old LN32B460 I play Black Ops on STANDARD mode (i didn't even know that sammys have game mode) and it plays PERFECT. ZERO lag whatsoever. And this new TV that cost me 4(!!) times more than my older sammy is crap for gaming...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicgold
@MJDDawg,


Thanks a lot for the advices. I actually called Samsung support and they told me same thing - to turn on Game mode. I did that and while it is better than with game mode off it is still not that good.


What is amazing is that my year old LN32B460 I play Black Ops on STANDARD mode (i didn't even know that sammys have game mode) and it plays PERFECT. ZERO lag whatsoever. And this new TV that cost me 4(!!) times more than my older sammy is crap for gaming...
Samsung is pretty bad with input lag even with game mode on. I bought one and returned it for that reason.


The reason your old tv as no apparent lag vs the more recent one is that back then, TV manufacturer weren't processing the image as much. Now, it's a war between manufacturer to try to produce the best picture while using the cheapest panel available. To do this, they have to manipulate, transform and enhanced the picture before displaying it to you. This process is the one creating input lag in video games.


Usually, game mode will deactivate most of these process to reduce input lag but Samsung for some reason does a really bad job at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just got a Samsung UN406300 LED a couple weeks ago and was tryin to find a away around the horrible input lag for xbox360. What worked for me was disabling "display discovery" in the xbox system/display settings. It restarts your xbox and then i just went in and put the same settings i had in manually, entered my TV size where it asks and disabled the 3D option cause it didn't apply to my TV. The xbox restarted one more time after disabling the 3d option and I could feel right away while navigating through the xbox menus that the lag was gone. When i tried out gears of war 2 I confirmed the input lag was finally gone. Now i can play with auto motion plus set on smooth without any problems. I hate how game mode looks. This worked great for me and its worth a try if your having problems with input lag. I guess this doesn't apply if you already have display discovery disabled. good luck and i know this is an old thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
This is one of my main concerns in buying a new HDTV. I have been considering a Panasonic plasma and the Sony 46HX929. I am going with the Sony 46HX929despite all those saying "get the plasma". But I love the Sony brand and the PS3. Anybody have this particular model and experience any lag with video games? I would hate to spend nearly $2200 on a TV where I won't perform well on my multiplayer video games as I have on the current TV (Vizio 26" LCD).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Yeah I don't know about all this. I gamed hard and heavily on two different Panasonic Plasmas for years, and then just recently replaced my gaming set with a Samsung LED LCD set....


I noticed a SLIGHT difference, but my mind adjusted to it within just a few minutes. I do just as well as I did on the plasmas online with games like Gears 2, Halo Reach, Modern Warfare 2, COD, Transformers WfC.


Even with the "Sweet spot" reload in Gears 2, I was able to adjust in minutes, and I never had to think about it again.


I think you guys are focusing on it too hard or something, because even with Auto Motion Plus set to standard, it doesn't effect my performance in the least. My brain adjusts to the tiny difference without a problem....we are talking milliseconds here.


A friend I play Reach with is into all this input lag on the tv, latency on the network/server, and all that stuff.....Guess what though....he stinks. Bats 1000 in every game we play together lol. If your hearts set on an LCD set, you would be foolish to buy a plasma because you think your going to lose some sort of gaming edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtrev /forum/post/20932160


I just got a Samsung UN406300 LED a couple weeks ago and was tryin to find a away around the horrible input lag for xbox360. What worked for me was disabling "display discovery" in the xbox system/display settings. It restarts your xbox and then i just went in and put the same settings i had in manually, entered my TV size where it asks and disabled the 3D option cause it didn't apply to my TV. The xbox restarted one more time after disabling the 3d option and I could feel right away while navigating through the xbox menus that the lag was gone. When i tried out gears of war 2 I confirmed the input lag was finally gone. Now i can play with auto motion plus set on smooth without any problems. I hate how game mode looks. This worked great for me and its worth a try if your having problems with input lag. I guess this doesn't apply if you already have display discovery disabled. good luck and i know this is an old thread

I don't know if you're going to read this, but I just registered just to say THANK YOU


There is still a (smaller) lag, which is reduced even more if game mode is turned on, but in any case, what you said about disabling "display discovery" and the 3D option on the Xbox helps a lot with the lag issue. After this, I also prefer to disable game mode, as the lag is not that bad now and I also don't like how game mode looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

avtrev

 

I just got a Samsung UN406300 LED a couple weeks ago and was tryin to find a away around the horrible input lag for xbox360. What worked for me was disabling "display discovery" in the xbox system/display settings. It restarts your xbox and then i just went in and put the same settings i had in manually, entered my TV size where it asks and disabled the 3D option cause it didn't apply to my TV. The xbox restarted one more time after disabling the 3d option and I could feel right away while navigating through the xbox menus that the lag was gone. When i tried out gears of war 2 I confirmed the input lag was finally gone. Now i can play with auto motion plus set on smooth without any problems. I hate how game mode looks. This worked great for me and its worth a try if your having problems with input lag. I guess this doesn't apply if you already have display discovery disabled. good luck and i know this is an old thread

 

 

 

 

 

this works for me too.. thanks for the advice! COD especially suffers for the lag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Super old thread...but, another trick is setting your xbox's input label to "PC". Can sometimes disable some processing that still gets left on with game mode - and adds to lag.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top