AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having the weirdest issue with my LED tv and was wondering if I could get some help before asking support through Samsung (in case it's something obvious that I am missing)...

Basically the TV turns itself on some time after being turned off. It doesn't happen after a certain period of time, and I have only seen it happen once (the other times happened overnight).

I have a ps3, appletv 2 and a Samsung HT-C5500 bluray player connected to the TV and I have tried disabling each one to see if it was triggered by any, but it keeps turning on.

The TV is also connected to the internet using a wired connection.

THis really sucks - sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night because I forgot to pull the plug, or go out for the weekend to come back and find it one.

Do you have any idea on why this happens?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If the TV uses an IR remote you could have a stray IR signal from a failing fluorescent bulb or other IR source. Try covering the IR signal receiver in the bezel of the TV with a piece of card stock or opaque tape to verify that it is a problem within the TV and not from another souce in the room the TV is in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford  /t/1462007/samsung-led-tv-ue46c6530-issue-turns-on-by-itself#post_23050053

If the TV uses an IR remote you could have a stray IR signal from a failing fluorescent bulb or other IR source. Try covering the IR signal receiver in the bezel of the TV with a piece of card stock or opaque tape to verify that it is a problem within the TV and not from another souce in the room the TV is in.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I took a long time to reply because it's not very easy to verify what's wrong. I took your recommendation and the most likely culprit I found is the tv remote. If I leave it pointing at the TV overnight there's a good probability the TV will turn on.

Is this reasonable? If so, I guess I should RMA the remote right? Also, is there a way to prove that the IR remote is failing (for RMA proof)?

thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts