AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at both and decided on the 4051d based on looks since I couldn't tell a difference in picture. However I hear that I may be wrong. Is there really a big difference between the sets? Also aren't wide screen dvds supposed to fill up the screen. For some reason mine still has black bars on the top and bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
I compared both sets side by side, and I couldn't tell any difference either. The reviewer on C/Net actually wrote that the 4051 had a better black level than the 4092 in his opinion. I've been perfectly happy with the 4051.


As for the black bars, you'll still see them on movies that were filmed in 2.35:1 aspect. 16:9 is 1.85:1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I just ordered a 4092. I went with the 4092 over the 4051 because it has the Wide Color Gamut backlight. This means this set is displaying 92% of the colors instead of the 72% that the 4051 can do. This backlight also runs cooler than an LCD that does not have this feature. Lastly, the 4092 has a 10 bit color processor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller23217 /forum/post/0


I just ordered a 4092. I went with the 4092 over the 4051 because it has the Wide Color Gamut backlight. This means this set is displaying 92% of the colors instead of the 72% that the 4051 can do. This backlight also runs cooler than an LCD that does not have this feature. Lastly, the 4092 has a 10 bit color processor.

I know its better on paper just wanted to know if their is any real world differences. Anyways I have 30 days to decide whether or not I want to switch. I will say I do prefer the 51's design much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/0


I compared both sets side by side, and I couldn't tell any difference either. The reviewer on C/Net actually wrote that the 4051 had a better black level than the 4092 in his opinion. I've been perfectly happy with the 4051.


As for the black bars, you'll still see them on movies that were filmed in 2.35:1 aspect. 16:9 is 1.85:1.

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using the settings you listed for your 51. So far so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean1300r /forum/post/0


I know its better on paper just wanted to know if their is any real world differences. Anyways I have 30 days to decide whether or not I want to switch. I will say I do prefer the 51's design much more.

I didn't have an opportunity to see these sets side-by-side but I went with the 4092 for the peace of mind, I guess you could say. I feel more comfortable having the WCG-CCFL and 10 bit processor. Plus I got a great deal from Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/0


Glad you like it. It's an awesome set, IMHO. My only regret is that it's $650 cheaper now than when I bought it back in August '06.

Yeah i work at best buy so I get a decent discount. The 4092 really wasnt much more thats why I was wondering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/0


I compared both sets side by side, and I couldn't tell any difference either. The reviewer on C/Net actually wrote that the 4051 had a better black level than the 4092 in his opinion. I've been perfectly happy with the 4051.


As for the black bars, you'll still see them on movies that were filmed in 2.35:1 aspect. 16:9 is 1.85:1.

OK so I put in a normal 1:85:1 DVD and there is a small about 1/2 inch black bar just on the bottom of the screen. Anyone ever have a problem with this? Is there a way to fix it? I dont know what to do about it but if it doesnt go away I might return the tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean1300r /forum/post/0


OK so I put in a normal 1:85:1 DVD and there is a small about 1/2 inch black bar just on the bottom of the screen. Anyone ever have a problem with this? Is there a way to fix it? I dont know what to do about it but if it doesnt go away I might return the tv.

A 16 by 9 ratio display screen is 16/9 which is 1.7777777

So there SHOULD be a black bar or two when showing a 1.85 DVD, although you would think there would be TWO thin black bars, top and bottom, not just one.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top